Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

De winterizing water lines

Can anyone help me? I flushed my water lines of rv antifreeze before our first trip a few weeks ago. We are now day three of our second trip and I still have a faint taste and scent of antifreeze in the water. What do you use to eliminate this? Thanks for the help
James
Teamgreger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
The generally accepted method of sanitizing your RV's fresh water system as outlined below involves filling the fresh water tank with a solution of household bleach and running the solution through each faucet. Then letting it stand for at least three hours. Finally, flush the system once or twice to remove the taste and smell. I will have to see if I have it written somewhere what part bleach to water.
BRONCO2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
This procedure is one you'll find in most any book about RVing it tried and true but be sure to read on to find out what I do.
Start with a nearly full fresh water tank.
Turn the water heater off and let the water cool.
Dilute 1/4 cup of household bleach for each 15 gallons of tank capacity in to a gallon of water.
Add the chlorine/water solution to the water tank. (Never pour straight bleach into the RV fresh water tank. )
One faucet at a time, let the chlorinated water run through them for one or two minutes. You should be able to smell the chlorine. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply.)
Top off the RV fresh water tank and let stand for at least three hours over night is better.
Completely drain the system by flushing the faucets for several minutes each. Open the fresh water tank drain valve to speed up emptying the tank.and Open the hot water tank drain plug and drain until it is empty.
Close all valves and faucets and drain plugs.
Fill water tank with fresh water.
Flush each faucet for several minutes each repeating until the tank is again empty. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply.)
Fill the tank again. The water should now be safe to drink but if the chlorine odor is too strong you can repeat the fresh water flush.
Your RV fresh water system should now be safe for use.
BRONCO2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #4

Regarding the taste of antifreeze in your system - you need to look for things that allow the water to mix with the antifreeze instead of pushing it out. The hot water tank is one, drain it for starters although you are probably getting the taste from the cold system.

If you put any antifreeze in your fresh tank, it will take a really long time, but you didn't suggest doing that. If you did you have to dump the tank, rinse it, and then refill.

I found that my biggest problem was the filter units that came with the coach. Mine were two fairly large plastic cylindrical canisters that each held a filter. I would take the filters out to winterize but had to put the canisters back to pressurize the system.Blowing the lines clear doesn't empty them because the inlet and outlet are both at the top of the canister. When you fill the system with antifreeze they become mixing stations. If you have them, after you flush some water to clear out the front end of the system, you have to drop them rinse them out and fill them with water and put them back. I have now removed the filters permanently and use them outside the coach (I filter the water going into the tank or into the city connection).

If you don't have built in filters, you need to run a lot of water. BTW, I usually do this while on city water and run the taps into a big bucket to avoid filling my black and grey tanks.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another method is to suck in vinegar through the same connection you used to load in the antifreeze. Supposedly it both sanitizes and counter acts the antifreeze. But lots of water flushing is still the best.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONCO2009 View Post
This procedure is one you'll find in most any book about RVing it tried and true but be sure to read on to find out what I do.
Dilute 1/4 cup of household bleach for each 15 gallons of tank capacity in to a gallon of water.
Add the chlorine/water solution to the water tank. (Never pour straight bleach into the RV fresh water tank. )
One faucet at a time, let the chlorinated water run through them for one or two minutes. You should be able to smell the chlorine. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply.)
Top off the RV fresh water tank and let stand for at least three hours over night is better.
Completely drain the system by flushing the faucets for several minutes each. Open the fresh water tank drain valve to speed up emptying the tank.and Open the hot water tank drain plug and drain until it is empty.
Flush each faucet for several minutes each repeating until the tank is again empty. (Make sure you are using the water pump and not an external water supply.)
Fill the tank again. The water should now be safe to drink but if the chlorine odor is too strong you can repeat the fresh water flush.
Rob
Debarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONCO2009 View Post
Can you leave your hot water tank on bypass, or run it thru hw tank?
mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post
Can you leave your hot water tank on bypass, or run it thru hw tank?
It is my understanding that when winterizing with antifreeze that one would drain the HWH and then bypass it before using antifreeze so none should be in the HWH. Sound correct?

Now, I bought this MH in January with it already winterized. I'm thinking that I would:

1. First flush the antifreeze out with the HWH still in bypass.
2. Go ahead and remove the HWH drain plug to both inspect the tank as best I could then flush it to remove debris and gunk.
3. Then fill my tanks with the bleach solution including filling the HWH with the same solution. Followed that by running water through all faucets until I smell chlorine.
4. Let sit over night. (I will be doing this at home so I will drive it back to storage to get things mixed up nicely.)
5. Next day I will drive it back home, drain fresh water tank then refill with fresh water, run fresh water through all faucets with special attention to hot water taps. (Might even remove HWH drain plug and flush it again to limit amount of water going into grey tank since I don't have quick access to a dumping station.)
6. Drain fresh water tanks one more time and refill. Don't forget to refill HWH if needed before turning it on.

Seem like a plan?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #9

Can't be found ???

We just purchased a 2007 Allegro 28 DA and I would really like to sanitize the fresh water tank, because we have not found anything in the RV that has ever been cleaned. The problem is no one can tell me where the drain is for this coach ??? I have contacted Tiffin and the drain is not located where they think it should be ???? There is no indication that anything was changed from the factory, so where did it go...

Anyone out there have an Allegro 28 that can help ?

Thanks
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:07 PM   #10

Thanks everyone, I did bypass the water heater and only filled the line through the suction line. I am going to get some vinegar and pull it through the lines. Once again thanks for the response.
Spring break camping on the Oregon coast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2278081482.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	480.2 KB
ID:	36189  
Teamgreger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When you sanitize the water system you do the whole system even the water heater.
Two stickies above in this forum have the info.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:36 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
It is my understanding that when winterizing with antifreeze that one would drain the HWH and then bypass it before using antifreeze so none should be in the HWH. Sound correct?
Correct. That's 6 or 10 gallons of antifreeze not needed and saved. When dewinterizing and first flushing the antifreeze out of the system, it is good to leave the water heater bypassed for the first few gallons while flushing. This ensures that the antifreeze is flushed out of the bypass lines since that's where it went during winterization. If you don't do this, you may have residual unflushed antifreeze in the bypass lines that can mix with the fresh water. Not a lot, but could be enough to detect in taste and smell.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You sanitize the HWH to eliminate the possibility of the rotten egg smell during summer months.
Yes you do use the by-pass valves when you winterize to stop flow of anti into the HWH.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #14

I am so thankful to this forum, My wife and I just purchased our first RV a Tiffen Allegro 28 gas , it is winterized already and yesterday I just had a thought of how do I undo this ! now thanks to you all I now know .
Thank you all again !