Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2017, 06:06 PM   #1

Dash Heat/Cool Selector Knob

The temperature selector knob on the dash of my 2008 Fleetwood Southwind 36D doesn’t work. It seems to be stuck in cool mode no matter where I turn the selector knob.
Any ideas? Has anyone removed this from the dash panel? I am thinking that there must be a cable which runs from the knob to some kind of actuator in the engine compartment. But I haven’t been able to find it. (Chev Vortec 8.1L)
Any help is appreciated.
Even if I am able to manually get the actuator in heat mode for the time being.....

Here is an example picture of the knob I am referring to...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1922.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	182932
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2017, 06:17 PM   #2

Check the Workhorse Forum you will find the answer it’s a valve on the heater hose.
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsses View Post
Check the Workhorse Forum you will find the answer it’s a valve on the heater hose.
Everything that I have found so far refers to this valve failing open and causing Hot antifreeze to flow into the heater core when in AC mode. I have the problem of not getting any heat... But I will keep looking. If you know where the post is that you are referring to please post a link. Thanks
Old 11-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
You will have to locate the heater hose that goes into your heater on the firewall. Look under the hood, on the passenger side, and if you are lucky you will see a cable going to the valve on your heater hose! If not under the hood, look under the dash on the passenger side for the same thing. When you find it, turn the knob on the dash and watch and see if it moves, if not, disconnect the cable, 1 screw holding it secure to the valve, and turn the valve by hand.
Since it failed in the closed position, and you can turn it to the open position, see if you get heat out of your heater? Some time they get stuck in one position or the other when they do not get used much. If it has failed inside you will have to replace it, easy job, but messy, if you don't clamp the heater hose shut, before and after the valve! Good luck! Hope it is a easy fix, like the cable hold down screw fell out, or something like that?! Rail!
Old 11-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #5

Thanks.
When I get some time I will see what I can find.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's likely that it isn't a cable at all. The HVAC system on Workhorse chassis are vacuum operated.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:31 AM   #7

There is a valve that controls the coolant flow to the heater core on a Workhorse chassis. Go to the website for the valve, they provide a troubleshooting document that includes the valve and the controller. Check under the hood for the controller first as I don't believe that you have a cable control but could be wrong. Diagnosis is actually quite easy.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyBye View Post
The temperature selector knob on the dash of my 2008 Fleetwood Southwind 36D doesn’t work. It seems to be stuck in cool mode no matter where I turn the selector knob.
Any ideas? Has anyone removed this from the dash panel? I am thinking that there must be a cable which runs from the knob to some kind of actuator in the engine compartment. But I haven’t been able to find it. (Chev Vortec 8.1L)
Any help is appreciated.
Even if I am able to manually get the actuator in heat mode for the time being.....

Here is an example picture of the knob I am referring to...
Attachment 182932
It's most like the mixing valve contoller. Mine did same thing. Found the contoller on line. 10 minute fix.Click image for larger version

Name:	20161201_082414.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	182947
Attached Files
File Type: pdf acmeairparts.com_rvacheaterparts.html.pdf (130.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: pdf acmeairparts.com_rvacheaterpartsassy.html.pdf (136.3 KB, 40 views)
rosspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosspam View Post
It's most like the mixing valve contoller. Mine did same thing. Found the contoller on line. 10 minute fix.Attachment 182947
My unit is Damon on Ford chassis. Many platforms used Acme AC systems in that period. The controller is like a servo motor. Compares position of knob and rotates shaft accordingly.
rosspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #10

Here is a thread on the Evans valve.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/heat-...ol-249093.html
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:33 PM   #11

Thanks for all the replies.
I will be doing some investigating when the temperature outside warms up a bit.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #12

I have been looking for the valve mention in previous replies but no luck.

I decided to remove the control panel from the dash bezel.

I got the unit out and found my problem.
To get the unit out I used a small slotted screw driver and started gently prying around the outside edge. I felt little plastic snaps which held the complete unit in place. There is a metal frame around it which it snaps into.

The reason I needed the unit out was because my temperature control knob was not working. Not changing temperature.

The problem I found was the cable is attached to a metal arm which moves the cable when turned hot to cold. The cable is intact and works but the the plastic clip which hold the outer sheath of the cable is broken. Therefore the cable and sheath move together and will not activate the damper linkage on the other end which is behind a removable panel in the passenger leg space. So I haven’t been able to MacGyver a fix for this yet. So the only way for me to switch temp from
Hot to cold and vice versa is the hold the cable outer sheath with my hand and turn the temp control knob which is no easy task and can only be done while laying on the floor doghouse.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #13

Dash Heat/Cool Selector Knob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2132.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	204377

Tags
dash, heat