Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #15

Is this at every station or just a particular one ? The reason I ask is there is a station in S. Florida that will not accept my card, even though it works everywhere else. I have talked with PFJ customer service and they "checked it out" and could not find a reason why it doesn't work at this one station. It has never worked there either. I just told them I'd go elsewhere as I also don't want to make multiple trips into a crowded store and wait at the long line art the register.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I can buy Diesel fine with myPilot card but to buy DEF I have to go inside and swipe. It has never worked at the pump for me (for DEF).
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Personally, I think some make too big of a deal about DEF. Jut about every RV with DEF can do nearly 5000 miles on a tank of DEF. We travel a fair amount per year and do 11K-12K miles. I buy DEF when I'm in Walmart, bring it home and fill the tank at my leisure.

We stay away from truck stops like the plague, so in the past 3.5 years, I've only seen DEF at the pump 3 times. Only twice did I use it, once on a coast to coast trip where I refilled two empty DEF tanks.

It's just not that big of an issue. Today, we were at Walmart doing some shopping and I grabbed two containers. Yes, it weighs about 20 pounds, but I don't haul it out on my back or over my shoulder....I use a shopping cart! Over the next week, when I'm in the mood, I'll add it to my tank. If you don't like lifting it, put a short stool near your fill and rest the jug on the stool.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:02 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I also learned at Camp Freightliner that even if you hit empty you can drive another 1000 miles but once you turn the engine off you’re done. Since then I am less concerned about tank level and don’t keep it full as part of my OCD therapist.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Does anyone have some sort of actual or, definitive mileage that a DEF tank will last say, before completely empty? Now, before anyone get's all onry and start yelling about NOT RUNNING OUT, that's not the plan. I don't even have or need DEF in our '04 C-7 330HP CAT. A friend of mine just purchased a 2014 American Revolution with the ISL 450HP Cummins and, we flew back to Ohio to pick it up. We had to drive to Lake Havasu City for home. About 2100 miles in 52 hours, wow.

Anyway, we started with 3/4 of a tank of DEF and a full tank of fuel. About 1/2 way through the trip, we purchased some more DEF. I put in, (2) 2.5 gal containers of DEF into the DEF tank. That gave us a full tank. But, by the time we got home, it was down to about 3/4, maybe a bit less. And, based on the fact that the containers are 2.5 gallons and how many we added at a given time and, what was in tank when we added them, I'm assuming the tank is a 20 gallon tank. Is that what most of you have? Just trying to get a handle on how long 20 gallons should last so that, we (or he) can judge when it might be time to stock up.
Scott
Its never the same, it depends on how you drive, lightly loaded vs heavy, and when your computer thinks its time to regenerate.

The numbers you get from folks that have taken the time to observe their actual usage is the best source for an average, (real world numbers).

dtw
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #20

I consistently get right around 2% consumption rate on def in an ISB 340. The tank is the most common motorhome tank, 13 gallons.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Personally, I think some make too big of a deal about DEF. Jut about every RV with DEF can do nearly 5000 miles on a tank of DEF. We travel a fair amount per year and do 11K-12K miles. I buy DEF when I'm in Walmart, bring it home and fill the tank at my leisure.

We stay away from truck stops like the plague, so in the past 3.5 years, I've only seen DEF at the pump 3 times. Only twice did I use it, once on a coast to coast trip where I refilled two empty DEF tanks.

It's just not that big of an issue. Today, we were at Walmart doing some shopping and I grabbed two containers. Yes, it weighs about 20 pounds, but I don't haul it out on my back or over my shoulder....I use a shopping cart! Over the next week, when I'm in the mood, I'll add it to my tank. If you don't like lifting it, put a short stool near your fill and rest the jug on the stool.

We use about 1/4 tank of DEF for 1/2 tank of diesel. With 5.5 to 6.5mpg and a 150gal diesel tank that is around 1800mi.
I use same rule for DEF and diesel fill around 1/2 tank so DEF every other stop. I do keep a jug of DEF JIC. Speaking of which what is proper way to dispose of old DEF?

To the op. Ignore my DEF usage as all I have read the 450hp engine sips a lot less DEF than my 600hp one.

Tom
Old 11-21-2017, 06:33 PM   #22

I've not had any problems getting DEF at Loves. That said, I always carry 2.5 gallons. Walmart or Buccees are the best prices.
texoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #23

I fill my diesel fuel on the drivers side as a separate transaction and then pull forward to fill the DEF at the rear of my rig swiping my card a second time. Once I was not able to get the pump to work for the DEF. The customer service guy came out and found out that the last person who used the DEF hose did not replace the nosel correctly. After pulling it out and replacing it everything worked ok.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:20 PM   #24

I almost exclusively buy DEF at the pump. Cheaper and more convenient. On the pick up usually buy a 2 1/2 gal at Sams Club since I don't tow much anymore and therefor don't use that much. I pump fuel then wife is at the wheel and pulls up to DEF tank at rear as I get out the hose, never had to restart yet.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
Not sure this is it, but some of the DEF pumps require a magnet to work

Tried the magnet 12/19/17. Did not work.
dh5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 12:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Circular magnetic. Buy at eBay 14.50 or
Mfgr: Five Star DEF solutions. Part: DEF Magnevator

Tried. Failed.
dh5185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:16 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The magnet is for pumping DEF into other containers than the tank at the engine. It does work there. Without it the pump clicks off after 1 sec. It also has to be orientated correctly, read or get directions.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #28

I thought the DEF thing would be an issue but it has turned into a nothing. I pull an 8500# trailer at 63 mph. That just seems like a comfortable speed. The 450 ISL uses so little DEF that I almost forget about it. My tank is on the passenger side, so is less convenient to fill unless the lane next to me is empty. Then my Pilot card works every time. I carry a 2 1/2 gallon jug just in case it gets too low. My son's Newell uses over twice what mine does, so he has to be more aware of it. However, his fuel fill is back near the drive and tag axles next to the def tank and can all be done at one stop. He even has a camera that tells him when he is positioned just right. He has never had a problem with the card that I'm aware of.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote