Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #15

We just bought a new '19 and got 33% off MSRP. 15% off MSRP used, lol. You can buy a brand new one cheaper. Good luck in your search.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #16

I just went through a fairly similar experience. Found a very nice unit online. First salesman was nice enough, but would not answer anything. 5 days and I didn't even have the dates on the tires or a trade-in price. Got a new salesman who was much more responsive to most of my questions, except once again, couldn't seem to get dates on the tires. He did provide the recent maintenance records, which were a "Good News - Bad News" story. Lots of maintenance done (almost $5 grand worth) but what I saw was that things were done because they had been let go too long and were failing vs being on a normal maintenance schedule. In addition the price was too high compared to market conditions, especially considering maintenance risk, and they wouldn't come down anymore, so that was it. We walked.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:20 PM   #17

Mid Atlantic Campers
It just surprised me that with the 2019's around the corner, he'd want to keep a 17 sitting on his lot. His loss. Told him we were going to look elsewhere, he tried to offer a 'deal' on anothe coach, not even the same make or model. Weird.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #18

I see from the writeup, this is a USED coach.......not knowing the asking price, the price probably is at a discount already.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #19

We recently upgraded to our first Class A and ran into similar issues with local dealers and used coaches. They were unwilling to even entertain offers on 2017 used model and were asking between slightly less than a brand new coach. Even when confronted with that info we got no movement. We ended up finding what we wanted in Texas and got La Mesa to match the price closer to home on a new coach. We tried to buy a couple of used ones but found that the prices offered and interest rates on new ones made new a better option for us with the floorplan my wife wanted.

I would walk from them and look elsewhere as well. They make a lot of motorhomes and there is bound to be another one right around the corner.

Good luck
hicksey75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #20

Sounds like he’s got too much money in this trade in. The percentage is all relative to the trade in allowance the other buyer received.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Perhaps he picked up on the fact that your wife really wants that RV, so he doesnt feel the need to negotiate.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Idiot sales folks are a dime a dozen. Seems they have lost the art of customer service. We had a similar incident with a large RV dealer when we were shopping for our new coach. In fact he would not even give me a quote until I gave him my credit card number (so we could put a deposit down). Told them no thanks and did send him a picture of our new coach that we then bought elsewhere.

In your case. Walk away and keep looking. You will find what you want and with someone you can deal with. There are a lot of coaches out there.

Good luck
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Perhaps he picked up on the fact that your wife really wants that RV, so he doesn't feel the need to negotiate.
I always tell my wife, NEVER in the presence of the sales person say you have to have this RV....

All 4 RV's (RV trailers) we have gone to buy new, were never at the dealer we made the decision that (THIS IS THE ONE). Three were dealers 20 miles away. They would not budge. Only bought 1 of 4 local. The other three we drove 90, 125 and 2300 miles.

Are you dealing with a small dealership? Dealing with only the sales person or the Dealers GM?

Being a used RV your looking for, your very limited if you are only settling on one floorplan and brand.

Hold your ground.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #24

My response to treatment like that is to inquire which of their competitors would they recommend I take my business to?

A handwritten letter to the owner/manager should also follow. Be sure to mention IRV2.com and direct him to this thread if you choose to mention the dealership's name and business location.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:28 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I’m curious , Is the 15% off MSRP based on the original new sticker price or since the coach is Used, off the “asking” price for the used coach.
Many dealers price used coaches closer to real sales numbers and not the 30% +markup new ones are.
The only other legit way would be if there’s a trade involved and they give you close to retail on the trade but mark up the new purchase. They do that all the time to get people out from under the old upside down rig.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
When a used coach is marked at a couple thousand under original MSRP there is an issue. We got the Vin and I had the info pulled by the manufacturer so we know the options and the cost. I even pulled the 2017 build sheet to make sure there wasn't anything funny going on.

Second I never met or spoke with the guy (me being the 'wife'). We don't have to have anything lol, would we have liked that coach? Of course, but life doesn't end if we don't get it, there will be others

I'm big on due diligence and research. When it's meant to happen it will.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I’m curious , Is the 15% off MSRP based on the original new sticker price or since the coach is Used, off the “asking” price for the used coach.
Many dealers price used coaches closer to real sales numbers and not the 30% +markup new ones are.
The only other legit way would be if there’s a trade involved and they give you close to retail on the trade but mark up the new purchase. They do that all the time to get people out from under the old upside down rig.
Yep; my question as well.

MSRP? or Bluebook retail. Not the same thing.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:37 PM   #28

Mid Atlantic Campers
MSRP

Tags
dealer