Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2019, 06:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
The ISB is a great “little” engine that will not come with a 3000 tranny...a ISC will. The same HP ISC will have 50% more torque than the ISB...1100+ ftlbs. A 3000 tranny can only handle 1200ftlbs so a ISL has a flat torque curve from 1100 to 1500 rpms. The answer to your question is none of your list.
A couple of corrections here. 1/ In the 90's there were some motorhomes with the 5.9 cummins that also had the 3000 Allison. My 96 Discovery was one of them. 275 hp but only a 3500# towing capacity. 2/ The 3000 Allison can handle 1250# of torque which is just what the 8.9 liter 450 ISL produces.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2019, 06:48 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
My spidey senses are indicating that “new/newer” may be taking priority over DP. This goes against the title of the thread. Where are you on this decision? Gasser and DP are 2 different animals.

You can take a 2 week trip and a few weekend trips in just about anything. If you want to tow a 5Klb toad you should be looking at coaches with a towing capacity between 7500-10,000lbs. That feature will help lead you to the appropriate power train.

$200K will get you a 10 year old coach that may have sold for $500-750K. Comparing that to new is like comparing a Bentley to a, insert mainstream sedan here.

The 1 1/2 bath will really limit your choices given your sub-40’ condition.
Your senses weren’t that far off, but I was leaning towards an entry level DP, seen a few in the $150-$175k range. As advice came in though, that direction began to change. I really don’t want to drop the $ into something only to learn we need/want something different. I’m still on the DP path, but opening the search up to 10+ yo quality rigs. Of the wants, the #1 is the ability to tow the Jeep, the rest a we can do without if we can’t find it all.
MidMichHunte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:22 PM   #31

You'll spend most of your time in the coach, not driving it. Floorplan matters. Take your time, there are plenty of motorhomes out there for sale. Forget the 10 year rule, it all depends on condition. Shop around, you can find an older quality coach for around 150k, built rock solid and in good condition. The new ones break just as much as older coaches, don't let that get in your way. From what I've seen, the new ones fall apart more. People sell for all sorts of reasons, not always because the coach is a lemon. We bought used with little background on the history of the coach. Found some issues, but it gives me the chance to deal with issues and then I know the coach. Biggest complaint is the lack of quality workmanship at the repair shops. Buy newer if you want, but you're going to have problems just like everyone does. Just my 2 cents, but if you can find something built in Coburg, OR back in the day, you'll have a pretty nice coach for way less than your budget.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
45 ft., tag axle, ISM500
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #32

We have a 2014 Wrangler JKU Rubicon. Has a hard top, It’s lifted, has Rock hard steel bumpers etc. all of that adds weight. We’re towing it fine with our 37’ Fleetwood. It has a ISB 6.7L 340HP with a 2500MH Allison. Fine means different things to different people. We are able to pass most trucks going up 6% grades, we’re certainly not setting speed records doing it, but it’s certainly way better than our F10 was able to do. Would we like a 400hp, sure, but I sure like that extra money in my savings account
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:13 AM   #33

Our coach has a 340 hp diesel with a 2500 transmission. The towing capacity is limited to 5000 lbs, which in turn limits our toad options. Our engine size is fine, just wish the transmission was larger. We do get great fuel mileage and have plenty of power.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:49 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
OPs list was newer ISBs and you will not find one with a 3000 tranny. YES, on older rigs a 3000 was used...before the cheaper 2500 was developed.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:12 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsChilerick View Post
We have a 2014 Wrangler JKU Rubicon. Has a hard top, It’s lifted, has Rock hard steel bumpers etc. all of that adds weight. We’re towing it fine with our 37’ Fleetwood. It has a ISB 6.7L 340HP with a 2500MH Allison. Fine means different things to different people. We are able to pass most trucks going up 6% grades, we’re certainly not setting speed records doing it, but it’s certainly way better than our F10 was able to do. Would we like a 400hp, sure, but I sure like that extra money in my savings account

Thanks for posting this as our toads are similar, we have a 2013 Wrangle Unlimited (JKU) Hard top lifted with 35s and a heavy bumper with a Warne winch. The add-ons do add to the weight. I want to find the right engine/Trans/Floor plan combo that fits us. Doesn't have to be the fastest up the hills, but I want to be at least in the upper half while being safe & comfortable.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:20 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
OPs list was newer ISBs and you will not find one with a 3000 tranny. YES, on older rigs a 3000 was used...before the cheaper 2500 was developed.

IvyLog is correct, all the specs I posted were directly from the manufacturer's website on 2019 models. I've opened up my search to include 10 +/- Rigs with an ISB/C/L & 3000 Trans. At this point not much is off the table...
Old 05-29-2019, 06:29 AM   #37
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Don't sweat the model or engine unless it is on the no fly list (Maxx Force) Most important is layout and how it will fill you needs. It isn't like a family car that is driven everyday then left in the driveway at night. Most of your time will be spent living in it not driving it. Once you have found a layout combination you both like then look for layouts with the drivetrain combo you like.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 07:14 AM   #38

There is one thing I haven't seen mentioned. It may not be practical or possible for you but I would look at the possibility of putting an extension on your pole barn to accommodate something a little bigger. With a few more feet there are a lot more floor plans to choose from. Also, for me at least, I would go with an older QUALITY coach to get away from the EPA junk. I bought a low mileage (30,000) 2005 Monaco last year with brand new tires and batteries for less than $80k. Did have to spend a little on new shades and getting rid of carpet.
Rob Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #39

The isb engine is not wet sleeved so it is harder to damage from corrosion if a previous owner screwed up maintaining the coolant. The newer wet sleeved engines frequently have coolants good for 5 years.

IF you can find an old MH with a single owner and good maintenance records that would be ideal. Replacing corrosion damaged sleeves in an engine could cost tens of thousands of dollars
dandandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Only true if you consider a 2013 old???
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:09 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Get this one and keep 125k in your pocket.

http://premiumcoachgroup.com/product...-double-slide/
I saw that one too and wondered if they left a 1 off in front of those 9s
scasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by scasteel View Post
I saw that one too and wondered if they left a 1 off in front of those 9s
Newells in that era, are great deals, DD Series 60 diesel, Allison 4000 transmission, Aqua-hot, massive fuel, water, grey/black water tanks, 6 8D house batteries etc. Most are custom made, so may have heated marble floors, king beds, or anything else the original owner ordered. Probably the best non-prevost conversion coach of any year you can buy. New ones start at $1.9 million.

Tags
engine