Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2016, 07:56 AM   #1

Dead battery

I'm sure this had been discussed to death, but since it happened to me, my interest level increased 😊. Pulled into camp site last night to find my toad battery was dead. I had started the vehicle about 3 hours earlier and everything was fine.

Toad is a 2013 Ford Flex AWD. Before leaving, I called Ford, went by the dealership, read the owners manual, and the only instructions were to run 5 minutes, shift from park to drive to reverse, then to neutral. I then to the key to 2nd accessories position, and supposedly the car is ready to go.

Any thoughts about how/what should happen?
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 08:12 AM   #2

There is probably a fuse that you can pull to help with the setup. I have had that problem on occasion and now I carry a small battery charger in the toad.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #3

Good advice. Plan to do that as well. If it as simple as pulling a fuse, any idea which fuse?
Arby49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #4

I towed a 2010 Taurus for a couple years and never had a battery problem. Similar set up as the Flex. If you are new to this vehicle, here's a couple of suggestions,

Have the battery load tested. It may be a battery issue.

Do you have a charge line from the MH battery to the toad battery? The term is charge line but in reality it's simply a means of maintaining the battery.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #5

Your battery could be in the group of low quality batteries car manufacturers sometimes use to save money...like cheap tires they put on new vehicles. So you might want to stop at an auto store and have it load tested.

What I did with my car to avoid the problem you're seeing was to add a wire from the RVs house batteries to an unused pin on the 7-way connector. That put 12V charging voltage back to the car when the engine is running or the RV is plugged into shore power through the electrical cord and usually the 6-way connector on the toad. Then at the car I added a Schottky diode to that line and wired directly to the car's battery (through an inline fuse).

That way, I can drive all day, park all night without unhooking, and do that several days in a row without worrying about my car's battery discharging, or it needing to be started. This also allows switching on the car's side markers while towing for improved visibility by other drivers. They are powered from the car's battery and aren't often wired up when a toad is customized for towing.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I also installed a charge line to maintain the battery in my toad. Don't have to pull fuses, don't have to start the engine every stop.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #7

Also, planning on buying a new battery for your toad. These days, car batteries don't handle being run down to such a low level of charge.

Walmart has a two year free replacement program for auto batteries.
bobguigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:36 PM   #8

I pull a 2013 Ford Edge and had the same problem. I believe the problem is that the electronic display "times out" after a short period but comes back to life every time the supplemental braking system engaged.

I started carrying a "jump" box. This solved my immediate problem but still was a PITA and eventually destroyed the battery.

I finally ran charge wires from the chassis batteries to the toad battery. Probably over did it by pulling 10Ga wires but it solved all my problems.

Tags
battery