Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #1

DC side not working

I have a 04 hurricane (Thor ) I had my house batteries go bad so I just replaced them. On shore power all lights & appliances are working. When I disconnect the shore power and go to the house batteries nothing works. I checked all the fuses in the dc dist box and all are ok. Fuses on the converter are ok. Back up camera works and I was able to remote start the generator. What could it be a bad dc converter? Any suggestions or fixes are much appreciated.
JPolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #2

Did you check your switch for the 12 volt at the entry door. Must be on to activate the 12volt
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
Did you check your switch for the 12 volt at the entry door. Must be on to activate the 12volt
Yes I activated the switch. Wondering about a relay or fuse
Old 08-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #4

Did you get any sparks when you hooked up the new batteries ?
Is your coach on a Freightliner chassis?
Have you checked for , charging voltage from the convertor to the battery bank when plugged into shore power?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Did you get any sparks when you hooked up the new batteries ?
Is your coach on a Freightliner chassis?
Have you checked for , charging voltage from the convertor to the battery bank when plugged into shore power?
Hi Skip
I checked the voltage while on shore power and got 12.8 volts. It is not on a freight liner chassis is on a ford. The batteries did not spark while connecting.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #6

Look around for a blade fuse as pictured below. These type of fuses (150-175 amp) are used pretty extensively on the house battery side in many units. Unfortunately these are notorious for breaking due to vibration and not necessarily due to high amperage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FRAPDNKUUECH.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	44950  
Old 08-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are your batteries hooked up correctly?
Are the batteries same type 6v or 12v?
Top links have info on batteries.
Make sure you have good ground connection to chassis frame from battery.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Look around for a blade fuse as pictured below. These type of fuses (150-175 amp) are used pretty extensively on the house battery side in many units. Unfortunately these are notorious for breaking due to vibration and not necessarily due to high amperage.
Hi
Looked around and did not see that type . Thanks for your help
Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Are your batteries hooked up correctly?
Are the batteries same type 6v or 12v?
Top links have info on batteries.
Make sure you have good ground connection to chassis frame from battery.
Batteries are hooked up correctly, two 12volt, ground is good.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #10

Looks like, it's down to following the positive cable looking for a fuse or relay, volt meter in hand .

Another member found the fuse in the positive cable , after finding out that it is required by the Underwriters Laboratory , for fire protection. No run of a power cable over a certain length without a fuse. My coach has one within 3 feet of the battery positive post.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Looks like, it's down to following the positive cable looking for a fuse or relay, volt meter in hand .

Another member found the fuse in the positive cable , after finding out that it is required by the Underwriters Laboratory , for fire protection. No run of a power cable over a certain length without a fuse. My coach has one within 3 feet of the battery positive post.
Skip thanks I will give that a try tomorrow, I will keep you posted.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:06 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a FW-2050 Battery Control Center (BCC) under your hood. Take the cover off and reset CB 5. CB 5 is mounted along the edge of the circuit board. This circuit breaker has a small black button on the side of it. Press it in to reset battery power to the coach.

If you have a different BCC, I would start troubleshooting there. Make sure you are getting power from your coach disconnect relay when the relay is engaged and not disconnected. From the relay, the power goes to the distribution board. Make sure the 12 volts is getting there.

When on shore power (or generator ), the 12 volt power is coming from your converter through the house fuse panel to your BCC, when not on shore power (or generator,) the 12 volt comes straight from your batteries to your BCC. Two different inputs to the BCC for coach power. Sounds like your are only getting the 12 volts when on shore power and not battery power.

Don't get me started on BCC Chassis power, many Thor motor homes are having issues with the chassis disconnect relay, and has resulted in a recall of the BCC.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
If you have a FW-2050 Battery Control Center (BCC) under your hood. Take the cover off and reset CB 5. CB 5 is mounted along the edge of the circuit board. This circuit breaker has a small black button on the side of it. Press it in to reset battery power to the coach.

If you have a different BCC, I would start troubleshooting there. Make sure you are getting power from your coach disconnect relay when the relay is engaged and not disconnected. From the relay, the power goes to the distribution board. Make sure the 12 volts is getting there.

When on shore power (or generator ), the 12 volt power is coming from your converter through the house fuse panel to your BCC, when not on shore power (or generator,) the 12 volt comes straight from your batteries to your BCC. Two different inputs to the BCC for coach power. Sounds like your are only getting the 12 volts when on shore power and not battery power.

Don't get me started on BCC Chassis power, many Thor motor homes are having issues with the chassis disconnect relay, and has resulted in a recall of the BCC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1872237135.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	44968

Hi,

Your solution seems to isolate the problem I am having. I check the BCC and could not find CB5. I attached a photo of the BCC. Does it look familiar or maybe point mien the right direction. All your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is not a FW-2050. You need to get a schematic of it. Do have manufacturer and part number? It looks like "Intellec" not "RV Custom Products"

I see the 2 test points on the bottom, Says "see service manual"
I did not see any circuit breakers.

Post the manufacturer and part number, maybe someone has schematic to share.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote