Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #1

So does anyone out there have one? Do you like it? We're considering moving over to a toyhauler and from the floorplans the wife and I have seen so far, we like this the best. We haven't seen one in person yet tho.

For the most part we'll just be hauling around a street bike or two in the garage. I wonder how difficult the unloading process is on the ramp va a liftgate.. (One of the street bikes is a big BMW K1200LT, 800+lbs.) It seems like there would be a point at the bottom of the ramp where touching the ground while seated on the bike would be impossible.

Also, I was wondering if there was a viewing platform of some sort available for the roof?

Thanks for the replies.

-Jim K.

Columbus, OH
Jim Kesterson/OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:12 AM   #2

So does anyone out there have one? Do you like it? We're considering moving over to a toyhauler and from the floorplans the wife and I have seen so far, we like this the best. We haven't seen one in person yet tho.

For the most part we'll just be hauling around a street bike or two in the garage. I wonder how difficult the unloading process is on the ramp va a liftgate.. (One of the street bikes is a big BMW K1200LT, 800+lbs.) It seems like there would be a point at the bottom of the ramp where touching the ground while seated on the bike would be impossible.

Also, I was wondering if there was a viewing platform of some sort available for the roof?

Thanks for the replies.

-Jim K.

Columbus, OH
Old 03-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #3

I'm not a potential owner, but I have seen them at shows. The rear ramp seems pretty steep. I'm not a motorcycle rider either though. So probably not much help...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I looked at one when making out decision to sell our toyhauler. I just couldn't see myself climbing up and down those stairs or laying on the mattress on the floor unable to sit up in bed.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #5

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply. Did the ramp look about as steep as a typical fifth wheel toyhauler?

Columbus, OH
Old 03-22-2007, 06:13 AM   #6

Hi Y-guy, thanks for the response. I'm not really sure that we'll be happy with that either, but we really don't like the bed in the garage of some of the other toyhaulers we've seen. So, if you don't mind my asking, what kind of toyhauler did you have? And what prompted you to sell it? We are both pretty spoiled by the interior of the Journey we have now, and a lot of the toyhaulers decor are pretty utilitarian, which neither of us really likes. The Outlaw seems like a compromise between having a toyhauler and a decent decor at a reasonable price. But again, since I've not actually been inside one, I can only comment on the pictures.

Columbus, OH
Old 03-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #7

It definitely seemed steeper. I think the floor is quite a bit higher in the Outlaw than the typical 5th wheel style toyhauler.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:29 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Hopefully I can answer some of these questions (along with a few extra comments), we took ownership of our Outlaw in February. We traded-in our Heartland Cyclone 5th wheel toyhauler, so I have experience with both mentioned here.

1. While I believe the garage is higher, the dove tail and longer ramp makes the angle comparible to our 5er.
2. I have a Victory Kingpin that I haul in back along with a lifted golf cart, both will fit nicely. Feet always able to touch the ground when pulling in the garage.
3. No viewing platform on the roof, in fact the Outlaw does not come with a ladder. Slide has an awning to keep the "stuff" off.
4. Driveability is amazing, I could never get the wife behind the wheel of the 5er, but she has already driven the Outlaw a couple of times.
5. The upstairs mattress is surprisingly comfortable and the stairs are not a problem.

Our main reason for the change was that the living space seems so much larger than the 5er because you get to include the cockpit as a part of that space. Plus all the other positive of having a motorhome.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

Eric
Old 03-25-2007, 06:32 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ive seen at least 2 outlaws on the road or possibly the same one twice here in Colorado. K&C RV has one in stock and tempted me. It would be great for carrying our Dirt bikes as we are always goiung to Motocross tracks and racing. There is definitly a trade off copared to a regular MH with the reduced living space. My wife is'nt crazy about climbing the stairs to go to bed. We have stairs in our stick house and we don't like them either. But I do like the Outlaw.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 03:39 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Could have been us in Colorado, we took the kids skiing for Spring Break and stayed in Breckenridge (Tiger Run) the week of the 12th.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:28 PM   #11

Thanks for the responses so far folks.

Eric, how has the first month of ownership been for you? Any build quality issues? Or just problems in general? As for the ramp, the LT has a seat height of about 30", I think you're Kingpin has a height of about 26". Would that extra 4" make much of a difference?

Thanks,

-Jim K.

Columbus, OH
Old 03-26-2007, 03:39 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Jim,
We have had surprising few issues (as compared to our previous 5er). Most items we caught at the PDI except for an issue with the wallpaper border not sticking and some loose connections on the TV switch box. Nothing we could not fix ourselves.

I don't think the extra 4 inches would make a difference, of course you would have to take height into account as well (I am 6-1). Since you ride up the ramp shortly after your front wheel is on the ramp your feet will be there as well.

I hope this helps, happy hunting.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:12 AM   #13

Glad to hear the motorhome has been pretty much trouble free, hope that keeps up.

We are about the same height, so it's good to know the ramp isn't really an issue vs the lift. Still I think I'm going to try to test drive the ramp prior to a purchase.

The info provided by everyone is definitely helping.

Thanks again.

-Jim K.

Columbus, OH
Old 03-27-2007, 08:30 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

HERE is a link to the official Damon Outlaw web page.....Even has a virtual tour!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland