Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dash A/C and Heater Blower Fan Problem

Yesterday I was running my 98 Fleetwood Pace Arrow for my monthly maintenance routine. I was running the dash heater on the motorhome since it was about 40 degrees out. I ran it for about 30-40 minutes continously without a problem, I then turned the engine off and restarted everything, this time the dash heater blower fan did nothing, I tried the A/C too and it did nothing. I ran the A/C several times last fall without any problems at all. This MH has the Denso 146430-3540S control fan switch and a Denso heating and cooling unit. I contacted Fleetwood and they said that there was a 10 amp fuse behind the control fan switch in the dash that could be the problem, I looked but could not see it. It sures sounds like they symptons could be fuse (no power) problem but I sure cannot find the fuse. Does anyone have any experience with this set up or helpful advice on what to look for or even how to get to the system. Every part in the Denso line looks very expensive so just replacing parts probably isn't an option. I've tried all kinds of searches on this but it must be a well kept secret and something that just doesn't happen (only to me). Thanks for any help or suggestions
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2014, 08:28 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had the ignition switch not return all the way to IGNITION 2 position and thus the AUX circuits, (including A/C) did not engage.

Did the dash radio radio?
Old 01-17-2014, 03:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I was finally able to get back to my problem and yes my radio does work/play. Still trying to figure out how to get to everything so that I can troubleshoot the switch and the blower motor. Nothing really looks very simple for this ol' man. Any other ideas will certainly be appreciated.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #4

Dash

I've been trying to diagnose a similar problem on out 2013 Meridian. What I know so far is that the circuit goes from battery to circuit breaker ( fuse in some units) to a relay to the mode selector switch and then to the fan speed switch. The relay is controlled by the starter switch. The problem could be in any one of those connections. The fuse would be the most logical- I'm not sure that service techs know the fuse location on all possible models. Much of the stuff under our dash is only accessible by a 7 year old gymnast, so good luck in locating the fuse.

However, given the age of your unit it could be the relay. I pulled my relay and tested it and found that it was ok.

The fan speed switch has several positions that use resistors to slow the fan. If one of the resistors is burned out you will not get lower speeds, but you should get the high speed position working. I've had tech service from Winnebago help me, but after spending a lot of time checking everything I think I understand the circuit better than they do; but still not very well.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:40 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
CBTraveler, sorry to hear about your problem as it certainly sounds like mine. I have the Denso HVAC system in our MH. I total agree with you about the 7 year gymnast, I might add that would be one with four six foot arms. Probably wont get to work on it today, weather is terrible again in the midwest. I had hoped I had the tilt up instrument panel but apparently Pace Arrow in this year (98) doesn't. I'm going to try and remove the radio and then the a/c heat control switch from the dash to test it. I'd like to test the motor too but not sure how to go about removing the kick panel on the passenger side to access it. Keep me posted and I will do same on my progress in your other post.

Have a nice day.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #6

Blower fan

I had a Holiday Rambler Endeavor. The dash blower motor would only run at high speed. I leaned lower speeds were accomplished by reducing the input voltage via a resistor pack and resistance combinations. If any of these resistors failed, only high speed results. Trouble is, this resistor pack also has a high temp non-resettable cut out which looks like a tiny diode on the resistor pack. These resistor packs are ~ $17 ea at Autozone. I went through about 3 of these until I realized that HR had located this resistor pack in the 'duct' where there was marginal air flow. This resulted in the resistors, or the high temp cut out, getting to hot and blowing. I relocated the resistor pack at the discharge of the blower where there is high air flow. Problem solved. Good luck.
drpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:45 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Did you check for voltage to the blower motor. I started my bus and fan was on high so I turned it off to let warm up. Turned on a few minuted later and nothing? Check voltage at fan motor to see if it was a switch and had 12 volts. Motor was on inside and easily removed, googled fan part # and it was from a 90's model Chevy suburban,. Auto parts had a replacement for $18.00. Never had a repair so easy. Was amazed that it quit like it did. This was last Thursday. Left yesterday for a 2200 mile trip. Glad it happened on check out and not on the road. Feeling a little lucky.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
drpratt, my blower fan does not run at all. I'm working my way toward the blower motor resister, hopefully I can check it out tomorrow. My a/c heater control switch is a Denso, what is yours?

bcbrowne, that's pretty much how mine was before it stopped working, perfectly good and then nothing. I'll try and check my motor tomorrow. Doesn't appear my fix will be too easy. Denso blower motors run for around $250.00, hopefully if that is it I can find a suitable substitute and a lot cheaper. Anyway, regardless, you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
You might see if you can see or feel the connector on the back of the HVAC control. If you can unplug that, you can use a meter to see if it's getting 12v. If you then use a jumper to put 12 v into one of the wires going to the fan resistor pack, you'll determine if it's the fan motor or a switch or fuse problem. Does the whole instrument panel unscrew from it's surrounding? My gauges, radio, HVAC are all mounted on a panel held in by about 6-8 screws around the edge. Undo them and the whole panel can be lifted as far as the wires allow.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bob, I was able to remove the a/c heater control switch from the dash. I ended up figuring how the tilt-up instrument panel worked (great idea Fleetwood). I found a Denso troubleshooting guide on the net so was able check for continuity between the terminals on the switch, switch appears to have checked out okay. I ran out of daylight so hopefully today I can check for power to the switch and then as you suggested check for power to the resistors and the blower motor. Working on removing passenger side kick panel to access that. I found one fuse that Fleetwood suggested to look for and it was good also. Thanks for the tips!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well people, good news! Got my MH blower motor operational again. The problem was apparently a poor connection or a bad relay on the Denso a/c heater behind the passenger side kick panel. Probably had a little dumb luck, which always helps. I was able to use jumper wires to test the motor, it tested good. I tested the switch and it all tested good too. For some reason I just didn't see the that particular relay in the trouble shooting guide that I had found on the internet. The guide mentioned the main relay but I interpreted that to be the relay for the blower motor in the Power Distribution Box. It was the typical Ford 5 pin relay which I had just purchased at a local parts store. The relay is located right behind the print "lay" in the attached picture. Hopefully this will help others. Certainly a frustrating problem.

CBTraveler your call was great advice. Thanks!

Everyone have a nice evening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2509.jpg
Views:	5052
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	54727  
Old 01-26-2014, 05:25 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Glad to hear you figured it out----and posted the solution for others. Nice Job!!

Bob & Donna
Old 10-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #13

I'm experiencing the same symptoms with my Fleetwood. I have gone as far as the OP did only to find that my relay is functioning but I still have no blower.
I did find that the "magnetic clutch & blower relay" on the left side is getting power and appears to be functioning, but when I checked the one on the right side, I had no power to any of the legs.
I will be crawling under there again this afternoon to see if I have any power going to the motor but what should I look for if I find that there is no power?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as we plan to head out in a week.
southwind99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwind99 View Post
I'm experiencing the same symptoms with my Fleetwood. I have gone as far as the OP did only to find that my relay is functioning but I still have no blower.
I did find that the "magnetic clutch & blower relay" on the left side is getting power and appears to be functioning, but when I checked the one on the right side, I had no power to any of the legs.
I will be crawling under there again this afternoon to see if I have any power going to the motor but what should I look for if I find that there is no power?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as we plan to head out in a week.
Have you used jumpers to directly test the fan motor? I'd start there.

Bob & Donna

Tags
dash, fan, heater