Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #1

Damon Challenger 2000

I am having problems starting my rv. It started at first try but when I try again it only makes a clicking sound. I have replaced the starter and it still will not work. I HAVE DISCONNECTED THE OTHER 2 BATTERIES AND ONLY HAVE THE ONE HOOKED UP. I cannot figure this out . Does anyone know what could be causing this ?

Thanks
DAMON330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
Have you tried jumper cables to another vehicle so that you can eliminate the battery as the problem? All your battery connections corrosion free? Do your headlights and radio turn on OK?
koresample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Starter problem

I had a similar problem on my 2002 challenger and spent 2 hours trying to find the problem, then it just started. This happened several times, so I started carrying around jumper cables and connected the battery to the starter with the cables to get it running. Never did find the problem until I replaced the battery and found that Damon put to long of a bolt in the battery to hold the terminals on the positive side and they sometimes didn't make contact. Since I replaced the battery and corrected the (to long bolt) problem, I've never had the problem again. I would start there and check all there connection, assuming the battery is in good condition.

chysm60
Ken
2002 Damon Challenger 335
Chysm60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Generally if all your getting is a clicking, it is the battery. Had to replace mine in April for the same reason. If the battery is too far gone a jump won't help. Take the battery out and bring it to either Advance or Auto Zone and get it tested. Chances are you need a new battery. Hope that helps

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger soon to be 2013 Thor Challenger
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It's most likely the battery is bad or, you have bad connections on the battery terminals and/or the NEG ground connection on the frame. Corroded frame connection on older MHs are quite common.

I would clean/check all this first. Then you can take the battery to any battery shop and have it load tested.

Your Damon should have Start/Boost switch on the dash. If either the chassis or house battery gets too low, operating that switch will connect both to each other. Generally it's used to start the coach with a boost from the house batteries. However, if your house batts are down, you can use the chassis batt to boost them to start the genny.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMON330 View Post
I am having problems starting my rv. It started at first try but when I try again it only makes a clicking sound. I have replaced the starter and it still will not work. I HAVE DISCONNECTED THE OTHER 2 BATTERIES AND ONLY HAVE THE ONE HOOKED UP. I cannot figure this out . Does anyone know what could be causing this ?

Thanks
Have you tried totally disconnecting all batteries then overnight charging them individually? Of course when reconnecting them, carefully clean (sandpaper or wire brush) all terminals, cable ends, and grounding point stud.

To keep my four 12v engine start batteries at peak charge, I have a battery maintainer on all the time. A good maintainer won't overcharge batteries, and it goes into "float" mode which pulses after the bulk charge phase is complete. That adds years to battery life.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #7

Thanks for all the input . I found the problem. Even after cleaning the starter and mounting surfaces thoroughly, it still did not work. I connected a ground cable from the negative battery terminal to the starter body and it worked perfectly. Go figure
DAMON330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Bad ground connection on the NEG cable to the frame.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote