Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #1

Dash Heater NOT HEATING

We are having more issues. We have a 2009 H R Endevouer PDQ 41. Took the coach in for end of season work and have no dash heat or defrosters. Toes were frozen had a 3 hour ride to dealership. After 4 weeks of going back and forth trying to get things done (covered or NOT covered under warranty ). Went to get coach and still no dash heat or defrosters they say that is normal cause its a long way to push antifreeze. I told them they were full of [moderator edit] that would be a SAFETY hazard while driving in cold weather. I don't expect it to be 80 or 90 degrease, but at least warmer. temp gauge fluctuates between 178 and 181. Asked dealer if there was a shut off valve back by engine, they said no. Talked with friends with coaches and they something is wrong. Asking for more input. Thanks in advance.
gramps66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #2

They take you for an idiot, is what it looks like.

All you need do is buy a cheap digital temp gauge and measue the difference from cold to a fully warmed up coach. If there is no increase in temp, you have a problem. You may have a bad thermostat, too. If it's stuck open, it could take a long time to warm up. Don't give up and give in.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #3

on your firewall you will find your heater hoses. there will be a valve in line that is mechanically or vacuum actuated, it may be stuck or have a line off of it.
if it is vacuum and all lines are on it you might check that it is getting vacuum to it as you could have a bad vacuum pump (also mounted on firewall,just follow lines)
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:20 PM   #4

Has it every worked satisfactorily?

I would be very surprised if there are not two gate valves, one in each of the supply and return line, right back near the engine. Normally one high and one low.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #5

Gramps, what kind of engine, if it is a cummins it has a valve back by the engine that shuts off the flow of water to the front. Crawl under there and take a look, mine looks just like the old round faucet handle.
It will be on a heater hose, more than likely.
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #6

Only guessing --here are some possibilities: 1-there is a cut off at the engine--doubt it; 2- hoses reversed at h-valve on fire wall in front of dash; 3-mechanical or vacuum issue, h-valve not openning--probable; 4-vacuum controlled air flow doors in heater box not openning-possible; or 5-plugged heater core-also probable. Unless you have the background or interest yourself--find another shop. Most MH dash heaters are from the auto industry so any good backyard auto repair place should be able figure it out.
PS--this assumes the obvious that the fan is working and all the inside outlet hoses are connected--ie you get cold air blowing.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #7

Engine is a 400 cummins. I mentioned to them about a possible vacumn leak or a valve back by the engine. I even told them about thermostat and flapper door in dash. I bought coach used, picked it up in march (weather was nice did not need heat). Its still at dealer told them Im not driving another 3 hours 1 way to find its not working!!!!!!!!!!!!
gramps66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #8

Mine wasn't working either. Opened up hatch on front of coach and on the firewall there was a broken vacuum line. This vacuum line was about the size of a #12 electrical wire which is what I thought it was at first.
Part of the line was still hooked to the accumulator(plastic chamber about the size of a baseball) and the other part of the line disappeared through the firewall into the dash area.
There was just enough slack to hook up the line thru the dash directly to the accumulator. Heater (and a/c) work great now. I hope your fix is this easy.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #9

Its really hard to find "good" RV repair folks these days--that's why I suggested a different shop. If you are "tied" to these guys because of warranty or cost concerns--this is going to be a challenge for you. Ref my earlier msg, there are only a few things that can cause the problem. You/they should be able to verify that hot water [coolant] is circulating to the front bulkhead, then the h-valve then the heater core and finally the air doors. Remove the hoses from the h-valve, and temp connect with a pipe/clamps. Verify heated coolant flow--given how these hoses wind thru the frame/chassis, there might be a hose pinch somewhere. [Engine issues like bad thermostat or water pump would cause other issues besides no dash heat.] No sense diagnosing vacuum lines, h-valves and doors until you confirm you are getting heated coolant forward.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #10

I am in the same situation I recently bought a 2005 diesel pusher Bounder. Last week I discovered that I did not have dash heat. With my limited knowledge I did confirm that I was circulating water through the heater core and back to the radiator. However, it is not very hot to the touch. My temp gauge does not show degrees but it runs under 'normal'. My guess that my problem is that the thermostat is not working correctly. So my next step is to put in a new one and see what happens.
Joedean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps66 View Post
Engine is a 400 cummins. I mentioned to them about a possible vacumn leak or a valve back by the engine. I even told them about thermostat and flapper door in dash. I bought coach used, picked it up in march (weather was nice did not need heat). Its still at dealer told them Im not driving another 3 hours 1 way to find its not working!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check your coolant level. If level is low, the front heater will be the first to starve.
Norm Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 PM   #12

I have a cummins ISL 400 and back at the engine on the driver side there is a valve on a water line. If the handle is pointed sideways the valve is shut off. The handle should be in line with the hose.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #13

Actually I have 2 shut off valves. One is just aft and below the ac compressor and the other is just below the the last exhaust port back. Both are on the drivers side of the engine.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #14

Hello, don't know if you checked but mine has an electric valve in the front passenger side on the firewall that gets wet when it rains. Water intrudes into the motor of the electric valve and rusted. The motor was locked and could not move. I pulled it apart (cover has some screws) and oiled it. It worked until it rained and it froze up again. Replaced it and haven't had a problem since. Mine is a 2002 H R. Tech support for these motor homes is great!!!
keith samrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, heater, heating