Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2015, 07:16 AM   #29

Up and running

Thank you all for your responses that my wife posted. We have a 99MD 38A that we purchased 2 months ago and were driving aprox 250 miles on its maiden voyage to take our Grandbaby camping in southern Alberta, Canada. We lost all power to unit while driving at 60mph down the highway. First mechanic narrowed down to alternator and that was wrong... As batteries were fully charged. We camped out on the side of the highway for the evening and waited for daylight for the other mechanic to come and remove alternator to take to dealer to try and match up. This mechanic ruled out alternator and began to check wiring and relays. He narrowed it down to the component between house/chassis batteries... Disconnected and bus purred like a 5.9 cummins should and we set off to complete our arrival at my daughters. Once underway aprox 20 miles outside our destination the bus went into limp mode and overheated. We limped the bus into town to my nephews diesel shop(very fortunate)ken discovered we had lost our fan belt. He replaced and also discovered a few grounding issues from cab to chassis. I discussed with him what the previous tech had done and he said that would have nothing to do with our issue and proceeded to hook the item back up. We fired up the bus and all has been good. We are planning on leaving today toake the journey home and our fingers are crossed that the problems are resolved. Thank you all who responded to my wife's plea for information and apologize for the lack of information required for you folks to offer sound advise... We both are thankful ... And still love our MD!! Keep you posted, Greg.
md99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #30

And...

Our unit is a 99 Monaco Diplomat 38A. She has a 275hp 5.9 Cummins paired with a 6 speed automatic Allison transmission, the unit has 37,000 miles.
md99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by md99 View Post
Our unit is a 99 Monaco Diplomat 38A. She has a 275hp 5.9 Cummins paired with a 6 speed automatic Allison transmission, the unit has 37,000 miles.
md99,
We surely thank you for getting back to all of us with the results of repairs of the issues. So many folks never get back to the folks that try and help. As for the pertinent information about your coach, if you go to your settings etc., you find a section that allows you to put a signature on all of your posts. In that section, you can put your coach/make/model/year etc. so that, each and every time you post a question, that info will automatically be pasted at the bottom of your post. Take a look at many posts and you'll see what I mean. Good luck on your travels.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Fix for fuel starvation, "miss", hard starting.

I have a 99 HR Imperial that had the same problem. After two sets of fuel filters found the problem and a fix. My fuel system had a check valve that had some crud (looks like pieces of carbon) stuck in the valve. The fix is to remove the check valve and replace it with a piece of line. I have had no other fuel starvation problems after 7,000 miles.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:19 PM   #33
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Fuel and air are all that's needed for a diesel. As suggested I would start with the fuel filters. Make sure there is no obstruction for the air. It may be as simple as a filter. You may also have a problem with the ECM.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
It could be you have got a bad tank of fuel at your last fill up. It will definately cause clogged fuel filters, which in turn will cause your symtoms.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:59 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Did the issue get resolved? Would like to know if and how it got fixed.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Sometimes "algae" will clog up fuel filters. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #37

We had the dreaded algae plug our diesel filter, mainly the primary filter. I changed both filters and added a bottle of Startron diesel algae treatment. About $18 at a Napa dealer, but it treats 200 gallons per bottle. I dosed it good, and then did add another bottle after using 200 gallons of fuel. Worked great!

I add a bottle after filling up and just before putting the coach in storage for the winter.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:32 PM   #38

Well, surely, this guy is not still sitting on the side of the road 16 days later, so I guesss we'll never know what the cure was....
Old 05-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #39
Community Administrator

Dead on highway

Apparently there were two threads .
Here's their other one. We would have merged them had we known.

They're now merged.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My first towed was a 1992 Chevy Lumina.. It did much the same thing.

They replaced the ignition module.. Fuel pump had genuinely failed earlier

Turns out the problem was the electrical connector at the firewall but by the time we figured it out the decision to junk it had been made. Actually the mechanic never did figure it out.. But by process of elimination that is what it had to be.