Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #1

Damaged Alcoa wheels

Had 6 new tires installed today. 245x75x22.5
When I picked up the motorhome I was surprised how dirty the wheels were. Drive the coach back to our site and began to wash them well. They were in immaculate shape as I had just polished them with Mother’s less than 6 months ago.
Shocked to find both the passenger and driver front wheels to be heavily scratched a s gouged. Very upset. Took some pics and went back to the tire shop and showed them to the manager. He wants me to bring the coach back next week to dismount the fronts and send them out for repair. Has anyone had such an experience. Not sure deep gouges can be buffed out! Any thoughts are appreciated
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
When I picked up the motorhome I was surprised how dirty the wheels were. Drive the coach back to our site and began to wash them well. They were in immaculate shape as I had just polished them with Mother’s less than 6 months ago.
Shocked to find both the passenger and driver front wheels to be heavily scratched a s gouged. Very upset. Took some pics and went back to the tire shop and showed them to the manager. He wants me to bring the coach back next week to dismount the fronts and send them out for repair. Has anyone had such an experience. Not sure deep gouges can be buffed out! Any thoughts are appreciated
Following this as I've had a similar experience. Emailed the shopback home as we are on a trip. They said to bring mine in for a look see and decide if they canhave it polished out?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:12 PM   #3

I used to manufacture forged aluminum alloy wheels. Scratches even ones fairly deep are usually no problem to polish out. Gouges are another story. It will depend where they are and how deep. A professional using a polishing machine is the only way to go. The tires will have to be dismounted in order to machine polish. I assume you want close to a mirror finish. This is called buffing for color.
dougfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:31 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had 4 tires put on the rear on my American Eagle that have the Dura Bright Alcoa's on them last summer & told the manager I had an issue with the last tire place with the fronts IE: I watched the tech put a rubber mat down & break the tire down but it was scooting off the mat & tried not to tell him how to do his job but it did scratched the one rim (the tech working on the other side didn't have this issue) & these rims were in perfect condition...I brought it to the manages attention...he looked at it apologize & discounted the install. I wasn't going to allow it to happen again..this manage asked do I want a rubber or rug as a protected mat...I was allowed to be right at my coach & watch the complete process (even though sign said i shouldn't be in the shop)..that's the way it should go!!
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 05:33 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The Les Schwabb I get my tires replaced at, they always put down a scrap of carpet before they lay the wheel down on the shiny side.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:36 PM   #6

I just had new fronts put on my motor home 245/70/22.5 and the wheels were not removed tech made it look so easy I started thinking those babies were about to fall off on there own. He said if they get to low on air they will come off on their own .He did not use any tools putting them back on just his hands .
swampdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog2 View Post
I just had new fronts put on my motor home 245/70/22.5 and the wheels were not removed tech made it look so easy I started thinking those babies were about to fall off on there own. He said if they get to low on air they will come off on their own .He did not use any tools putting them back on just his hands .
I want my wheels/tires balanced. I guess if you use centramatics or beads, that takes care of it.... otherwise, they need to come off for spin balance.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
It has happened on my previous coach, some of those guys are animals and have no brains when it comes to handling nice polished wheels. A second time for a leak I had to watch over them and make sure they put down a blanket and then had to tell the guy he had to remove the lug cover to get at the actual lug nut. Take it back and have them polish them and foot the bill for being stupid.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:

I had a tire changed by a road side service they put it face down on the gravel ruined the wheel.
Old 03-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #10

From what I’ve research it will be damn near impossible to remove the multiple gouges on both wheels. Scratches may be able to be polished out but not sure who in Yuma AZ has the expertise! Can’t confirm the size of the wheel. 22.5x? Should make them buy me two new wheels. Probably $300 each I would think. Coach is 10 years old and don’t know how this issue affects value or marketability.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:54 PM   #11

Quote:
From what I’ve research it will be damn near impossible to remove the multiple gouges on both wheels. Scratches may be able to be polished out but not sure who in Yuma AZ has the expertise! Can’t confirm the size of the wheel. 22.5x? Should make them buy me two new wheels. Probably $300 each I would think. Coach is 10 years old and don’t know how this issue affects value or marketability.
You have 22.5"x 7.5" wheels with eight lugs
Tom.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Could they have swapped the fronts with the outside rear duals which would account for what was a clean wheel and became a very dirty wheel. The gouged surface might have been up against the inside rear. If they pulled all six, installed the new rubber, then reinstalled all six it's pretty easy to not get everything back in the same location it came from.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #13
US1

Gouges are material displaced. Polishing will not replace the gouges. They will have to sand/polish the area around the gouge down (remove more material) until the gouge is gone. Then buff. A good polisher can make it not noticeable, but the fact is, that area will be a small recess
Old 03-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #14

How about the coated alum rims?
Is it possible to polish and recoat?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote