Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2022, 02:21 PM   #1

Dash Heating and A/C Controls Not working

I have a 2008 American Heritage. My first trip out, I am 3 days in and the heater/AC Fan Controls are not responding to inputs. They were working fine, and then just stopped. I have checked all the fuses I could fine, under the steps, in the bays etc... none of them were blown. The fan knob clicks as I move it from low to high, like normal. The heater/cool adjustment knob turns like it should, but since there is no air moving, not sure if it is doing anything.

Thanks for any advise/direction.
DalePal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2022, 03:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Do you hear the blower running? If you hear the blower but no air moves, I would check for a vacuum line problem. The vents are controlled by vacuum operated louvers. Without vacuum - no air movement.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:46 PM   #3

Usually if you lose blower resistor pack you still have high. If loss of controls for dampers ,default is to defrost for safety. Have you actually located "the" blower fuse. Not unheard of to a lose blower motor but they tend to lock up and squeal a bit first , "not a rule though".Most heater controls are adopted from auto/truck parts. I suppose the fan dial could fail, it would be my last bet. Always suspect grounds.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 03:07 PM   #4

Firs things first. Have you determined if 12V is present at the the control panel?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCFDCapt View Post
Do you hear the blower running? If you hear the blower but no air moves, I would check for a vacuum line problem. The vents are controlled by vacuum operated louvers. Without vacuum - no air movement.

Diesel pushers do not have vacuum.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 10:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post

Some like mine have a small vacuum pump for the a/c controls up front.
Old 12-27-2022, 12:53 AM   #7

Originally Posted by Rob_M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post

There are a lot of diesel vehicles including medium duty trucks, cars, motor-homes, and step vans that use electric or engine driven vacuum pumps to supply vacuum for brake boosters, emission control systems, climate control and accessories. Cummins "B" engines are frequently fitted with a vacuum pump run off the drive on the back of the timing case. Newer vehicles are less dependent on vacuum for control systems. Digital stepping motors have pretty much taken over those duties.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 05:16 AM   #8

Quite often the blower speed switch gets burned up due to the poor design of the switch and the high current the blower motors pull.

Noting you say you are not feeling any air moving tends to indicate to me that you may have this problem - we do on our ‘02 coach, and I’m in the process of replacing the switch and adding relays that will handle the motor current while the switch will only handle the relay coil current (I plan to document the process to IRV2, hopefully finishing today).
Old 12-27-2022, 06:19 AM   #9

Can also "like mine" use a vacuum inducer. They use air pressure , just a small flow from the air compressor to make vacuum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_C View Post
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 06:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
Originally Posted by Rob_M

There are a lot of diesel vehicles including medium duty trucks, cars, motor-homes, and step vans that use electric or engine driven vacuum pumps to supply vacuum for brake boosters, emission control systems, climate control and accessories. Cummins "B" engines are frequently fitted with a vacuum pump run off the drive on the back of the timing case. Newer vehicles are less dependent on vacuum for control systems. Digital stepping motors have pretty much taken over those duties.

I was aware that many diesel vehicles have vacuum pumps. Didn’t realize some DP’s did also. My American Coach on Spartan does not. (that I’m aware of). Appreciate the correction.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:49 PM   #11

Thanks for all the information

Thanks to everyone, looks like I need to add a little more information.

First, I turn the fan knob and absolutely nothing happens, My first guess is a fuse. I looked everywhere and have not located a blown fuse. I may be missing a fuse block. I found these fuse blocks: 1. Under the stairs, 2. In the bay on the passenger side mid way down. It has a cover that you have to turn a knob in the middle and the cover comes off. There were two different fuse blocks like this. 3. In the last bay on the passenger side, alongside the motor.

The motor is a Cummins 10.8L 500HP if that helps.

I could have a burnt out switch, since it was working fine, and just stopped. I have limited access while on the road. Will be back home January 10th (about 2 weeks from now) and will have more ability to diag.

My gut tells me I am missing a fuse block, or missed the blown fuse...
DalePal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:13 PM   #12

We have an 09 Tradition, the duct dampers are driven by small servo motors. In the front drivers side compartment (under the driver) is the ac lines, dryer, heater core, etc. look for an inline fuse close to the blower motor. I dont know if thats your fix, but look at it.

Tags
dash, heat, heating