Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2021, 04:59 AM   #1

De-winterizing washing machine question

2nd owner 2007 Winnebago Journey 39K with stackable washer and dryer. Whirlpool I think but I can double check when I get back in there.

When I went to de-winterize a couple weeks back I ran the washer for a bit on the regular cycle as instructions indicate but though I thought I could hear water sloshing around in there, the drum remained dry.

A look in the small door to the back of the unit reveals opaque water lines and there are still pink in them! I ensured the supply valves at the back of the washer were open and I traced the lines as best I could but found no other cutoff valves.

If there's anyone out there who has had the same issue or is smarter than I (I'm sure there are several) I'd really like to talk to you or learn what I need to look for.
ljwieberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2021, 09:02 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Did you go to the low point drains to get rid of the pink stuff? Once you do that run the normal cycle maybe and see what happens !
Old 04-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #3

If the unit has a winterization kit and the hot water heater bypass is still "on" and you ran a hot water wash, that could answer why no water got to the washer. Do you have hot and cold water everywhere else in the coach? If so, perhaps the washer's pump has gone bad?

When I dewinterize a washer, I run a full warm water cycle with bleach. Just my personal process to fully cleanse and rinse the system.

My last coach was a 2007 Journey 39K and mine had no other valves controlling water to the washer. Mine had a spigot near the washer connections. If yours does as well, see if you have water there.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our washer is hooked up to cold water only, and uses an internal electric heater to get hot water as needed. No hot water heater needed.

These HE washers use very little water. I think I ran mine through two rinse+spin cycles before I didn't get any more bursts of air and slugs of pinkish water. Especially if you run the washer before purging all your other lines, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you didn't get any water on your first attempt.

But do make sure that your low point drains are shut, your winterizing intake hose is bypassed, your water heater drain plug is installed, and your water heater is not bypassed. (I would wait to un-bypass your water heater until after your lines have been flushed, so you don't get even diluted pink stuff in your hot water tank.)
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:42 AM   #5

Thanks guys for the good replies. We're taking it out for the first time (shakedown) next weekend. KOA down by the bridge tunnel, about 90 miles South. I plan to look into it more then while we're checking out all the systems. We only got it Dec 18th last year and up now it's been parked and pinked.
Anyway, yes I have good clear water everywhere but the washer. I'll try all the advice I've been lucky enough to get here and see what I can find out. Not sure about a winterization kit on the washer, but good water everywhere else. I did go ahead and turn off the HWH bypass to allow it to fill as we're only a week out from using it. I did not heat it up though as I figured if I ran a cold cycle it wouldn't matter if I had hot water or not. Remains to be seen I suppose. The only low point drain I can find is in the same compartment as the winterizing suction hose. It is closed (at first it wasn't and I wondered where all my water was going lol) and the winterization valve is in bypass. Ok thanks. I'll be back when I know more.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #6

My guess is that you haven’t run it enough yet to clear the lines. Having it on for “ a bit” probably won’t do the job. There ‘s an inside drum that controls the clothes and there’s an outside drum that controls the water. It’s quite possible that “a bit” of water didn’t wet the clothes drum. Also, if you asked for a cold wash, the hot line wouldn’t have been cleared, and if you asked for a hot wash, the cold line wouldn’t have been cleared. Also be sure there’s no pink in the water heater.
I think you just need to run it some more, or you may end up with some pink in your panties.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:22 AM   #7

Update: During our shakedown camping this past weekend, we turned the washer on Regular wash and let her rip. Bummer..... it seems it's stuck on the Spin cycle. There is a Pre-Wash selection with an associated indicator so we stopped it after about 20 minutes of it doing nothing (and of course there will be no water flow on the Spin cycle.... only wash and rinse) and waited the two minutes to open the door. We then selected Regular wash and Pre-Wash and let her rip again. Same result except it did not move from the Spin cycle and the Spin indicator was the only only one that lit up. Next step for me I think is to get the manual from the info bag and see if I can find a customer service number and call them with the model and issue I'm having. Hopefully they will direct me accordingly. On a separate note, wife said the dryer worked excellent when drying the grandboys beach towels..... I'll be back when I know more.
Old 04-14-2021, 02:15 PM   #8

Assuming your washer is a Splendidie brand: Splendide Laundry Centers - Home
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:16 AM   #9

Ray,
Thanks for the link but it is actually a Whirlpool.
Not certain if it's aftermarket or not but the manual was in my InfoPack. I pulled it out last evening and will try to get some answers from Customer Service. I'll be back when I know more.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:39 PM   #10

Find your manual it may have troubleshooting section ,google you model and symptoms. The old style knob twister ones have tiny timer motors the usually last a very long time but do fail or might little contacts that driven by timer. When in doubt power off for while. It may be stuck in cycle trying to get all water pumped out. A front loader has the little basket filter in front, some have little drain hose in there too {drain that into container} if not crack basket open use a wet vac if you have one, I don't want a few gallons of pink and water gushing out at you.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I know you don’t have a Splendide, but ours won’t cancel the cycle no matter what you select unless you reset it. Check your manual for instructions to cancel a cycle.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:42 AM   #12

Yay! Problem solved! (I think). So my washer was stuck on the Spin cycle and I couldn't get it to de-winterize. We messed with it more on the shakedown camp weekend with the same result. This past Friday afternoon, I was searching for a remedy online and came across a forum entry that said to reset the washer cycle, unplug the unit for 10 or so seconds and plug it back in. Well what do you know? When I plugged it back in and turned it on it went to the Wash cycle like it's supposed to do. Rather than try it in the driveway and run the washer into the gray tank, I will wait until we go camping again the last weekend of April when I'm hooked to their sewer. I have a few old white tee shirts I want for rags and I'll run those through a few cycles to get the pink out. Fingers crossed....

Thanks all for the advice and comment! As always, appreciate.

Tags
winter