Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dash Camera for Class A Motor Home

I have been thinking of getting a Dash Cam for my Class A 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer motor home. But looking at the windshield which is pretty straight up and down I'm not sure if the mount would work. Can anyone who is using one give me some good information at to which one to buy that would mount on the windshield without any problems.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #2

Watchin
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyjudy View Post
I have been thinking of getting a Dash Cam for my Class A 2017 Holiday Rambler Vacationer motor home. But looking at the windshield which is pretty straight up and down I'm not sure if the mount would work. Can anyone who is using one give me some good information at to which one to buy that would mount on the windshield without any problems.
JimmyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #3

I have a Garmin Dash Cam 45 mounted out a bit further from the windshield up behind the front TV. I ran a 12V cig plug up there and added a switched fused in the fuse panel in the dash. Turn on the key and the camera powers up. Turn off the key and it's set to wait 15 seconds to power down.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:03 AM   #4

I purchased from Amazon, Audew Car Dash Cam, 3.7'' LCD HD 1080P Car Dashboard Camera, Wide Angle Car Recorder with G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording for $40, Night Vision Also along with .argerCity Hippo Series NonSlip Dashboard Beanbag Friction Mount for Garmin Nuvi, TomTom, Via GO and other 4-6 Inch GPS Devices and Smartphones. Sits perfect on my dash and doesn't move.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #5

I use this 1. It is mounted at the bottom of the windshield on the vertical surface.
AUKEY Dash Cam, Dashboard Camera Recorder with Full HD 1080P, 6-Lane 170° Wide Angle Lens, Supercapacitor, G-Sensor and Clear Nighttime Recording https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FGL63X..._J6RFCbSVVC5JP
Old 03-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Garmin mounts are mostly interchangeable - this is where I mounted it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190130_123214500_HDR.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	236919  
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I have a Garmin Dash Cam 45 mounted out a bit further from the windshield up behind the front TV. I ran a 12V cig plug up there and added a switched fused in the fuse panel in the dash. Turn on the key and the camera powers up. Turn off the key and it's set to wait 15 seconds to power down.
I also have the Garmin 45. It does not have all the bells and whistles like voice comand etc but is very compact, easy to set up and basically does an excellent job of being a very good dash cam.
I hard wired mine into the fuse block using an Aux (cig lighter) socket to an Ign Power On source so it comes on with the ignition. Using the original power cord or equivalent is critical. Not just any USB will work because the OEM uses a capacitor to fire it up.
The 45 comes with a nice little windshield mount that uses a sticky back and can be removed from the mount just by pulling it away from the mount.
I have an older Garmin 20 in my toad that has worked well for years and this 45 is as good or better and half the size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190305_110418.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	236920  
Old 03-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a Z-edge camera mounted to a near vertical windshield with its included suction cup and it works perfectly.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Just posting this so you are aware - never heard of anyone ever getting a ticket -

States in Which Suction Cup Windshield Mounts Are Illegal
Alabama
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Georgia
Idaho
Illinois
Louisiana
Maine
Montana
Nebraska
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Oregon
Virginia
Washington
Washington, D.C.
West Virginia
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike625 View Post
Just posting this so you are aware - never heard of anyone ever getting a ticket -

States in Which Suction Cup Windshield Mounts Are Illegal
Well, after my encounter with a drunk guy in a pick up truck that came close to a high speed head on collision, I'll take my chances with the dash cam. At least there should be one witness when we're both dead.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
^^^^

I would bet that most if not all of the states noted as not allowing items attached to the windshield have laws similar to Oklahoma's law which states:

C. No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sign, poster, other nontransparent material, or debris, including but not limited to snow, ice, or frost, upon the front windshield or the side wings, or side or rear windows or suspend any sign, poster, object, or other material from the interior of the vehicle which materially obstructs, obscures, or impairs the driver's clear view of the highway ahead or to either side or of any intersecting highway.

Texas law is similar. The key here is obstructs the driver's view of the highway. There's a major difference in having an Ipad tablet, GPS or phone attached to a car windshield versus a small dash cam on a huge motor home windshield.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Dash Cam

I have a Falcon 360 which mounts to the existing rearview mirror, its a dual cam that are completely adjustable. Nightvision is not optimum, but I don't drive at night primarily.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #13

$10 dash cam with card from Amazon that has worked flawlessly for several months. Small price for peace of mind.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:53 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I purchased the "NuCam AW 1080P/60fps Full HD WiFi Dash Camera with G-Sensor & Mic" from Amazon and like it. It has a suction cup mount capable of adjusting to a Class A (flat) windshield.

Good luck!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, class a, dash