Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #1

Dash A/C refrigerant capacity

Hello, I have a 1995 Monaco Dynasty with the Cummins 8.3. Anyone have an idea of what the capacity of the dash AC is to recharge? I'm sure it's much more than my Kia!
Thanks!!
IND2SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 07:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This may be close, I have a 38' 2002 Windsor, but unless you completely evacuate the system it would be hard to tell. About 61 oz. This was on my manual.

Last time I used my rig on a long trip was 2015 and the AC system worked fine. Cranked it last year to start getting ready to travel and it didn't work. Bought a set of gauges, I had ~20 psi so started adding some a little at a time. Did not take much to get the compressor to kick in, took it to ~200 psi on the high side.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC Dash manual info.pdf (90.8 KB, 102 views)
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
This may be close, I have a 38' 2002 Windsor, but unless you completely evacuate the system it would be hard to tell. About 61 oz. This was on my manual.

Last time I used my rig on a long trip was 2015 and the AC system worked fine. Cranked it last year to start getting ready to travel and it didn't work. Bought a set of gauges, I had ~20 psi so started adding some a little at a time. Did not take much to get the compressor to kick in, took it to ~200 psi on the high side.
200 PSIG maybe too high depending on the ambient temperature at the time.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
61oz, good info regardless! Tells me what to roughly expect. I put 30 oz in it, made it somewhat colder but not much. Not expecting it to blow out ice cubes but something a bit cooler than it is.
IND2SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 04:32 AM   #5

Sounds about right 40 plus foot DP usually comes in around 4lbs.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 09:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153stars View Post
Sounds about right 40 plus foot DP usually comes in around 4lbs.

No that's not right, my 40 ft coach with a Nippon Denso A/C holds 2.1 lbs on a complete evacuate and recharge. The exact amount depends on the manufacturer and design of the system. Adding too much will cause damage to the compressor and belt failure.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:35 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
No that's not right, my 40 ft coach with a Nippon Denso A/C holds 2.1 lbs on a complete evacuate and recharge. The exact amount depends on the manufacturer and design of the system. Adding too much will cause damage to the compressor and belt failure.
My Nippon Denso unit installed by Freightliner holds 3.8# according to the Denso service manual. I can attest this is correct for many. 2# seems pretty low...maybe for a gas coach? File attached is from the manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 11.38.02 AM.png
Views:	41
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	332231  
Old 06-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
It would be best to use gauges if at all possible, in fact, they are not overly expensive if you shop around. With gauges you should expect to see pressure similar to what is in the chart linked below. Keep in mind that the amount to add even if you can find that documented for your setup, is based on a completely empty and vacuumed system, if you are simply adding refrigerant you really don't know how much is already in the system so all you can know by the specs is what an empty A/C system should take, therefore having a gauged pressure is what you really need to go by.

https://www.jamcoautoparts.com/syste...shootingchart/

Without gauges, you could use a thermometer in on of the dash vent and add a little refrigerant at a time to get to the lowest temperature coming out of the vents and stop there (add a little and wait a few minutes check the temp and repeat), but that may not be optimal when driving down the highway (vs idle), in any case a fast idle is best when adding refrigerant using gauges or not.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND2SLC View Post
Hello, I have a 1995 Monaco Dynasty with the Cummins 8.3. Anyone have an idea of what the capacity of the dash AC is to recharge? I'm sure it's much more than my Kia!
Thanks!!
It is not a good idea to guess based on someone else equipment.
Almost all MH have a sticker near or on on the ac unit.
It will detail all amounts based on your equipment installed on your coach.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #10

A programmable set of digital gauges will give you expected high and low side temps based on pressures and type of refrigerant. It comes in handy to get low side pressure just above the point of wanting to frost up a coil on you, on an AC unit.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:39 PM   #11

-I'm an electrical person but I've had 3 RVs and had to deal with this
-My 2nd RV was a Winnebago and the shop that fixed the AC put too much freon in it. On a trip it blew the pressure relief plug on the back of the AC compressor out and spewed refrigerant dye all over my engine
-So too much refrigerant can cause a major problem
-I called Winnebago and got the correct amount of refrigerant
-On my current Tiffin Phaeton, I called frieghtliner and they gave me an amount, so I called Tiffin and talked to their AC service department and they gave me a different amount
-its a mystery ....
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:40 PM   #12

AC

Best way is with a gauge set, on a 80 degree day suction side (blue) should be around 30 psi and liquid side (red) should be around 160 to 180 psi with the compressor running, the higher the air temp. the higher those #s will be. Investing in a gauge set is a good idea, about 30 bucks on line, you also my want to buy some sort of leak detection device, there are electronic sniffers but I've never really much luck with them, and they're generally pricey, personally a dye injection device and black light work best for me, 50 bucks on amazon.
The exact pressure to temp #s are available on line and proper usage of the gauge set and dye injector can be found on YouTube.

Don
2000 American Eagle

sledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 02:22 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Be smart- contact the RV manufacturer

The RV manufacturer has a table based on the vin # of your year, model, ect. Don't take these ballpark guesses, do it the right way.
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #14

https://www.proairllc.com/design-eng...empcon-guides/
Top PDF I think has capacities pressure charts are on websight. The low side is lower than most auto. I believe due to large expansion valve.

Tags
dash