Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dead battery

Need ideas. Class A, starting battery, 6 months old. Unattended for 3 or 4 weeks. And dead. I charged it and its holding a good charge for several days. but what could drain it so quick? Ignition off, steps off. I am looking at a knife blade switch but would prefer to find another way.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
On our previous motorhome the chassis battery would only stay charged 2 to 3 weeks. I put the knife blade disconnect on the negative post and had no more problems. It was easier than looking for what was draining the battery. I am thinking of doing the same thing to the new one.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look for items that are front end / dash related. CB radio on but turned down, dash radio display on, under the hood light left on, anything plugged into power sockets?
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Your radio memory and clock, engine ECU all take energy from the battery. In addition, you might have other circuits on 'standby' that might use energy. You're taking it out and not putting it back in. Install an isolating switch or put a solar battery charger on the roof if leaving it unattended more than 2-3 weeks.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you are parked outside, you could just put a 5 watt solar panel on the dash and plug it into the cigar lighter
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:01 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
If you are parked outside, you could just put a 5 watt solar panel on the dash and plug it into the cigar lighter
X2, I use an additional 10W panel to keep the house batteries charged.

fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks all. no CB radio, dash radio is on house batteries, MH is undercover so cannt do solar... Still thinking I will do the knife blade to isolate the battery. As DABrooks said, it will be easier than finding the problem.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #8

We got our coach in January and it had new batteries but it took about 3 weeks for my 8D starting battery to go dead. After checking my Xantrex Echo Charger
Xantrex Echo Charge went bad so I replaced it with a Magnum Combiner. Now I have 13.5v all the time when pluged in.
Magnum Me SBC Smart Battery Combiner | eBay
Some coaches do not charge the starting batteries when plug in to power.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Indeed, many coaches do not charge the chassis batteries when plugged in.

As mentioned before, there are a lot of parisitic current drains on a motorhome even with everything turned off. For instance, the power step control unit, the engine and transmission ECUs, and many more.

The Ultra Trickle Start is a good and economical way to keep the chassis batteries topped off when you are charging the house batteries. It is very easy to install and requires no maintenance or looking after.

If you are not plugged in and are storing under a cover, the portable solar panels ( 5 watt or 10 watt )work great too. Just hook them up to your chassis batteries and lay the panel out in the sun. A 10-watt solar panel will not produce enough current to "overcharge" your chassis batteries.

Don
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TV4MYRV, thats an idea to just lay a solar charger on the ground.. I am in a storage lot but its secure and has cameras... Do you think I could put a cable lock on the charger, maybe drill a hole close to the edge..
Old 11-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhoward49 View Post
Thanks all. no CB radio, dash radio is on house batteries, MH is undercover so cannt do solar... Still thinking I will do the knife blade to isolate the battery. As DABrooks said, it will be easier than finding the problem.
Get a disconnect.. If you need convincing get or borrow a fluke meter and see what your parasitic draw is.

Put simply a .25 amp draw (pretty typical) is 6 amps per day, which, in a 100amp starting battery gets you 14 days before dead and maybe less than that is you want to use it to start the coach. There probably is nor problem just normal draw

Cheapest and easiest way is a disconnect. Solar option would work also.
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
One reason that I try not to use the knife switch is that many newer engine and transmission controllers "learn" and "adapt" shift pressures etc, based on driving experience. So when you dis-connect the batteries, the ECUs and TCUs are going through it's learning process every time you start out.

The portable solar chagers that I linked to in the previous post have grommets installed in the corners. I'm sure you could thread a cable through there to provide a "locking" function. However, a determined thief could cut around the grommet. Actually a determined thief can get around almost anything.....
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
One reason that I try not to use the knife switch is that many newer engine and transmission controllers "learn" and "adapt" shift pressures etc, based on driving experience. So when you dis-connect the batteries, the ECUs and TCUs are going through it's learning process every time you start out.

The portable solar chagers that I linked to in the previous post have grommets installed in the corners. I'm sure you could thread a cable through there to provide a "locking" function. However, a determined thief could cut around the grommet. Actually a determined thief can get around almost anything.....
Good point, although many have some non volatile hard memory that stores the important information and reloads it on start or power up. It is a pain to reprogram the stereo tho...
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery