Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #1

De-Winterizing Pay or Do It Yourself?

I paid someone to winterize my RV. He is not available this week and I need an oil change so I asked the RV Shop what they charge to de-winterize. They said starting at a $100. Is this reasonable or is it just running water through the system, adding the chorine and flushing the lines? The instructions seem simple enough but many things do when you are reading.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #2

How was the winterizing done? With the pink stuff, or were the lines just blown out with air?

If it's the pink stuff, just drain it out of the fresh water tank, fill the tank with water (or half fill it), and run it through the on board pump, kitchen, bathroom, shower, toilet, & outside shower until it's not pink anymore.

Since the pink stuff is drinkable, that's about all you need to do. I've never used the pink stuff to winterize...always just use air to blow the lines, but I understand it does flavor your water a bit for awhile. I haven't heard about using bleach after doing this but I don't think it would hurt anything. I'd flush it, then refill using hydrogen peroxide, 1oz/60 gals, along with 1/2 cup baking soda/60 gals to sweeten the water.

$100 for that to the dealer is just helping sweeten their bottom line. Which is OK, it's your call.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #3

It was dewinterized with the pink stuff. The chlorine was mentioned in the manual to sanitize the systems.

The $100 is just the shops hourly rate and I think this is more time than skill unless I'm missing something really important.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #4

$100.00 to much if all you need to do is add water to your fresh tank and run thru all lines as stated above. You want to make sure the water heater valves are turned the way they should be after flushing lines and if there is a on off toggle switch under the panel outside it is also turned back on.

Think thats all I have to do.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #5

Oh, I just remembered that usually, the hot water tank is just drained, and the bypass valve is opened so no pink stuff should be in there. Leave it that way when you're pumping out the pink stuff. After that's done, then you close the bypass valve and fill it with the mostly pink free water.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Way too much money, very easy to do at home.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
agree with the others. While I know everyon is not a DIYer, some things, such as dewinterizing and sanitizing your RV's fresh water system, should be on anyone's cando list.

Doi you "call the guy" to change light bulbs in your stick house?

Check your manuals, and git-er-doneu
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
In fifteen years, I don't think I ever had anyone pay us to dewinterize. I had several people call or come by and ask for advice but it is so simple anyone can do it.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #9

$100.00 saved, = 25 gals of fuel = 200 miles???? Its a good day!!
Old 03-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #10

Just finished getting ready for spring. Used the pink stuff in the fall to winterize. To de-winterize I use a 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gals of fresh water to sanatize the system. Fill the tank 1/2-3/4 full and then run the bleach and fill the tank. I pour mine down the fill hose to sanatize that as well. Run all the faucets until you can smell the bleach coming from each. (usually about 1-2 minutes) I let my set overnight but 4-5 hrs can work as well. Leave the bypass to the hot water so as not to get this into the hot water tank. The next day, I run the faucets again for 1-2 minutes each and then drain the fresh water tank. Refill the tank and run all faucets again until the bleach smell is gone from each. Make sure you do this to the shower or the DW will have bleached hair if she takes the 1st shower. Drain the system again with fresh water and that should be all you need to do. Its is time consuming (mainly waiting) but as easy as filling and draining the system. Easy money saved for something better!
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would do it myself. Being you didn't winterize it make sure to check your washing machine hoses to make sure they are hooked up if you have one, check the water heater if they had to take your anode rod out to drain it. I guess just make sure everything is tightened up before you start running water into your coach or you could have a big mess.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Yup. washer if you have one, water heater, ice maker.

They should have taken the elements out of any water filters before pumping in the pink stuff, make sure first, anbd make sure you have a mnew set of filters. They go on last, after the system is flushed and sanitized.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
come spring i try to blow out the pink stuff and catch what can back into the jugs it came out of.it's close to $4 a gal and every little bit helps
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #14

Thank you for all your advice. I am going to do this myself tomorrow. Buying new filters for the kit sink and icemaker. I'll let you know how it goes.