Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2015, 10:04 AM   #1

Currently long waits at cummins coach care centers

Well, off on a 10 day trip to Colorado. Lost a high pressure fuel line at injector pump. (In the middle of no where, of course) Got towed into cummins care center Albequeque. One week back log to even look at it (with no appointment, obviously) they did slide us in after three days. Determined that injector line was leaking badly... They have part in stock, but another several days to even get a tech to install it (about 1 1/2 hour job). Crazy. Inside fence " RV park" full!! Ruined our vacation. Oh well! Service manager mentioned that Denver's Cummins is two weeks backed up! There's got to be a better way! My co-polit suggested that we schedule appointments at all cummins centers on our route, then bi-pass if we don't need them. Haha. As they seem to honor appointments and if your stuck on road without one, your at their discretion to try any fit you in somewhere. Ugh. Signed very disappointed!
CWTeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
WDW

We have generator issues. We got in at Buffalo but they are having an internal debate whether to fix (they are not sure what is wrong) or replace it under warranty. Week one is flying by and fall camping is sliding towards winter....

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley travels. '15 Jayco Greyhawk 31FK.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #3

Whether its Cummins, Cat, Freightliner or others, most "coach care centers" are primarily commercial truck service centers. Any capable truck service shop is almost always backed up with both appointments and breakdowns. They almost always give priority to the commercial truckers who are losing wages when broke down, whether they have an appointment or not. At most of these shops, (other than routine service) a repair appointment just means that's when you can drop it off and we'll get to it when we can.
I'd say you were lucky to get looked at in 3 days and will be very lucky if you're back on the road in a week.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:53 PM   #4

You might buy the part and get another mechanic to install it in a smaller shop??
Just saying as I have no clue what is involved...
Old 09-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #5

You are correct about preference given to commercial drivers. I've seen at least 40 come and go. I think their companies have service contracts with cummins and get taken care of quickly. RV'ers are looked upon as a one time deal and put at back of line. Plus I notice 10 bays for commercial trucks and two for RV's?? Thanks for your comments. I don't feel any better. Hahaha.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:07 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Cummings is the only one left for MH's?

Isn't Cummings the only major diesel engine supplier left? Basically all of the new MH Class A manufactures use Cummings engines as no one else is left that supplies new diesel engines for Class A RV's? Guess that has to have a major impact when it comes time to get service done on them? I suspect the problem of long wait times, in general, to get service, will only get worse?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:07 PM   #7

No problem getting into Denver Cummins

I had my coach into Cummins Rocky Mountain in Denver last week. Called on Friday the 18th and took the coach in on Monday the 21th. They had to order a part from Spartan and still had the coach ready for pickup the following Friday afternoon. So the comment that the waiting period at Denver is two weeks is not true.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:21 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't know what happened but my post is missing!
Had a starter go out right in front of the house as were were leaving. Got towed to a Freightliner shop that told CoachNet they could take us right in. Got there and they denied ever saying that (CoachNet had a recording of it). Tow driver overheard one of the shop people saying he "didn't know it was a motorhome". They wanted us to leave it for a week till they could get to it. CoachNet did authorize the tow driver to take it to another shop and they had us out just after midnight.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:20 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchstr3884 View Post
I had my coach into Cummins Rocky Mountain in Denver last week. Called on Friday the 18th and took the coach in on Monday the 21th. They had to order a part from Spartan and still had the coach ready for pickup the following Friday afternoon. So the comment that the waiting period at Denver is two weeks is not true.
I had work done by Rocky Mountain Cummins in Billings, MT. Took me in right away, completed work in several days and charged me a reasonable price (after comparing it with others on this web site). Also got a call from corporate a week later checking if work was done to my satisfaction.

If I need work done while on the road I will check to see if any Rocky Mountain shops are nearby.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #10

To OP, I don't understand why you are disappointed. The Cummins shop there was extremely busy and had commitments to a lot people before you. They treated everyone equally including you which is what you would want isn't it?

There are other, independent, shops that are just as good as Cummins. Why did you not try one of them?

Also, the RV industry has been selling Class A DP motorhomes in double digit increases for the last few years. There are just more of us out on the road. As long as the economy stays healthy, trucks will also be busy and in need of maintenance.

Instead of sitting around waiting, start looking for an alternative. Just my two cents.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Don't feel bad....this is the worst travel season we have seen in 14 years of summer traveling. If you don't have reservations at an RV park they have been booked by 4PM. In CO they were booked a month ago.

More Baby Boomers retiring, lower fuel price, record RV sales, more people traveling and everything RV related was booked. We lost a new roof A/C and all the RV dealers in So Dakota were booked 4 weeks out. We had to go to Denver to get it replaced. But no RV parks to stay in...we had to stay at Cabela's parking lot. I think it will get a lot worse and a plan "B" is going to be happening more often.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTeel View Post
Well, off on a 10 day trip to Colorado. Lost a high pressure fuel line at injector pump. (In the middle of no where, of course) Got towed into cummins care center Albequeque. One week back log to even look at it (with no appointment, obviously) they did slide us in after three days. Determined that injector line was leaking badly... They have part in stock, but another several days to even get a tech to install it (about 1 1/2 hour job). Crazy. Inside fence " RV park" full!! Ruined our vacation. Oh well! Service manager mentioned that Denver's Cummins is two weeks backed up! There's got to be a better way! My co-polit suggested that we schedule appointments at all cummins centers on our route, then bi-pass if we don't need them. Haha. As they seem to honor appointments and if your stuck on road without one, your at their discretion to try any fit you in somewhere. Ugh. Signed very disappointed!
Why not just buy the injector line, that was in stock, either install and bleed, or get one of their techs to do it after hours. I would offer them double what they make to replace it.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
To OP, I don't understand why you are disappointed. The Cummins shop there was extremely busy and had commitments to a lot people before you. They treated everyone equally including you which is what you would want isn't it?

There are other, independent, shops that are just as good as Cummins. Why did you not try one of them?

Also, the RV industry has been selling Class A DP motorhomes in double digit increases for the last few years. There are just more of us out on the road. As long as the economy stays healthy, trucks will also be busy and in need of maintenance.

Instead of sitting around waiting, start looking for an alternative. Just my two cents.
I was initially towed into Lisa's Truck stop in Moriarty, Co. ($550) They really didn't want to deal with RV but I convinced them to take a look. They said leak is not a small issue (not hose or something they could fix). I then had to call same tow service to get towed into Cummins Albequeque ($575). We now subscribe to good Sam Road Side . My disappointment is not so much with that shop as it is with the preference given to the commercial truckers over the RVers! They look at us as a "one time" deal and really think we are all retired and don't have a problem staying in their RV park for a week or two. I'm not retired and my time is valuable, especially when I plan a lengthy vacation (which I'm not often able to do). A foot note : the entire place opened at 7 am (not a second earlier) and closed at 5 pm. Also closed Saturday and Sunday! Really, you have several people literally living at your doorstep and they carry on as a normal day? I guess I'm just more client oriented in my business! I would get more mechanics, expand hours, etc to accommodate. Any-hoo, all is well back on road.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWTeel View Post
I was initially towed into Lisa's Truck stop in Moriarty, Co. ($550) They really didn't want to deal with RV but I convinced them to take a look. They said leak is not a small issue (not hose or something they could fix). I then had to call same tow service to get towed into Cummins Albequeque ($575). We now subscribe to good Sam Road Side . My disappointment is not so much with that shop as it is with the preference given to the commercial truckers over the RVers! They look at us as a "one time" deal and really think we are all retired and don't have a problem staying in their RV park for a week or two. I'm not retired and my time is valuable, especially when I plan a lengthy vacation (which I'm not often able to do). A foot note : the entire place opened at 7 am (not a second earlier) and closed at 5 pm. Also closed Saturday and Sunday! Really, you have several people literally living at your doorstep and they carry on as a normal day? I guess I'm just more client oriented in my business! I would get more mechanics, expand hours, etc to accommodate. Any-hoo, all is well back on road.
Glad you got the repair you needed. I think I would have hung around the employee entrance at 5 PM and ask a few of the guys if they wanted to make some $$ on the side, perhaps on Saturday.

Tags
cummins