RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #1

Dash heat problems

I have a 2011 Diplomat. Iím not getting any heat out of front dash vents or defrost. Checked heater hose temperature and both sides of control valve is cold. Control valve opens and closes by vacuum which seems to be working properly. Is there a shut off valve in the heater hose somewhere? Could there be a blockage somewhere? Any one is know of this problem? This has the 450 Cummins.
Gary Keeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2018, 06:30 PM   #2

Have you checked your coolant level?
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:14 PM   #3

My coach has a pump just ahead of the engine in the heater hose for circulating the coolant. I believe it’s called as school bus pump.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #4

in some of the Freightliner chassis there is a shut off valve and bleed valve located back on the chassis.... about 2/3's back... On the one that I worked on... you closed the valve, and open the bleeder valve... for me... it took almost (2) 5 gallon buckets full of coolant to get all the air out... I'd drain 2 gallons of coolant + air... put the coolant back in the recovery tank.... and do the process again...

Once all I got out of the bleed valve was coolant I closed it... and opened the flow valve to allow the return water to go back to the engine block..
Old 03-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Gary! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't advise you on that! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:07 AM   #6

Front heat issues

I seem to have the same problem as some others are having with very little or no heat from front vents. I have 2007 Fleetwood Providence on Freightliner chassis and have just barely warm air. I took unit to Freightliner and they said it was my Thermostat which the wanted about $750.00 to replace. I did get the thermostat replace by a friend which does big truck repairs at half the cost. Results: Nothing!!! Still have same issue. The engine warms up to normal operating temp but just no heat at front. Any more suggestions?
KyMedic513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know of a rear engine coach owner who likes his dash heat or AC for that matter. Too much hose for the coolant to travel thru and too much interior volume for the small heater to handle. When I hang a curtain just behind our seats to create a small cab, I get much better results.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #8

Check the tubing from the heat exchanger to the vents. Some times they are several feet longer than necessary. It's easier at the factory to cut a much longer piece than needed and just cram the extra under the dash. It might even have kinks in it.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Jacquie View Post
I don't know of a rear engine coach owner who likes his dash heat or AC for that matter. Too much hose for the coolant to travel thru and too much interior volume for the small heater to handle.
Our dash air/heat will freeze you out (unless the outside ambient temp is 98F or higher) or cook you well done. No complaints.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #10

We travelled today with the fan on high and heat set to floor vents, it was reallyc cool. After a while I set it on the dash vents only and after a while I had to turn it down, just getting too hot. Iíll be having a look at the floor vent and why more air isnít coming out. Feet get a little cold with all the heat out the top.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Gary, you need to crawl under the rear of the coach and check for valves. Even though yours was still being built on a Roadmaster chassis, they may have added coolant valves. Mine is on a Freightliner chassis and there are several coolant valves along side the driver's side of the engine.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #12

On my Dash HVAC there is a "Normal AC" and "Max AC." When Max AC is called for there are valves in the heater hoses that shuts off the hot coolant to the heater core. The valves are operated by Vacuum. Maybe the heater control panel in broken and sending Vacuum to the coolant control valves. My valve are located next to the HVAC unit. The valves are "normally open." Pulling the vacuum from the valves will open them.

I also have two coolant circulation pumps to get the hot coolant from the engine in the back to the heater in the front. One is located on the top of the engine (forward) and the other is in the front below the HVAC unit mounted on the frame.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:36 AM   #13

No Heat at drivers feet

It sounds as if when you drive your feet are getting cold in my 2002 Monaco Knight one of the econ models a lot of cold air comes in from under the dash some have said it comes in around the steering shaft but mine came in from the gap from the dash area and then exits the area by the foot controls there
is a upper upholstered dash panel inside the living area and one two inches under covering the cabin you see when you look up by the generator outside the coach you have too really seal that area I read about it on this web site and when I changed out my dash fan I could clearly see the gab area and slid in a pc of pipe insulation all the way across the dash area works better but still didn't do it all but my feet are worm . if I stop moving and hold my hand at any of the vent the heat blowing out the vent is hot way hot In my case its holes in under the dash area that leaking and very noticeable while driving. If you have no heat coming the the front and the hoses are indeed cold to the touch Pull the bigger one going to the heat exchanger off while the motor is running and see if its flowing anything if not trace it back to what ever is blocking it,
buxtonworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilvmygt View Post
On my Dash HVAC there is a "Normal AC" and "Max AC." When Max AC is called for there are valves in the heater hoses that shuts off the hot coolant to the heater core. The valves are operated by Vacuum. Maybe the heater control panel in broken and sending Vacuum to the coolant control valves. My valve are located next to the HVAC unit. The valves are "normally open." Pulling the vacuum from the valves will open them.

I also have two coolant circulation pumps to get the hot coolant from the engine in the back to the heater in the front. One is located on the top of the engine (forward) and the other is in the front below the HVAC unit mounted on the frame.

MAX AC closes the air dampeners so that the inside cab air is recycled to expedite cooling and increases the fan speed to High. There should be two separate heat exchangers...one for heat and one for cold.

Tags
dash, ems, heat, problems