Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dang Humidity

RVing semi full time here on Vancouver Island on an oceanfront site. Have the infamous humidity issue. Humidity condenses in the bottom foot of the windshield. Then in morning when the sun come in the beads evaporate but condense again at the top of the windshield where the roof meets the cabin cupboards. I get drips running down the back of the cabinets onto the dash. Not a lot but enough to be annoying. Have read all the threads and will probably end up buying a small dehumidifier to keep the condensation down.

PS: I first thought the issue may be the 5 rooftop clearance lights, so I removed, and recalked them all. While it was likely not a waste of time, turns out it is the humidity thats the issue. Pouring rain, no leaks whatsoever.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we place a small ceramic heater on the dash area to keep the window warm during the night and it keeps the condensation at bey

we also have three eva dry dehumidifiers , 2 small pint ones and one big quart for winter time
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #3

I open my roof vents a little and it seems to help.
BTBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Cross ventilation works every time.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
isa

Triple E Owners Club
You are obviously generating too much moisture inside your rig. Cooking, washing, LPG furnace along with breathing all produce moisture.

You need to exhaust the moist air and replace it with much dryer outside air. Sometimes just opening up a few vents will do the trick.

If not you are going to resort to using some form of exhaust fan to do the job.
isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:50 AM   #6

My cousin and her husband keep a bucket of rock salt, like you would salt your sidewalks with, in the RV. Works like magic.
Waggin Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #7

Gerall you are not alone. I have had the exact same problem.... drip drip on the dash from the top of the windshield............ two things worked for me 1 as suggested the ceramic heater at the front..... had it facing us rather then the windshield so we could benefit from the heat...... 2 open curtains before going to bed so the air can circulate better in windshield area....
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
It gets well below zero where we are right now, so leaving a vent cracked open was not an option for us...

We never had a problem till it started to drop below 10 at night, then the girls started to complain about their cold, wet wall in the bunk room. I purchased a big dehumidifier at Ace hardware (compressor style - said it was for up to a 2000 sq ft space). We set the unit to keep the interior at 35% humidity and it works great... Except my 10 year old now complains it is too dry and her throat gets dry at night.
TGMarrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:38 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm also looking for something to keep the humidity in check during our winter (snowy) storage. I've bought some of the moisture removing pouches and the sales guy recommended that we put 3 of them in our 40ft coach, but I'm still not sure how well they will work. I'll probably be removing the batteries for the winter so electric options are not a choice for us. How well do those eva dry dehumidifiers work and do they have something that works even in freezing temperatures without electricity?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #10

A small dehumidifier is money well spent. I purchased a 25 pint model at Lowes and it works great in the motorhome. I also use it in the stick house bathroom. You would be amazed at how much water these things can pull out of the air in your mh.
jrd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #11

Smile

If you have power, go for the dehumidifier and perhaps a small electric heater set on low. Give it a few days and you will see the difference...

Dan in Ketchikan
Old 11-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Having lived in the tropics with 100%+ humidity for many years I give another vote for a dehumidifier. Best little machine you can get for humidity issues, and as long as you have access to power it's no problem to run. Works great for both high heat humidity and cold humidity. Just remember to empty the water from it regularly (or rig the water to go outside or into your sink/tanks)

Those little moisture removing pouches are practically useless by the way. Might be ok for keeping your undies dry (inside a drawer) but no real use in an open space.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Those little moisture removing pouches are practically useless by the way. Might be ok for keeping your undies dry (inside a drawer) but no real use in an open space.
I know that much; however, without power on inside the RV during sub 0C temperatures and the unit sitting at outside storage for months, I`m using them while I look for alternatives. Was looking at those eva dry dehumidifiers but am not sure if there is anything that is electricity free. I`d try a battery operated one, but wouldn`t be surprised if the batteries only lasted few couple days in the cold. On top of that, opening and closing of doors to check the batteries and drain the water would also most likely just bring in way more moisture from outside than what was removed.* What are other northern owners doing to combat this problem?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #14

With our previous RV, we did not have access to power while it was in storage. Used the pouches that you hang, I'm not sure on the name, dryz-the-air, or something like that (purchased at Walmart.) The hanging ones worked much better for us, less mess, easy to replace, etc. We used about three at a time, and replaced them when they needed it. They work, but they do leave an odor that takes a little while to air out.