RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2020, 12:07 PM   #1

Curtain cleaning options?

All,
I have a 2004 Fleetwood that had a windshield leak that was due to poor installation when it was replaced last fall. It leaked onto the curtains which water stained them pretty badly in spots.
What are my options for cleaning? Can I put them in my washing machine, gentle cycle and line dry?
If they need to be replaced, where can I source a replacement set? The company that replaced the windshield said they would buy a replacement pair if needed.
Agility57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ours were in pretty bad shape when we bought our 2002 model in 2009. We happen to find a new set marked down at CW but my wife took the old ones in to the dry cleaners. They did a great job, they look like new and keep them as a spare set.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several weeks ago there was a thread on this very subject.

Most people were able to wash them in a washing machine with good results.

A few had to buy new ones as the washing destroyed them.

So give it a try. If it works...great. If it doesn't...oh well.

The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Ours were in pretty bad shape when we bought our 2002 model in 2009. We happen to find a new set marked down at CW but my wife took the old ones in to the dry cleaners. They did a great job, they look like new and keep them as a spare set.
Thanks. Do you recall the cost for dry cleaning?
Old 09-17-2020, 12:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Several weeks ago there was a thread on this very subject.

Most people were able to wash them in a washing machine with good results.

A few had to buy new ones as the washing destroyed them.

So give it a try. If it works...great. If it doesn't...oh well.
I am kind of leaning that way, DW is nervous about ruining them.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I washed mine by hand in Cold Water with Dawn Dish washer soap rinsed then Dyed them to match my interior with Rite Dye. Line dried and ironed looks great.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #7

Oxyclean and Dawn or laundry detergent does wonders in the bath tub soak.Then you can give them a shorter/gentler wash and rinse cycle ,as most of work is done. Put hooks back on then line dry to retain nice curtain shape. My double lined curtains came 95% clean. I won't lie I did restitch a couple places I believe these were hand made.
I even had one day/night shade that was filthy. I just soaked it in SB bath tub Oxy+dawn+ detergent hosed it off with shower sprayer. Line dried pleated it back up and tied up up some to get good tight creases again.Now it's the cleanest one MH. No washing machine on blinds of course.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #8

Folex spot cleaner for carpet works when directions are followed,just don't soak them. I have used it for cleaning the ceiling carpet material, windshield curtains, padded carpet-type material on valances, and of course the carpet.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:16 PM   #9

I also had a windshield leak that stain my curtains.

I took them home wash and dried them on gentle cycle.

They came out looking like new.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:07 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On 16 year old curtains....I would not clean them with anything that mechanically agitates the like a washing machine or dryer. Use Woolite and wash by hand or take the to the dry cleaner.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:38 AM   #11

Dawn tub wash. Followed by starch and ironing to keep the folds and stiffness of the pleats.
Dav L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:37 AM   #12

Thanks to all!

I will try the hand washing method in the bathtub, line dry outside while the weather is clear and dry. I
I will post my results.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:21 PM   #13

Some folks on escapees use a new trash can, fill with oxy-clean solution and allow to soak before agitating up/down. Then they did as DaveL described.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:30 AM   #14

Update:
I washed them in the bathtub, allowing some soak time with Dawn dishwashing liquid. It was absolutely amazing to see how dirty these were, the water was dark brown!
I strung a rope outside, opened them out fully to dry and they look great! No extra ironing or anything needed. 95% of the stains came out, have to look really hard to find what is still there. Maybe if I soaked them a bit longer all would have come out, but overall extremely satisfied with the results.
Thanks hanks for the tips, highly recommend the bathtub process!