Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2017, 06:51 PM   #1

Dangerous left turns/today's near miss

No matter how safe you try to be, all it takes is one fool.

i dislike left turns, even more so with the big rig. But they can't always be avoided. All it takes is one distracted speeding idiot.

Today, after coming home from a very relaxing weekend to a nearby getaway, I was on the next to last dreaded left turn. This one is tricky as the oncoming traffic is making an obstructed approach - left turn with a large building.

I get to the intersection on a green light, pause, check and turn. The posted speed limit is 30 MPH as this is in a village. As I get through the first of both lane, a pickup trucks careens around the turn. I have no choice but to continue my turn, gaining momentum as much as a big rig can accelerate.

No collision occurred, but it shook me up anyways. My first fear was that the point of impact would be the right side propane tank. It would have been a mess.

That's all I got. I'm still second guessing what could have been done differently.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Left turns should be easier since you are turning in the direction you can see better...can't see as well to the right when turning that way.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Left turns should be easier since you are turning in the direction you can see better...can't see as well to the right when turning that way.

X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #4

Me thinks the OPs concern is crossing oncoming traffic during a left turn. Not an issue turning right.
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Me thinks the OPs concern is crossing oncoming traffic during a left turn. Not an issue turning right.
Except in Japan, Great Britain, Australia, and New Zealand?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #6

Am I the only person that likes roundabouts and Michigan lefts?

There really is no reason for anything less. Old fashioned left turns are time and energy thieves...and killers.

Go ahead and ask how I really feel.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like that intersection is a good candidate for left turn only arrows. I'd contact the city (or county) and suggest it.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If you have doubts about the turn and feel it is not safe to not attempt it. At a light you are allowed to pull into the intersection (unless posted "Do not block intersection") and wait for a safe gap in traffic or the light to turn amber and opposing traffic stops to make a turn.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
If you have doubts about the turn and feel it is not safe to not attempt it. At a light you are allowed to pull into the intersection (unless posted "Do not block intersection") and wait for a safe gap in traffic or the light to turn amber and opposing traffic stops to make a turn.

Someone told me that is not legal in Florida. Called it "taking over an intersection" or something ?
Old 07-08-2017, 11:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
Someone told me that is not legal in Florida. Called it "taking over an intersection" or something ?
I don't think that's true.

Venus Williams will agree with me. :<)
Old 07-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
My husband a retired TX police officer has often told me that if I/you are in the intersection with a green light you are OK as you have a green light. After it turns yellow/red you have the right to clear the intersection as it was you had the green light when you entered. Maybe just in TX?
McKinney, TX
McKTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I have seen some intersections where if you don't do this you either will wait hours to turn left or run a red light...

Tom
Old 07-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #13

Move to Jersey. Then you get to make right turns only and wait for the same light twice, sometimes 3 times if the jughandle is full.

After 7 years, I'm so glad I sold and left. At least they pump your gas.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 04:11 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Florida Statute indicates a "vehicle may cautiously enter an intersection controlled by a traffic control signal in preparation for a left or right turn or to continue straight thru while the light is green." Also indicates a vehicle established in the intersection has the right of way.

If turning left at an intersection, you may enter the intersection on the green and complete the left turn after the light changes having right of way over the cross traffic.
The latest police statement on the Venus Williams accident states she had legally entered the intersection and had the right of way to complete her turn when struck by the crossing vehicle. (Confirmed by a security camera at the subdivision she was entering.) https://www.yahoo.com/news/venus-wil...041007749.html
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote