Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #15

Get the book. Big Rig RV parks.
jrs1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #16

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we enter any campground we ask for site number. then one of us takes the TOAD and goes and looks at the site. If it appears it is ok, we then take the progressive industries portable box and check the electrical, if everything Ok we go back to office and finish checking in. Nothing worse than checking in and finding you can't get to site. Safe travels ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Post a review on Tripadvisor! I used this website extensively a few weeks back planning a 2 week motorcycle trip to Yellowstone, Sturgis, Devils Tower etc.

The reviews helped tremendously picking out acceptable motels along the way. When we got back I posted my own reviews of the places we stayed.

The one place that we didn't like got a negative review and within 1 day the owner posted a rebuttal, so I know owners - operators read this stuff. If they get enough bad reviews maybe they'll fix some of these problems.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #18

Wow I hope they dont make the FL state parks big rig friendly. You guys want a landing strip for each lot. Kinda ruins the whole nature thing in my book.

Last month was at Florida's Myakka River State park. Gorgeous park! Great wide private spots nestled into the natural Live Oaks! Wow! The main road trees left air plants on my rig at 13'. being whacked back to 16' would have ruined the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1588.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	44593  
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
This is the "Big rig friendly" site we had on our overnight stop, on the way to Williamsburg VA. (Greensboro Campground, Greensboro NC)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Greensboro Campground.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	44594  
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #20

......but there's a landing strip right next to you.

I'm sorry maybe one day I'll be there right next to you. But today I prefer tucked in the woods

This pic is also at Myakka and lots of room, but not 16 feet clear all around.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC1550.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	44595  
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe
This is the "Big rig friendly" site we had on our overnight stop, on the way to Williamsburg VA. (Greensboro Campground, Greensboro NC)
How far off the ground are the wheels? That's certainly not what I call friendly, big or otherwise.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
Wow I hope they dont make the FL state parks big rig friendly. You guys want a landing strip for each lot. Kinda ruins the whole nature thing in my book.

Last month was at Florida's Myakka River State park. Gorgeous park! Great wide private spots nestled into the natural Live Oaks! Wow! The main road trees left air plants on my rig at 13'. being whacked back to 16' would have ruined the road.
Actually .... I'm kinda' feeling the same way. However, I have a 1997 37' Endeavor. I try not to scratch it but it isn't a disaster. And yes ... I frequent Florida State Parks. I reserve a site based on the dimensions and pictures at the website. As mentioned, you can't tell about the roads.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat View Post
Post a review on Tripadvisor! I used this website extensively a few weeks back planning a 2 week motorcycle trip to Yellowstone, Sturgis, Devils Tower etc.

The reviews helped tremendously picking out acceptable motels along the way. When we got back I posted my own reviews of the places we stayed.

The one place that we didn't like got a negative review and within 1 day the owner posted a rebuttal, so I know owners - operators read this stuff. If they get enough bad reviews maybe they'll fix some of these problems.
Yes, please post reviews on RV Park reviews and Yelp as well. We rely heavily on these websites as well as google earth to choose where we stay, and we faithfully post reviews on these sites after each stay. Sharing experiences both good and bad help us all.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

How far off the ground are the wheels? That's certainly not what I call friendly, big or otherwise.
Haha!
If they were all perfect I would not carry my leveling assistance system (AKA lumber).
When ya camp, ya gotta improvise, adapt, succeed in spite of adversity!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven

Haha!
If they were all perfect I would not carry my leveling assistance system (AKA lumber).
When ya camp, ya gotta improvise, adapt, succeed in spite of adversity!
That's why I asked - lol - it looks to be about a foot high on the drivers side. Trying to figure out how much lumber I'm going to need. I appear to be short a 1/2 foot on either side.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post

That's why I asked - lol - it looks to be about a foot high on the drivers side. Trying to figure out how much lumber I'm going to need. I appear to be short a 1/2 foot on either side.
Yep. I figger about 10K lbs on each front pad there. Woof!

I have been in spots where my 4 inch "system" was a tad short. So we lean a bit for one night. No biggie. No bowling in the basement that night.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I had about 3.5" under the jacks.

We have the "Big Rigs" book. Sometimes your options are very limited.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post

I don't want to see the campgrounds get cut up. In my case it's the private RV parks I refer to.

Most were built back before big motorhomes with slide outs on both sides but they still want to sell spots to us.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote