Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2020, 06:56 PM   #1

Deductible interest?

Can someone BS check me? A sales guy told me if we buy a class a new we can deduct 100% of the loan interest as a second home, but that we cannot if we buy used. Called it a ‘millionaire exception’?

I smell shenanigans but wanted to ask experts.
MichaelInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I'm not a tax expert, but I don't believe there is any difference in the deduct-ability of interest for new vs used. I believe, assuming you have enough deductions to meet the itemization threshold, you can deduct the interest on any RV as a second home.

This would apply to Class A, Class B, Class C, travel trailers and fifth wheels, but not to the tow vehicles for trailers.

For the real answer, seek the advice of a tax professional. However, I think the salesman is full of something...
Old 09-07-2020, 07:25 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Your BS detector is working. If you can itemize on Schedule A, or what ever form in use to deduct mortgage interest, you can. The MH/TT/5er is considered a 2nd home for the deduction. Does not matter new or used. (I am an enrolled agent, retired IRS).
Tax_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:35 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New or used doesn't matter...
Salesman...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Never believe the salesperson. They don't know what they're talking about 101% of the time.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
So he sells you a rig with a 20 year note that you can deduct the interest on, but they won't service after 10 years and you'll be upside down when you walk out the door.

Deduction is nice -IF you can use it. Make a big down payment and a short term note, and at least you won't have to pay to get out of it later. (Cash is even better)
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Yeah, used or new doesn't make a difference, it's still deductible.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:05 PM   #8

In order to deduct 2nd home (or RV) interest you MUST file schedule A and itemize your deductions. A few years ago with some tax changes it became less advantageous to do this and roughly 90% of people currently DON'T itemize. I'm not sure what the previous mark was but I think it was a lot higher.

Here's some info: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/schedulea.asp
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:22 PM   #9

He may have been making the distinction between a secured loan versus a personal loan. Sometimes, secured loans on a used RV are more difficult to find a lender and must be done through a personal loan. A personal loan is not deductible where a secured loan would be. If the dealership is arranging financing, it will definitely be a secured loan.

But I'm just guessing that he may have been making that distinction. I'm with others who are offering that the vast majority of salesman will be feeding you BS of some type.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:25 PM   #10

I think the only stipulation is you need to spend a minimum of 21 days a year in it.
Old 09-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
In order to deduct 2nd home (or RV) interest you MUST file schedule A and itemize your deductions. A few years ago with some tax changes it became less advantageous to do this and roughly 90% of people currently DON'T itemize. I'm not sure what the previous mark was but I think it was a lot higher.

Here's some info: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/schedulea.asp
YUp, It's almost impossible if you have health insurance or major expenses, as that is the biggest item to qualify you for itemizing your federal taxes. If you don't itemize your federal you can't itemize state taxes either where I live.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #12

it's been stated several times already. but this statement is true only if you itemize your deductions! if you take the newly increased standard deduction then this is not even a factor. new or used is not a factor.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #13

As for the IRS, as long as it has a Kitchen, Bath, and Sleeping area the interest is deductible no matter if new or used.
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:11 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
I think the only stipulation is you need to spend a minimum of 21 days a year in it.
That is not a requirement. It does have to have a kitchen, bath and sleeping space as stated above.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote