Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #1

Dash Radio Replacement

I want to replace the dash radio in my 2010 Bounder with a touch screen type of radio. The problem is I don't know which brand. I am looking at JVC, Pioneer and Kenwood. Based on your experiences, which brand should I get?
novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #2

I think I would go to a good reputable radio/stereo shop and see what they have that strikes your fancy and ask questions.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #3

There are many options out there however i would stick with a name brand such as Alpine, Pioneer, JVC, Sony, etc. Personally i'm partial to Pioneer for anything I have. I've installed them in my cars, motorcycles, boats and now the MH. Of most note is the fact i installed a non-marine (coated component) Pioneer head unit in my boat and three years later it still works flawlessly as new. I know of a few name brands that can't say that for longevity. Either way find one that works the way you like.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I added the Pioneer AVIC D-1 to mine seven years ago. The AVIC models have AM/FM/XM/DVD/CD and GPS. Many don't like the GPS mounted in a dash radio, but I love it because it plays the driving directions through the stereo speakers. Several of the Pioneer models come with a steering wheel remote. This is another great feature. I can turn the volume up or down, change stations and repeat GPS directions from the steering wheel. We actually run two GPS units. The dash unit gets the entire trip routed in. My wife has a second one near her that lets her plug in quick stops while driving, rest stops, fuel, food, etc.

If you don't need all of the features above, they make several models without the GPS. Mine is going on eight years old and has been flawless. They also sell map updates. I've replaced mine once since new.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by novi2some View Post
I want to replace the dash radio in my 2010 Bounder with a touch screen type of radio. The problem is I don't know which brand. I am looking at JVC, Pioneer and Kenwood. Based on your experiences, which brand should I get?
FWIW, I replaced the basic bottom of the range Pioneer AVH 1400 in our Bounder with the top of the line AVH 8400. Simple direct swap - same harness, same mounting. The OEM radio did not have Bluetooth for hands free but it did include a DVD player ( not to be used while driving ) ! As if any of us need that with all the other TVs around us. The 8400 also includes HD radio and neat hook ups for iPhone and USB flash drives. Oh, and the sound output is a great deal better.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #6

I am looking at Pioneer and Kenwood as possible replacements.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #7

Rdio

Want to replace mine in our 2008 bounder...but for a different reason. Ours is so complicated it's impossible to use. I have to get out the manual just to change the time....ridiculous. The location is to far from the driver its impossible to read the very small buttons. I'm looking for the simplest am/fm/Sirius I can find..with readable prompts.
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #8

IMHO I would stay away from Alpine. They have a habit of not having map updates for their navigation enabled units.

I'm stuck with one.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #9

Bandmbrown, that is why I am replacing the radio in my 2010 Bounder. The buttons are hard to see and I'm tired in not knowing what button to push.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #10

Pioneer x2. Very well made units. I have put them in several boats and will put one in my rv. My sons do want a big amp and subs for football tailgating.
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandmbrown View Post
Want to replace mine in our 2008 bounder...but for a different reason. Ours is so complicated it's impossible to use. I have to get out the manual just to change the time....ridiculous. The location is to far from the driver its impossible to read the very small buttons. I'm looking for the simplest am/fm/Sirius I can find..with readable prompts.
My JVC has a key chain remote that simplifies some of your concerns.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Remotes

I put in a JVC with front & rear USB ports for connecting iPods, USB memory, hard drives (works with a 1TB USB powered drive - that's a lot of music), satellite, Bluetooth for both music and phone. It has a remote that I stuck to the steering wheel with Velcro, and it allowed me to change the display colors to match 'Freightliner Green'.

Biggest problem was enlarging the 1.5DIN hole to hold a double-DIN radio. The new radio was deeper to. I did lots of grinding with a dremel.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a JVC with a pop up touch screen in mine but I took it out and installed a gm am/fm/cd radio in mine. the position of the screen was so that it was hard to use and drive too and the GPS never wanted to go the way I wanted to go when I travel no matter how many waypoints you put in it.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash, radio, replacement