Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Dealer won't budge

We found a used 2017 coach, the dealer's website price is not even 15% off MSRP. We made an offer and he said no, no counter offer or anything. Just can't do it. Is that normal?

He got kinda pissy when we sent a list of questions about being there for the PDI, he said we do it before you arrive. That didn't sit well with me because I want to see them do it and go over the stuff with us. He also refused to answer questions about recalls and if they had been completed. AND when we asked for it to be put in writing that the deposit was refundable if there was an issue he totally ignored us. Dh really wanted that coach but I'm feeling like we need to look elsewhere.

Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 11:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You should listen to that voice in your head. It sounds like the dealer doesn't want to sell the coach to you under your conditions--walk away
Old 08-07-2018, 11:22 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
You should listen to that voice in your head. It sounds like the dealer doesn't want to sell the coach to you under your conditions--walk away

XX2 Walk away
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Walk away.
Spend sometime on RVTrader.com and RVT.com searching for the year, make, and model you like. Search nationwide, and then rank order by price, lowest first. You will find a huge variance in pricing.
Some of these dealers are in the old "used car sales" mode and they do not like selling to an educated buyer.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #5

Run!
Jerrilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #6
WDW

Move on. It’s not a company I would choose to do business with.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #7

If this is how dealer acts before he has taken your monies just think how he will respond once he has your monies.

NEVER fall in Love with any vehicle ...there are way too many others available

No need to walk or run..just loose that dealers number and don't go back
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Is it "normal"? I would say, "not unusual". He doesn't need your business enough to concede to your demands, so he chooses not to do business on your terms. You can agree to do it his way or walk. Your call. Does he have something you really need, like the only rig like that within a reasonable distance? Or a stellar reputation for ethics or service? If not, just shop elsewhere. Just be aware that he probably won't provide warranty service for you either if you buy elsewhere.

Personally, I would rather have a dealer with high standards for prep and service than to squeeze the last dollar from the price. This guy may or may not fit that bill, though.

Also, the term "PDI" (Pre-Delivery Inspection) gets used rather broadly among shoppers and owners. Technically, it is part of the dealer prep, just like this guy says. You, the buyer, get a "walk-thru" to verify that the rig is ready for delivery. You might get a better reception if you discuss with him how the walk-thru will be done, i.e. what you want to see demonstrated to your satisfaction. I kind of expect he won't want to do much of that either, but it's worth a try.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:52 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I send a nice note to the Dealer:

"Thank you for your time. It appears you're dealership is to busy to address our concerns and questions, so we've decided to look at other dealers who have more time to work with us."
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #10

Most dealers take about 25% to 30% off a new vehicle. There may be some new 2017's and many 2018's still out there and with the 2019 just around the corner you should pass on this one and keep looking. You may find a new one for less than this used one.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:12 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds like you're being an excellent "help meet" [mod edit] to DH in protecting him! You're suspicion is probably very well grounded in your desire to protect DH. I recognize the same in my DW, and will tell her to do the actual negotiating while I sit, listen and comment on the technical aspects of the conversation. This allows me to not be consumed by my desire for the touchy-feely things, while whoever we're dealing with will pick up that the DW can't be snowed jobbed. As others have said, listen to the inner voice, and keep looking out for DH .

EDIT: BTW, less than 15% off MSRP for a used 2017 just does not sound normal to me, how is this guy staying in business?!?!?!
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws2 View Post
We found a used 2017 coach, the dealer's website price is not even 15% off MSRP. We made an offer and he said no, no counter offer or anything. Just can't do it. Is that normal?

He got kinda pissy when we sent a list of questions about being there for the PDI, he said we do it before you arrive. That didn't sit well with me because I want to see them do it and go over the stuff with us. He also refused to answer questions about recalls and if they had been completed. AND when we asked for it to be put in writing that the deposit was refundable if there was an issue he totally ignored us. Dh really wanted that coach but I'm feeling like we need to look elsewhere.

Thoughts?
You should definitely look elsewhere. If the guy treats you this way before he gets your money think how he will treat you after he gets your money.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #13

Yes...don't walk. ..RUN
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:38 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers

Since we are buying out of state, I want to be there when it's pre-inspected and it will be that way for any coach we buy.
I've been reading these forums for YEARS and educating myself on every aspect of sales, dealers, and buying used over new. Y'all are the absolute best!!!

Angie

Tags
dealer