Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2021, 10:13 AM   #1

Dash cam placement

Lots of threads on dash cam models but few discussing where to mount them. In my case I have a 2000 DSDP with a split windshield. Where have others mounted theirs? The rubber center gasket is about 1 1/2- 2” wide. Without having a dash camera yet, it’s hard for me to decide where it would function best without the center strip blocking part of the view. Can we place these off center? I know some have mounted them under the front TV cabinet but does the center strip interfere with the cameras view. Looking for ideas before I purchase a dash cam. Thanks
Arkansas RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas RV View Post
Lots of threads on dash cam models but few discussing where to mount them. In my case I have a 2000 DSDP with a split windshield. Where have others mounted theirs? The rubber center gasket is about 1 1/2- 2” wide. Without having a dash camera yet, it’s hard for me to decide where it would function best without the center strip blocking part of the view. Can we place these off center? I know some have mounted them under the front TV cabinet but does the center strip interfere with the cameras view. Looking for ideas before I purchase a dash cam. Thanks
I put mine in the lower left hand corner, down low in front of the driver. It is down and out of my line of site.

Every camera I have ever seen has options to select vehicle type, height, and camera location.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 10:57 AM   #3

I've placed my dash cam on the passenger side of the center pillar , in a spot where the lower tip of the wiper blade clears in front of the camera when the wipers are required .
Old 09-07-2021, 11:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine is down close to the dash a bit to the drivers side of center. I have to look for it to see it. The slight offset from center is less offset than I am in the drivers chair, looks good on playback.

If you have a sunshade that comes down from above you want the camera low or it will be blocked.

Make sure the one you get has a long enough cord for where you will plug it in.

- Richard
RandDescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 09:57 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I have mine mounted on the pax side, close to the center post. With a 180 degree lens, it covers the entire front of the coach
Old 09-08-2021, 04:39 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Garmin RV785 GPS with built in dash camera and I have it mounted on the dash directly in front of me as I drive. It is on a weighted friction type mount and sits just above the steering wheel. Because I am tall I can see over it easily and it does not block my view at all. It has a setting to tell it where it is located in the vehicle (left, center, right) and it compensates accordingly. Because it is also a GPS I chose this location so I can see the map easily by just looking slightly down while driving. Also the touch screen controls are within easy reach.
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 05:50 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Most have a wide angle lens, so even off center, the camera easily captures everything in front of the RV. Don’t stress about it…..just point it forward…..and go !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:09 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Most have a wide angle lens, so even off center, the camera easily captures everything in front of the RV. Don’t stress about it…..just point it forward…..and go !
X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, dash