Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
I got a Whistler from Costco. Simple to use, plug it
in and it starts recording.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #16

Dash Cam Suggestions

Bought a RoadMate at Quartzite 2 years ago. Works fine.[ATTACH]215906
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2976.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	215906  
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:01 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just use my smart phone. I have a 128 gig memory card that holds a crap load of HD video.
Old Top Kick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:40 AM   #18

One of the members here suggested this camera - I bought it and it works as advertised. I bought a 32G sd card for it. Make sure you get the model with the capacitor.
https://www.amazon.com/A118-C-Capaci...70_&dpSrc=srch
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:41 AM   #19

I saw a 12 dollar can on the shelf at Walmart. Plugged it in easily, has full size hdmi to the TV, memory card slot, great resolution and wide screen view. Don't sweat it. Start really cheap and see if it is enough before going big bucks
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvuk View Post
I got this one. $39. The suction cup works great. I put it on the front windshield at the bottom below the wipers. I can see everything out front and it is 1080p high def. Crosstour 300

https://www.amazon.com/Crosstour-Das...ds=dash+camera
Curious, how is the ease of use on this model?
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:56 PM   #21

I’m using a Garmin version. (45). We have a 32GB SD card in it and it just loops. We have it on a switched circuit so it kicks on with the key and records 15 seconds past when the engine is turned off.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:26 PM   #22

I use the Garmin 65. I wanted the voice control option, which works well when driving. When I give a voice command, it beeps so that I know it recognizes my command.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Curious, how is the ease of use on this model?
Super easy. You need a memory card (they cost about $9) and you put it in, plug the camera in and it starts recording 5 min clips. I had no setup other than that. There are settings for video quality, sound recording on or off, etc. I just plugged it in, stuck on the suction cup and it worked perfectly.....so far...
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #24

I bought a cheapie from walmart I think it was $20 and I put it in my pickup and other than having to restick it to the windshield every 2 or 3 weeks it seemed to work ok, So after having it about a year thinking it might never be needed I had an accident, another car pulled out from a stop sign right in front of me $5500. in damage to my truck, so at the accident site the other driver started to come up with different stories on what happened until I said I have a dash cam and have the accident on video, everything changed from that point, and my insurance company was ecstatic the other insurance company took full blame and paid in full and no cost to me. so even being a cheapie it worked very well and has a great picture and I will be getting another one for the rv.
Old 08-23-2018, 08:02 AM   #25

I recently got the Thinkware model 800 on sale at Best Buy in Canada. I wanted one with an interface via smartphone. No need to remove the camera or fiddle with memory cards or cables to download videos. And it uses a capacitor, not a battery, which means it's more capable of handling the high temperatures when parked.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #26

Spartan Chassis
Z-Edge here too. I think I may use the dash cam differently from some of you. Considering that we (as RVers) drive through some of the most scenic places in the country, it's nice to be able to capture some of that imagery. I realize it would probably be easier to just use some kind of dedicated video cam but that would mean setting up two cams.

Anyway, I kinda like my Z3 because it produces absolutely great hi-resolution video even if it is something of a PITA in other respects. That said, I may be looking into some kind of action cam soon.

If you're just using the cam for liability/security cheap and simple is probably a good formula.

Here's a couple thoughts though: whatever you get, familiarize yourself with it's setup and operation. Place it so it views what it needs to without blocking your view. Keep in mind that in many motorhomes where you place the dash cam on the windshield could be much further from where you as a driver are - you probably won't be able to easily monitor its status while driving. Something that takes our eyes and focus off the task of driving is the last thing any of us need. Make sure it's set and forget or make it the copilot's job.

Good hunting! Let us know what you get and how you like it.
Sneelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 04:42 AM   #27

Found one. Viofoa 119 SV ! Amazon had it had a good review . Thanks all for the great info
tallmantwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:53 PM   #28

Heartland RV Club
BlackVue DR650SCH2 Dash Camera

I wanted 2-channels and WiFi, so I went with the BlackVue DR650S2CH.

Here's some install pics.

I've used the Lukas product in the past and I prefer the BlackVue to it.
jbeletti is offline   Reply With Quote