Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 06:12 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Dash AC compressor always on

2013 Winnebago Sightseer 36V on the Ford F53 chassis.

Anytime I turn on the dash vent system to any setting the air conditioner compressor kicks on.
On the dial there are some selections that are obviously AC, and I would expect the compressor to run when in defrost mode.
In the picture, I would expect "Vent" and the two selections to the right of where the dial is now to be just outside air.
In the current 'Off' position the compressor shuts down as it should - but then I don't have any air flow at all up front.
There isn't a switch to turn on/off the compressor as there is in some cars - or if there is I'm not clever enough to find it.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what's gone wrong to make the compressor run all the time?
On the one hand I'm glad that it works, but not ALL the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180425_074929[201].jpg
Views:	110
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	200383  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #2

...agree, compressor should run on A/C related settings and/or on defrost. The trinary switch and the freeze probe act to turn off compressor if certain conditions are met, eg, high or low 134a, coil freeze over, etc. Sounds like dash switch [control head] may be messed up......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
2013 Winnebago Sightseer 36V on the Ford F53 chassis.

In the picture, I would expect "Vent" and the two selections to the right of where the dial is now to be just outside air.

Per the owners manual:

"The air conditioning system is designed to operate in all modes except VENT, FLOOR, and OFF."

There are some troubleshooting guides here and electrical schematics here.

Per the electrical schematic, either the vacuum mode switch is wired wrong or it's bad.

The vacuum mode switch is part number RV218476.

Here is one source ($120) for the switch.
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:41 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank you gents.
emcee you rock!
But, I have a silly question now. Is the 'clutch' in the wiring diagram what I was referring to as the compressor? It makes sense to me that would have a clutch, but to ME it seems a bit odd that it would be referred to as one.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you gents.
emcee you rock!
But, I have a silly question now. Is the 'clutch' in the wiring diagram what I was referring to as the compressor? It makes sense to me that would have a clutch, but to ME it seems a bit odd that it would be referred to as one.
Auto AC compressors have a "clutch" since the pulley is turning all the time when the engine is running and the clutch engages the compressor when energized. It's a magnetic clutch, so your solution could be as simple as adding a switch in the power line to the clutch/compressor.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thank you gents.
emcee you rock!
The clutch is the electric activated portion of the compressor since this is electrical schematic only the clutch is mentioned.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:11 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Lt Dan, that's a very good idea. I would be REALLY inclined to go that route if I still had my 20-something year old rig. As it is, it seems too soon in it's life for me to start cobbling things together in the RV. (of course if I happen to lay my hands on one of those 'AC' switches from a car, I might change my tune... ).

Densher, thank you. That makes perfect sense when explained that way.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They started that with Cars back in the 70s as I recall.. The reason is the A/C removes MOISTURE from the air so you first CHILL the air to condense out mositure, then heat it and now the hot dry air de-fogs the windshield faster.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:22 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had a 13 Winnie Adventurer 37F on the Ford chassis. After much frustration such as yours with the A/C, I eventually found a bad vacuum line "under the hood" near the Brake reservior that led to the Door Actuator for the system. Be a good idea to look around.
17BerkXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:18 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, I'll give the vacuum lines a look.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:21 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Attached is operation instruction for that dash control panel.

Note: Air conditioning will run in any function except Off, Vent, or Floor.
The A/C position is fresh air intake to a/c and Max A/C is recirculate position.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dash ac control.pdf (500.6 KB, 84 views)
Old 04-29-2018, 09:33 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not a great system. On mine the fan has only one speed, though the switch has several speed settings. Also, the temp knob, the moment I turn mine from the max cold blue setting toward the red heat starts coming out--when I only moved the temp control a fraction, like 1/8 inch!
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:04 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not sure on the Ford Chassis, but a lot of multi position fans have a resistor that can fail and only operate the fan in the high speed condition. I found that issue on several Jeep Wranglers I've owned over the years. Water gets to them and causes shorts in the cheap components. On the Wrangler, the resistor is mounted inside the ducting beside the fan. Good luck!
17BerkXL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, dash