Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #1

Dash camera

Looking to put a dash cam on our new motorhome but know nothing about them, any suggestion on a male or model
kenscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2017, 07:42 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Street Guardian SG9665GC in my car. Very nice unit. In my case I wanted a unit that could withstand high temperatures since I'm in FL and car interiors can get pretty hot.

Some of the cheaper models don't hande heat as well (they have internal batteries rather than capacitors).
Some models have very high resolution (to be able to read a license plate number off a passing car, for example).
Some have parking surveillance mode (turn on from sleep mode if car/coach is bumped).
Some can accept a large memory card for extended recording times.
Some have better night vision than others.

There are a lot of features to consider.

You can read about dash cams here:https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/#dash-cam-forum.1
Also see the "What Should I Buy" section.

In my coach, I use the Rand McNally OverDryve 7 RV. It has front and rear (rear being interior view) facing cameras along with all the navigation and media features.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:29 AM   #3

I am looking at well and the Street Guardian is on my short list along with the Falcon Zero Touch HD and the Vicovation OPIA2. I wanted one for any incidents but also that will record nice video when driving on roads so I can save some of our trips to make videos later.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:30 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I like the B40 A118. Its sold under several names. Get the capacitor version, NOT the battery version. I install these in all my vehicles. I did a short article on how I installed in my Southwind.

ALSO - Near the end of the article is a video we captured of an accident on I-77 last spring. Note that the quality of the video was compressed in order to get it up on my server.

Dash Cam – 1999 Southwind 35S

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:17 PM   #5

This one is awesome. Picture quality is incredible. At $65, a no brainer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-30-2017, 10:59 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I bought mine, I Googled "best dash cams". You get a pretty good idea about the features by reading the differences between the good ones.

I wanted one that would withstand the heat, knew where it was by GPS, recorded time, date and speed. If involved in an accident, mine will automatically record and save the information until I erase. I also bought one with a larger card so that mine will run for 8 hours. On occasion, we've saved the segments where we were driving into a National Park. Mine is HD and takes some nice video.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:56 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Garmin Dash Cam 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenscomet View Post
Looking to put a dash cam on our new motorhome but know nothing about them, any suggestion on a male or model
I bought a Garmin Dash Cam 45 at Best Buy for $149 and it works great. I included a link to one on Amazon just so you can read about it. As some have said, do some research and figure out what you want to best suit your needs. I like this one because you can use a larger capacity SD card (I use a 64G card), it's small and inconspicuous and records in HD video. I have mine wired to a constant hot wire so it records even while parked, I just leave the dash cam on. There are cheaper units out there but if you've ever bought anything from Garmin, they are fantastic at customer service if you have an issue. Good luck and stay safe!

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01...in+dash+cam+45
Old 12-31-2017, 06:27 AM   #8

Like anything else, the more you spend the more features it has. Nice to have. They don't lie. If you drive through a scenic section you can save a file or two for the memories. Be sure to install an extra capacity memory card.
Triangle Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:31 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
$20 at Walmart. Both vehicles have Dash Cams now. Great way to avoid incidents, like having spare parts you never need. But don't have them, sure way to a 2 day breakdown.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:30 AM   #10

I wanted one with GPS and looked at reviews. I ended up with this one and am very happy with it:

KDLINKS X1 Full-HD 1920 x 1080 165 Degree Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder Car Dash Cam with GPS, G-Sensor & WDR Superior Night Mode
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the Falcon Zero going on 2 years. Very satisfied with it’s performance.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the KDLinks dash cam. It fits our needs very well. As other have suggested compare the mid to higher end models to get a run down on possible features and process. Then you can chose with some help from the forum. I never buy something only because it seems like what everyone else is buying.

Have fun and be safe...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #13

For those that use a Dash camera...what is the benefit and have you benefited? ie; if it's to record in case of accident, has that happened? How did the video help?
Old 01-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
For those that use a Dash camera...what is the benefit and have you benefited? ie; if it's to record in case of accident, has that happened? How did the video help?
Howdy!

I didn’t see a need for a dash cam until one day we had someone for a unknown reason in a oncoming vehicle through a bottle at us. It struck the fender of out MDT and shattered. No way I could turn around towing a 44’ 5er. So I put a dash cam in the truck. After that I was in heavy traffic when a elderly lady changed lanes and struck the side of our Smart Car. She reported to her Insurance that I changed lanes and struck her. I now have a dash cam in both vehicles. Dash cams are cheaper than Insurance deductible.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, dash