Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2022, 03:42 PM   #1

Day trip to Key West? Will a class A fit on those roads?

I'm going to be camping the family right near Key West, Florida soon, and they are begging to drive down for the day.

I'm getting extremely mixed reviews regarding whether the roads are safe for a Class A when I Google the topic, so I was hoping I might find some folks here with personal experience.

I'm driving a 2017 Thor Outlaw 37 BG, which is 39' long. My Garmin RV 770 doesn't show any warnings when I map it out, but it's betrayed me before.

Our main goals were to go to the "southernmost point" site, get some key lime pie, hopefully the butterfly house, and maybe hit a beach. Even just the southernmost site thing would at least satisfy everybody's "bucket list" motivation.

Any recommendations would be extremely welcome. If there are specific roads/destinations to stick to or avoid, if we should call the whole thing off, etc. Please let me know if there is a better forum for me to move this to.

Thanks!
StarBlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2022, 05:07 PM   #2

If you are a veteran of US service you may be able to get a site at Sigsbee Campground for your stay. There are a few other campgrounds on the nest key east of Key West you can try and you'll be about 5 miles from Hemingway's drinking place. Bring a Toad or bikes (or rent them) to get into Key West.

In direct answer to you question, having been there last December with our 36' motorhome - NO, NO, you do not want to drive your MH into Key West, you'd never find a place to park, the roads are narrow and the traffic/pedestrians/bikes/construction/streets are crowded.

There is also ground transportation but we had more fun using out bikes.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #3

Agreed. Find a place to park your rig as close to Key West as you can find. Maybe the hospital lot on Stock Island which is close. Uber or Taxi to Duval or if you have bikes ride from there. Lots of bike rentals, electric carts to rent or just walk. You won’t regret leaving the coach behind I promise you.
Rick
Ri-Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:15 PM   #4

I don't think the issue will be the roads to/from Key West...those the Class A can handle. Navigating Key West will be a challenge in a Class A (doable, but both you and others around you will get frustrated).

The real issue will be where to park for the few hours you are there. A Class A is not going to fit in a normal parking spot, and Key West is an island with limited space.

Domo and Ri-Di have the better approach...find a local RV park (on another island) and take your towed vehicle (if you have one), or maybe look into an Uber to get to/from Key West.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:27 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Big rig key west ??

NO NO NO way Jose sorry
Old 05-17-2022, 06:43 PM   #6

Someone on another forum recently suggested getting a day pass to the state park (Fort Zachary Taylor SP?) , then parking the coach there while going the last mile or so into town on I think a bicycle.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:00 PM   #7

Even if you find a place to park a CL A on Key West island/city you won't have much time to sight-see. If I remember correctly it's 6 hours drive from the mainland to Key West, the highway speed limit is 45 mph and traffic is too heavy to attempt to drive faster.
It's my guess, every RV site from Homestead FL to Key West is already booked for the year-well with the exception of June through November when they might be dodging hurricanes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:01 PM   #8
Community Moderator

No, the Class A is too big. Duvall Street is narrow, and the traffic is heavy. We spent 2 weeks there over last Thanksgiving. We stayed at Sunshine Key, an Encore Park, it is almost 40 miles from Key West.
Going to "The Southern Most Point" in the Class A is not advisable. That turn is tight then at the buoy, real tight turn.
Parking in Key West, behind The Bull & Whistle Bar is $5.00/hr. It is a small tight lot.
The lot close to Kermit's is the same price and there is only room for cars & it is tight for dually pickups.
Near to Smather's Beach is parking, but not sure if they would allow a big
Class A to take up so many spots.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:16 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I live in Big Pine Key and drive down to KW all the time. In my car.

Let's be honest. Don't be an idiot and drive your Class A to KW. Old Town is tight, Southernmost Point is tight, Duval Street is tight. Truman Ave (Rt. 1) is tight with cars parked on both sides.

If you're staying at Boyds, you can easily Uber or even bike.

If you're staying at Bluewater, there's a busstop right outside the campground.

If you're staying at the Sugarloaf KOA, you may be able to get an Uber.

Uber to Southernmost Cafe to get Key Lime Pie. Walk 1 block to Southernmost Point and be ready to wait on line to take a selfie. Walk 2 blocks to Butterfly House.

I also recommend Hemigway's house.

KW beaches are not that great. Better to go to Bahia Honda State Park about MM35.

Enjoy but use common sense. KW is great but the worst part are tourists who think there are no rules or everyone in KW is there to accommodate their bad decisions.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:33 AM   #10

Have you by any chance pulled up Google Earth and looked at Key West City streets and parking? When you do you'll see why driving a MH through Key West city is discouraged.
We tow a 2013 Chevy Silverado K1500 cc pickup and it's almost too large/long for parking on the old town streets, when I could actually find a vacant spot.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:44 AM   #11

A trip to Key West of some sort has been on my bucket list for a while. I never thought about the potential incompatibility between the area and my class A until this thread. I appreciate the on-the-ground info provided. So now when the time comes I will certainly have a much better plan of attack.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #12

Hop on the $1.00 bus from as far East as Marathon to reach the Hop on Hop off bus depot in Key West. They make all the tourist stops.

Wintered in Book Key harbor, Marathon for 8 years.

Between Christmas and New Years the bus is free.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBlocked View Post
I'm going to be camping the family right near Key West, Florida soon, and they are begging to drive down for the day.

It would help if you told us where you are going to be camping....
Old 05-19-2022, 05:47 AM   #14

Bring a toad

Tags
class a, hose