Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2021, 01:18 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dash movement while traveling

Not sure how to title this but this is the problem. I have a sweaking sound coming from my dash left of the driver side. It is like wood rubbing against plastic. I can spray the gap between the dash and side panel with silicone and will stop the noise for most of a trip but comes back after a couple of days. I can re spray and again quiets the noise.

Any suggestions? It seems to be getting worse each trip.
kirkpal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2021, 01:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkpal1 View Post
Not sure how to title this but this is the problem. I have a sweaking sound coming from my dash left of the driver side. It is like wood rubbing against plastic. I can spray the gap between the dash and side panel with silicone and will stop the noise for most of a trip but comes back after a couple of days. I can re spray and again quiets the noise.

Any suggestions? It seems to be getting worse each trip.
Not sure of the specifics of your rig, but in mine the dash cap comes off on the drivers side. Mine was also making enough noises to drive you batty. I lifted off the cap, placed several heavy duty velcro strips (the really thick, cushy kind) about a foot long each in various places. That calmed it down immensely. Hopefully, you can do something similar.(?)
Old 10-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #3
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get under the dash with some small wrenches, sockets, extensions, Blue Locktite and screw drivers and start by taking off nuts one-at-a-time and applying the Locktite and tightening them. Look for screws that are worked out or assembled into air. On the top of dash pop any screw covers off and tighten them. Felt pads between components that you can't re-adjust.

I found it best to have someone to hand you tools and to help to pull you out when you are finished. A chiropractor, a masseuse and hot tube also help. In a few days you can walk again.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:37 PM   #4

My DW solved ours with a strip of felt fabric pushed in the joint.
Old 10-14-2021, 08:12 PM   #5

Use business cards between the plastic spots to stop the squeak.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 08:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had the same issue with my last coach. I spent several hours under the front cap installing washers under the nuts that held the dash in place. Actually found sever studs that didn't even have a nut on them. I think if you look really close you'll find some of the same.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:13 PM   #7

On mine.. found lose hardware and found where no hardware was used.. that was supposed to have been there.. workers missed? And time loosens everything.. oh saw a post here.. where a member found frame support cracked.. so use all safety precautions and check under front rv for cracks in metal framing that supports front cap.. it's the metal square channel not rv frame.. good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-15-2021, 08:10 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Squeaky Dash

Thanks to all that replied to my post. I will go back under the dash again with a new attitude knowing I am not the only one with this problem.

I am sorry that my profile needs up dating so I did not give all information as to my coach. I have a 2012 Tiffin Allegro Open Road with 57000 miles.

If anyone has some experience with this particular model I would welcome it.

Thanks again to all that responded.
kirkpal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:10 PM   #9

On my 2004 Pace Arrow the "dash" is nothing but a vinyl covered slab of plywood from side to side and it "fluttered" like the skin on a drum.
I cut 2 peices of bed rail angle iron and screwed it to the board and the firewall at a 45 degree angle. = no more flutter......

Mike in Colorado
Old 10-15-2021, 03:17 PM   #10

Must be a Tiffin problem. My dash squeaks as too and from what I have learned most Breezes do as well.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, travel