RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #30

Guess Lazy Days driving instructor didn't know what he was talking about...oh well.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.G. View Post
Guess Lazy Days driving instructor didn't know what he was talking about...oh well.
He's entitled to his opinion. A lot of professional drivers and companies disagree. Hopefully he presents the information as his opinion.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #32

Now on to the correct method of making a right turn.

You do not swing wide into the oncoming lane, of the road your turning FROM. You stay close to the curb.

http://www.truckingtruth.com/cdl-tra...program/page22
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Now on to the correct method of making a right turn.

You do not swing wide into the oncoming lane, of the road your turning FROM. You stay close to the curb.

Managing Space In Turns And Traffic | High Road Online CDL Training Course
Turn later, not wider. Works for me.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:59 PM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
Lazydays knows what they are talking about. You cannot equate a UPS driver in a 22 foot panel van with a 45 foot Class A RV towing a car or truck for a total of 65 feet in length. The UPS driver could drive circles around the RV. The RV driver needs much more space to turn, and left turns give you much more space than right turns.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am retired from that large communications company I spoke of earlier so I don't have to follow their rules anymore. I find left turns in the MH much easier (in most cases) than right hand turns.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:25 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Turn later, not wider. Works for me.
It's what is taught here for driving vehicles above 7.5 tonnes, swinging into oncoming traffic would be an instant fail on the test.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
I believe that Williams was in the right. Among other laws is a green light is the privilege to enter the intersection not a right of way. When the light turns green or is green you have the obligation to insure that no emergency vehicle are approaching the intersection, no pedestrians are engaged in crossing and that no other vehicles are in the intersection.

Of course a red light does not allow you to enter the intersection.

There was once a time where I had a red light on three lanes but pulled off to the right in front of a NJ jug handle to open my lane to allow an ambulance to pass the standing traffic. As the ambulance passed the light turned green for the jug handle cross traffic,but I was still in the pathway of the jug handle. As soon as the ambulance passed, I proceed forward to clear the traffic lane of the intersection. A person in the jug handle got the green light and proceed to cross in front of me as I was clearing the intersection. I cleaned off his front bumper. He insisted he had a green light. The officer told him that the green light is not an automatic licence to move. I was not charged with the accident or insurance claim.

I feel for Williams and the others involved in that tragic accident. It should be lesson for everyone. Remember the old days when you would use the green light like the starting gate. I always look both ways on the green.

As for the left turn - Every place I have been you can make the left on the red if you are in the intersection. I pull a trailer behind the MH and have no trouble making the right turns. Start your turn later and never go into oncoming traffic while making the turn
Old 07-10-2017, 06:17 PM   #38

NASCAR could be in trouble. All they do is turn left.

Me? I turn in whatever direction I'm headed
Frank Tamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Right turns have the disadvantage of swinging the rear of the coach too soon as the coach does not articulate in the middle and follows the front wheels. Left turns out of driveways, gas pumps and intersections are more controlled and easier to monitor the rear, as it pulls away in the path of direction and not into the path of departure. I have hit more obstacles when my attention was turning Right taking my attention away from the obstacle on my rear left. Take a playing card and put the salt shaker on the table passing by the shaker turning left and again right and see for yourself what happens. 🚍🤠
Old 07-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I believe that Williams was in the right. Among other laws is a green light is the privilege to enter the intersection not a right of way. When the light turns green or is green you have the obligation to insure that no emergency vehicle are approaching the intersection, no pedestrians are engaged in crossing and that no other vehicles are in the intersection.

Of course a red light does not allow you to enter the intersection.

There was once a time where I had a red light on three lanes but pulled off to the right in front of a NJ jug handle to open my lane to allow an ambulance to pass the standing traffic. As the ambulance passed the light turned green for the jug handle cross traffic,but I was still in the pathway of the jug handle. As soon as the ambulance passed, I proceed forward to clear the traffic lane of the intersection. A person in the jug handle got the green light and proceed to cross in front of me as I was clearing the intersection. I cleaned off his front bumper. He insisted he had a green light. The officer told him that the green light is not an automatic licence to move. I was not charged with the accident or insurance claim.

I feel for Williams and the others involved in that tragic accident. It should be lesson for everyone. Remember the old days when you would use the green light like the starting gate. I always look both ways on the green.

As for the left turn - Every place I have been you can make the left on the red if you are in the intersection. I pull a trailer behind the MH and have no trouble making the right turns. Start your turn later and never go into oncoming traffic while making the turn
I was sitting at a red light with a work mate a few years back. The light changed, and he immediately started chiding me, "You can go now." About the time he said "now", a car came through the intersection, against the red, at about 50 mph. I said "I usually wait for everyone to finish running the light before going." He just sat that speechless, probably thinking we'd have died if he'd been driving.

The situation in the opening post, as I understand it, has a left turn at a light where approaching traffic has an impeded view of the intersection. Do the speed limit, and it's no problem. But turning left there is putting your trust in oncoming traffic not to be coming too fast. At such an intersection, you have no real choice but just to go. You can't see oncoming traffic any better than they can see you. I'd hate that myself, especially with a rig that takes so long to clear the intersection.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSmithJr View Post
....I get to the intersection on a green light, pause, check and turn. ......
That's all you can do. I think you're worrying needlessly. You have insurance and you are bigger than most everything out there. I thought you were going to tell us the speed limit was 65. Use your size when you have to and just enjoy the ride as much as possible.

2007 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:05 AM   #42

I've been following this thread from the beginning and I think there are actually two separate issues here.
The first is skill, the second is safety. Until a person becomes completely aware of their coaches footprint, left turns are more forgiving. Once the driver masters knowing where the rear axle is and the overhang swing, there are far more left turn crashes and avoiding left turns are safer.
The Lazy Daze instructor has a valid point but I would add that once you master the footprint of your coach, avoid left turns. Before you say it can't be done, watch a few city buses. They're up to 40 feet long and make right turns all day long.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote