Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2021, 11:40 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Custom Made Window Awnings

I have a roll of the fabric for our patio awning that the previous owner bought at some time.
I was thinking it would be nice to have window awnings made for our Newmar Canyon Star 3911.
The issue seems to be trying to find a company that would use the material to manufacture the awnings. Or to sew them to provide to awning companies to use.
Any ideas?
Thanks
John in Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2021, 12:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Miami View Post
I have a roll of the fabric for our patio awning that the previous owner bought at some time.
I was thinking it would be nice to have window awnings made for our Newmar Canyon Star 3911.
The issue seems to be trying to find a company that would use the material to manufacture the awnings. Or to sew them to provide to awning companies to use.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Out here in the south west, we use a company named ShadePro. They custom make their own awnings. Maybe they'd help you out? Phone 800-328-5100.

Best call them as I'm not certain they'd be able to help and of course, you're over in Florida.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, certainly worth a call. Many thanks!
Old 04-30-2021, 01:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Miami View Post
Well, certainly worth a call. Many thanks!
Forgot to mention, in the olden days when I was a backpacker, if the Outdoor Club needed to have an awning stitched up for us, a new tent made, a thick backpack made, we'd just head over to our friendly Tent maker. After all these years I could still drive right to their small store...of course they're closed now...but the anecdote is just to give you a lead. Thing is that it was a small private outfit, not a giant worldwide tent maker, and where we could get stuff done at a reasonable cost. They were happy to help, and the cost was always reasonable.

Anyway, here's some tent makers, maybe one is near you so you could go visit, press the flesh, see if they could help: Tents in Florida

Well, shoot, that link isn't worth the effort. But, you know what I mean I think.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 09:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Good quality awning material is expensive. It gets lots of abuse between wind, rain and sun. The thread is just as important.

Tallin Mfg in Florida does awnings, toppers and a host of other services. AKA StoneVos. You might look them up and talk to them. They have been very helpful and Chris does frequent IRV2 and other sites.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 05:41 AM   #6

When we first started our canvas business, a customer wanted to provide the fabric. They washed the fabric and the sizing was gone so it was hard to cut to shape and sew.
Several years later a friend wanted us to stitch a cover together that he had cut to shape. When it did not fit, he blamed us. So never again we supplied everything or would not do it!
If people refuse to use your fabric, its probably because they learned the hard way not to do it.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 06:17 AM   #7

As I read the problem, you already have the fabric, but cannot find someone willing to make the awning(s) to fit your rig. Is it correct that you want to replace the existing awnings with the new fabric? I suggest you visit with some local sailmakers. Shouldn’t be hard to find one in your location.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:02 AM   #8

If the material is suitable. Many boat cover makers will sew an awning, easier if you supply the old one to copy. Should be a piece of cake compared to some of the custom fit bass boat covers I have seen made. The spline may need to be replaced.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 07:59 AM   #9

Since you're already in FL, I'd look no further than Stone Vos. They're just north of Tampa.
Stone Vos RV Awnings and Slide Topper Replacement Fabrics
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardE View Post
As I read the problem, you already have the fabric, but cannot find someone willing to make the awning(s) to fit your rig. Is it correct that you want to replace the existing awnings with the new fabric? I suggest you visit with some local sailmakers. Shouldn’t be hard to find one in your location.
No, we want to take the material, and have window awnings made for it.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
When we first started our canvas business, a customer wanted to provide the fabric. They washed the fabric and the sizing was gone so it was hard to cut to shape and sew.
Several years later a friend wanted us to stitch a cover together that he had cut to shape. When it did not fit, he blamed us. So never again we supplied everything or would not do it!
If people refuse to use your fabric, its probably because they learned the hard way not to do it.
I can certainly understand that!
Sadly, this is new material.
Oh well. Maybe not to be!
Old 05-01-2021, 02:57 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
If the material is suitable. Many boat cover makers will sew an awning, easier if you supply the old one to copy. Should be a piece of cake compared to some of the custom fit bass boat covers I have seen made. The spline may need to be replaced.
I spoke with an awning company, he said the spines would probably need to be replaced.
It would be a custom size.
I'm thinking it might not be as easy as I had hoped.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:49 PM   #13

I looked up "spline" because I couldn't think of proper term, it's available . You need to check both ends for size. Might need cheap digital caliper.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, awnings, wind, window