Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2021, 08:55 PM   #1

Dealer additional offers with new coach buy: comments?

We just bought a new (2021 factory fresh) coach, and the dealer is offering (not pushing) the following added cost items. (I didn't put prices because I respect the dealer and what they have done for me). I just want to know about the value of the products. Anybody have any comments, answers to my questions, or feelings on these specific products chime in.

NATIONAL RV CARE GAS WRAP Extended Warranty
5 years / 50,000 miles/ $100 deductible
(I have a brochure but cannot find a URL for the company)
My Feelings: DECLINE
Reasons:
-I don’t see a high probability of major costs beyond the coach company and chassis company standard warranty coverage in the 5 yrs of this coverage.
-Im a serious do-it your self-er, have tools, and have done all repairs and preventative maintenance on our current motorhome for the 6 years we have owned it.
-The things that people complain about on this specific brand of coaches appear to not specifically mentioned in the covered item list. There is no exclusion list in the provided brochure so I assume if its not specifically listed, its NOT covered.
------
EASY CARE DRIVER CARE Tire and Wheel Road Hazard
5 years / $0 deductible
Im inclined to ACCEPT this, which appears to include Trip insurance (up to 3 days motel), Roadside assistance, and Towing. (It was not clear if it does actually include those items since not mentioned in the title of the dealer offering)
--------
ResistAll Interior Leather and Fabric Protection (5 year warrantied product)
Im inclined to ACCEPT. Wasn't too expensive. I want to keep the fabric in good shape. And we are spill-prone. But I am totally ignorant of this product. There are lots of reviews that say Scotch Gard applied by the owner is as good as anything. But it wasn't too expensive and I would like it to be treated as soon as possible. We will be camping on the way back from picking it up.
--------

ResistAll Exterior Paint Protection (5 year warrantied product)
Im inclined to DECLINE
My coach has special factory paint that pops and I want to keep it that way, including the fiberglass roof. But there are many negative reviews by owners that this doesn’t do anything except add dealer profit, and actual problems that people attempt to warranty aren’t covered. The manufacturer website doesn’t cover how it works or why it is good for a modern clear coat paint. I will rather find a service to do an annual cleaning and polish with a product approved for this motorhome brand clear coat. Also will keep it covered when not in use.

--------
Tyron Safety Bands (front two wheels) Includes an Emergency Roadside Tool Kit.
Im inclined to ACCEPT. . I have actually had a steering tire blowout with no problems controlling the coach (however, I was doing about 60mph). But the wheel rim was bent when it hit the pavement. I like this idea, but am concerned about getting any old RV/truck tire shop to replace the tires later. These bands have to be removed with a special tool (included in the offer), before the tire will come off. Also, I think the RETTROBAND is a better design, but they are not offered by my dealer.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2021, 09:07 PM   #2

I would pretty much do what you are thinking about with the possible exception of the Tyron Safety Bands. You seem to want the Rettrobands so I would skip the Tyrons and get what you want. Just my opinion, I'm absolutely positive others will disagree. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:13 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
AFAIC, anything but the tire road hazard is dealer fluff. There's all sorts of crap on the roads & even crap roads that can mess up a tire. With the exception of our last coach (which didn't own long enough to run over anything), seems every vehicle I've owned (including cars) has picked up something in the tread that the road hazard has taken care of.

Many will give a thumbs up to those bands. Personally, in 20 years of owning RV's & over 45 years of owning cars, I've never had a blow out so I see no need for them.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:16 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to agree with your choices. I have the Tyron band on my MH and it can be difficult to find a shop that knows how to take them off. It's either that or they don't want to accept the liability of changing tires with them in place. However I won't be taking them off.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 09:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I'm going to agree with your choices. I have the Tyron band on my MH and it can be difficult to find a shop that knows how to take them off. It's either that or they don't want to accept the liability of changing tires with them in place. However I won't be taking them off.
Dont the bands have to come off before the tire can be removed and replaced when its time? The tire bead cannot offset into the well of the wheel with the bands on. The tire cannot be stretched over the rim without one side falling down in the well.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:11 AM   #6

I personally would not accept any of the dealers offerings. They tend to be great profit centers for the dealer. If you have an interest in those addons, you can usually do better by buying them on your own after the sale. I have never been a fan of the extras that dealers like to promote. Not once in six new coaches did I have an expense that would have been close to what the cost would have been. I suspect the less than one in ten people get back more than their premium for any of the addons. The peace of mind from the TYron bands might be the exception.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:07 PM   #7

My opinion of all the dealer add-on is no way. But on our new Coach we did get a few items. That being said I gave the dealer a offer and then told them if you want to sell me a extended warranty that's fine. Then you then need lower the price of the MH that amount as I was not going a penny over my offer. They in turn made it work Extended warranty and Tyron bands.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I would agree with your opinions. I would pass on the fabric treat but you make a good case and if the cost isn’t much maybe. What your really buying is the warranty.
I also passed on the tyron bands. They aren’t cheap and a lot of roadside guys want nothing to do with them ( from conversations with them when I was working).
As an aside ... wasn’t it retro bands that had the install issues/ problems that they now only sell in house to make sure they are installed properly ? Might me an issue on road ... just sayin .. I have no idea
I have driven semis for years including cab overs when I first started and have had some blowouts. While certainly not pleasant experiences with power steering I never had a serious problem. the old timers that drove non power steering cab overs had front wheel blowouts that were hair raising lane changing events. I know of no large company that uses them. We had thousands of tractors nationwide and if it saved money you can bet they’d have em ... just my thinking.
Keep in mind the finance / closing office is a major profit center. Everything is marked up a bunch. It sounds like your dealer is being straight with you.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:39 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I personally would decline everything. But if you do decide to get any of them, I would definitely not finance that portion.

If there is something on the list you want, research it and get it afterwards. You'll save a bundle.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:35 PM   #10

Take a hard look at the road hazard details. Often, when you dive into it, they really don’t do anything except maybe change a spare. If you are in a class, A, no spare, then they tow you somewhere, maybe, and leave you. Take a look at Coach Net and their road hazard plan for comparison.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:41 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not big on aftermarket warranties, especially those that incorporate the factory warranty into their time frame.....why pay for something that is free.

The interior coating is a spray on and they gamble that you'll never come back with an issue. Most won't because it's rare that someone wears out the upholstery and makes a claim.

Many think the Tyron bands prevent flats.....they don't, their only purpose is to keep the tire carcass from coming off the rim. You can still have a blowout and still loose control. Their advantage is when you must continue to drive to a safe area to pull over, the tire won't come off the rim like you see in car pursuits, supposedly giving you more control over steering.

Years ago we bought the tire protection package. It was a great deal with a lot of benefits. I actually ended up with an unrepairable screw in the sidewall of a 22.5 tire. They replaced the tire for free. I recovered what I paid in one tire, but then they went out of business. That's an issue these days. Many companies go out of business as quickly as they start. With all the new RVer's these plans could easily be overwhelmed and go belly up.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
I would pretty much do what you are thinking about with the possible exception of the Tyron Safety Bands. You seem to want the Rettrobands so I would skip the Tyrons and get what you want. Just my opinion, I'm absolutely positive others will disagree. Good luck.

Some of the others have brought up a good point, you can probably find these services cheaper after the sale. Do your shopping and read the fine print.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:21 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
No to all for me.
I would just make sure I had a good road side assistance program (Coach net, FMCA).
For the most part everything is just extra profit for the dealer. If you really wanted something you probably can get it cheaper on the open market.
BTW congrats on the new rig.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:00 PM   #14

If you have any genuine leather in your coach you are one of a very few. The vast majority is imitation leather; ultra-leather is the top of the line imitation leather and lasts well, some cheaper stuff seems to begin to flake or peel after a few years if threads here are any indication.
I have no idea if aftermarket treatments like you posted are effective. I use leather treatment products every year from an auto store to clean and hopefully help preserve the finish.

I would pass on the Extended Service Contract for the first 5 years. Then if you do decide to purchase one, also get the gaskets and seals rider. Otherwise if an engine gasket fails, oil is lost resulting in engine damage the service contract does not pay any claim resulting from the failed gasket.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, offer