Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

Dash air in 90 Deg heat.

Just wondering if I am expecting too much but my RV dash A/C is not cold. I know it is 90 Deg. outside and it is a huge area/volume to cool but even holding my hand up to the vent it feels warm. Stuck a meat thermometer in the vent and it says 70 to 75, deg at best.
But on my Jeep it is blowing 40 Deg and colder, same in my truck. So I have an appointment with the A/C mechanic. But just wondering what other have to say on this issue with dash A/C temperature.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2019, 02:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like you may be living up to your nickname, Hotdog2!
Old 07-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #3

40 degree delta between outside ambient and inside vent air is great for a motor home system using r-134. You can get a little better with the newer automobiles but they don’t have 30 to 40 feet of hose between the compressor and the cooling unit. Make sure you have the AC set on Max or Recirc to keep from sucking in the outside hot air.

No guessing about what the problem is. Have a knowledgeable person put some gauges on it to do a proper diagnosis. Throwing a can or two of r-134 at it may or may not make any difference at all.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:33 PM   #4

RV is the same as any other automotive type system. If it is blowing 70 deg air there is something wrong, low charge or other system component failure
kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:22 PM   #5

When it's 90* plus, I'll put the dash air on recirculate which helps. If that does not keep us comfortable, the generator starts up and 2-3 roof ACs take over and I will quite often shut the dash unit off. It sounds like you need a recharge of your AC system.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
For $25 you can buy a 134 recharge kit that has a gauge on it. You want 25 to 35 psi on the low side which it can only connect to.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:42 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Take it to a professional and ask for a leak test. They will run dye through. My previous MH had your problem and after several tries a freightliner place diagnoesed it at a leak at two connections. Replaced them and blew cold after that.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
For $25 you can buy a 134 recharge kit that has a gauge on it. You want 25 to 35 psi on the low side which it can only connect to.
I did exactly that in 2013, the dash air has been working great ever since!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 09:28 PM   #9

To properly charge the ac, you need a set of manifold gauges, and table with the pressures at different ambient temperature..you do t want to over or under charge. Start with measuring the temp going into the evaporator housing (at the recirc flap). Then measure temp at vent. It would be more than 20 degrees difference. Must have good airflow over condenser. If condenser fan does not run, dash air will get hot. If refrigerant is low, dash air will get hot. If recirculation door does not close, dash air will get hot. If it’s low on refrigerant, there must be a leak which needs to be repaired. Good luck.
Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:06 PM   #10

Thank God we found a pretty easy fix to my dash air not cooling. Took it to an A/C mechanic and he hooked it up to his machine. As I understood what he told me, the issue was dirty gas in the system. So he pumped it all out and cleaned the system and then replaced it with new gas with some oil.
Anyway less than two hours after dropping it off it was fixed and no parts needed. So I was a Happy Camper. Now it blows ice cold air much better than it ever has since I owned it. By the way he also advised to never use the 134a canned refrigerant gas. Cool Deal.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Let us know how it works in 3 or 4 months. I have never heard of dirty gas. Best way to charge a system is to evacuate system and weigh in refrigerant. There should be a tag on the evaporator housing with charge weight.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:44 PM   #12

I am with the above. I have never heard of dirty gas. The r134 is the same stuff that comes out of the big tanks that shops use. I have put numerous A/C units in cars I have built. I take them to a pro for the initial vacuum and charge and then take it from there.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:44 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog2 View Post
the issue was dirty gas in the system. So he pumped it all out and cleaned the system and then replaced it with new gas with some oil.
Anyway less than two hours after dropping it off it was fixed and no parts needed .:
Dirty gas...no such thing. No parts needed means it was low on Freon. $200 instead of $25 for a 134A recharge kit with a gauge and 10 minutes of your time.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:01 PM   #14

Ease up brothers. I'm sure the OP meant contaminated refrigerant ...I'm sure you all heard of that?

Tags
air, dash, dash air, heat