Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2018, 08:47 AM   #1

Dealerships, Buying Used Class A DP

Hello,
I've been searching for a used Newmar Mountain Aire and found one at a Newmar dealership. I emailed them asking if the fluids have been changed because I would like to get a sample for testing, if I like the coach. A sales person emailed me back saying they don't know if they changed the fluids, but I can take a sample. (I live 900 miles from them and I let them know that.) I asked do they test samples when they take in a used DP and they said no. They said they do inspect the MH so I asked for the results of their inspection. They emailed back saying they do not inspect it until it's sold.

Is this normally how dealerships sell used DPs?

They did tell me the rear tires were eight years old and the front ones were seven. They said the batteries have to be replaced and they would do that. It was supposedly owned by a doctor and only used to head south for the winter. (At least they didn't say it was owned by an elderly lady who only drove it to church once a week.) There's no NRVIA inspector within several hundred miles of the dealership, per the NRVIA website.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2018, 09:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ever heard of Caveat Emptor? Maybe google it. Even the early Romans knew this:
First, believe nothing of what the dealer, or anyone making money from this deal, has to say about this deal. This dealer is not your friend, he will lie, cheat and steal to get his commission and could not possibly care less about you after you leave his dealership.
Verify everything. How old are the tires and are they right for this rig in size and load carrying ability. How old are the batteries, right size and type? Does it look like the previous owner took care of the little things, because if he didn't, he likely didn't take care of he big things very well either.
Read everything! Do not be in a hurry to sign anything. Take it home and read it if necessary.
900 miles, if you are not willing to travel it several times to do this deal, is a killer. My advice is either make the trip several times or forget it. Don't trust this dealer unless you been eating Thanksgiving Dinner across the table from him every year for the past decade.
Cavet Emptor, it's the first rule of business. This is business, nothing personal here.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
PS. Where is this rig. iRV2 people are e v e r y w h e r e.........
If it's in the SLC area, maybe I could go have a first look for you. But you are still the buyer, you still own your decision.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:27 AM   #4

Best bet is for you is to see that MH in person. What's an airline ticket compared to a half-mil MH.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #5

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
Can you hire an independent inspector to vet the MH and do fluid tests?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #6

Where are you in South Dakota and where is the Newmar dealer? Someone on here could help with the initial once over Look & See for you. But then it's up to you to decide to see for yourself or keep looking. There are some good trustworthy dealers out there. I have one and I'm sure he's not the only one.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The reason people buy from dealers is usually for
financing. Dealers will find a way to finance anyone.
You sometimes can get extended warranties, or at least

a 30 warranty on some of the unit.

If you decide to buy from the dealer, get everything in WRITING.
Do not take a salesmans word for anything. Deal on a FULL
service, check tire dates ON THE TIRES.
If equipped with Aquahot have it serviced by a qualified service
shop, not just at the dealership. They have 18 year old kids

doing a lot of stuff.
If you are really serious about the coach, take the time to ask all
your questions via email and then take the emails with you when
you go to look at it.

Good Luck and do not be afraid to walk away.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:47 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
A guy was selling a collectable item near me once and I posted about it on my favorite forum. An internet "friend" I met on a forum 1000 miles away asked me to go look at it and let me know if it is OK. I did and told him it looked good to me. He said, "Great, I'll send you the money. Buy it and you can ship it to me."

I agreed. I "knew" him from the forum. He was a good guy.

I bought the item and went to the trouble to ship it to him. He emailed the day he got it. Mad. It wasn't what he thought it was. I missed something important that he never mentioned. And from then on he was mad at me. I was mad at him. And, it ruined the forum that I really loved.

If you want to see an RV 900 miles away you better be ready to travel or let that one go. Don't expect anyone else to do your own inspection.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:28 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with getting an oil sample. When I was in Washington state campgrounds the guy next to me had most the stuff out his motorhome on the ground next to it. After talking to him for while he said he was trading in his diesel motorhome since was getting oil sample with real high metal content.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:52 PM   #10

Thank you

I'm not asking anyone to go check the DP out. I was asking do dealers normally not do a fluid sample to see what kind of shape their vehicle is in? Do they normally change the fluids before listing the vehicle?

I was floored that the salesperson wouldn't even check to see if they had the fluids changed. He's already gave me the age of the tires and said the batteries have to be replaced. It's a 2004 Mountain Aire, 4302.

I'm currently in Ohio. Maybe near the end of the month if they still have it, I'll go out and see for myself.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:14 PM   #11

Many NRVIA inspectors are also full time RV'ers so their location on the inspector locator may not match their actual location. If there are none listed within a couple of hundred miles of the RV it may be worth sending an email to Stephanie using the contact info NRVIA.org and she will send an email blast out to all of the NRVIA inspectors asking if anyone is in the area with your contact information.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:19 AM   #12

I doubt any dealer is going to do an oil, coolant, or tranny sample and send it for testing. What possible advantage is it to them? That's the buyers responsibility. Besides if they did send samples in, would you believe the results? They aren't going to show them to you if they are bad.
And honestly I would be surprised if the dealer would allow you to take samples.

If I were you I would try and find a coach closer to home. However I understand you're desire to get the exact coach you want and that may not be around the corner. One irv2 member offered to look at it for you, I would take them up on that offer. If you decide to view this coach do as much research as you can. Pull a car fax on it and ask the dealer who the previous owner was. They probably won't tell but I would try and research with the VIN and get as much info as I could before taking the time to drive 900 miles.

Like others have said, buyer beware, the dealer is not your friend and some dealers will do anything to sell you their stock including telling you a bold face lie.

You might also consider buying from a private seller. I did and the seller allowed me to take all fluid samples and have the chassis and house inspected. Something most dealers probably would not allow.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi RVGlen. I was in a similar situation 4 years ago, but only about 300 mi away. I made 3 trips. I would think you could hire any truck inspection service, not necessarily an RV service for the drive train. If not, it's going to require a minimum of two trips or a long stay for you if you want to get the results of the samples before purchase. I took the wife with me and took samples of the Cummins, Allison, and Onan on the 2nd trip. Then I signed a contingency contract with a small deposit and waited until the results came in before we took delivery. Drive it around for about 30 minutes and run the generator before you take samples. You can acquire sample kits from JG Lubricants and a few others.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I doubt any dealer is going to do an oil, coolant, or tranny sample and send it for testing. What possible advantage is it to them? That's the buyers responsibility. Besides if they did send samples in, would you believe the results? They aren't going to show them to you if they are bad.
And honestly I would be surprised if the dealer would allow you to take samples.

If I were you I would try and find a coach closer to home. However I understand you're desire to get the exact coach you want and that may not be around the corner. One irv2 member offered to look at it for you, I would take them up on that offer. If you decide to view this coach do as much research as you can. Pull a car fax on it and ask the dealer who the previous owner was. They probably won't tell but I would try and research with the VIN and get as much info as I could before taking the time to drive 900 miles.

Like others have said, buyer beware, the dealer is not your friend and some dealers will do anything to sell you their stock including telling you a bold face lie.

You might also consider buying from a private seller. I did and the seller allowed me to take all fluid samples and have the chassis and house inspected. Something most dealers probably would not allow.
When we make our decision about which type of MH we want (DP or 5th wheel) I’ll be in the market for a used DP. If the seller (private or dealer) won’t allow me to take fluid samples or have the coach inspected on my own dime they won’t be earning my business...
Tenacvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, class a, dealer