Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2022, 06:17 AM   #1

DEF Gauge Malfunction

I've been looking at the thread on the DEF sensor problems. That being said, it doesn't really address my issue. My DEF gauge says that my DEF tank is about 3/8's full. It seems that his just might be a situation that the float is stuck. I can't find anything on u tube to show how to "unstick" the float. I know for a fact it is full. The gauge is "stuck" at 3/8. I've got time to get it in for repair, but if it is "stuck" at 3/8, is there a risk the limiter will kick in? Or will the limiter stay off? Is this more likely a "sensor" problem? Or a float problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2022, 06:47 AM   #2

DEF Gauge Malfunction

On my previous unit, the float would periodically stick (i presumed due to the formation ofcrystals), but would unstick with time. Give it time, and drive over some not so smooth roads to try to unstick it

I doubt the engine would go to crawl mode … itwill just go on thinking it has a 3/8 full tank
Old 07-30-2022, 07:26 AM   #3

DEF gauge malfunction

Thanks for that info. It's a little scary reading all the horror stories about problems with DEF sensors. I tend to agree that the since the sensor is reading 3/8, the system might be "fooled" into believing there is DEF in the tank and just keep going. I did speak with the service company. Without evaluating, they don't think the problem is serious. I'm also thinking of buying a spare sensor....just in case.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:00 PM   #4

The problem will probably get worse, ask me how I know. Mine would read empty then a few miles further would read full, then empty and on and on. I know it was full as I filled it before the trip and gauge went crazy about 100 miles after start of trip, then went to 5 mph on Interstate. EPA thinks this is safe! EPA requiring something that appartently nobody knows how to manufacture reliabily.
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
The problem will probably get worse, ask me how I know. Mine would read empty then a few miles further would read full, then empty and on and on. I know it was full as I filled it before the trip and gauge went crazy about 100 miles after start of trip, then went to 5 mph on Interstate. EPA thinks this is safe! EPA requiring something that appartently nobody knows how to manufacture reliabily.

Its a mechanical system. One of many on a big box bouncing down the road. Mechanical systems can fail … and one out of lord knows how many on the road failing does not mean they are all bad, nor that nobody knows how to manufacture them.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:23 AM   #6

Yes, it is mechanical and could be made more reliable, the system is also electronic as well. System should be designed with a overide for safety so one can get to a repair shop safely. I have talked to a number of OTR truck drivers trying to make a living and have the same problem. EPA could easly allow the system to be over riden in the ECM until a better system is engineered. I am told the failure rate on these systems is 2%. I would consider that an unacceptable failure rate. The tow truck driver that towed my MH to the shop said his truck had been in the shop 5 times for the same thing. (Peterbilt truck) Just my thoughts!
Old 08-04-2022, 10:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGHRIDER3 View Post
Yes, it is mechanical and could be made more reliable, the system is also electronic as well. System should be designed with a overide for safety so one can get to a repair shop safely. I have talked to a number of OTR truck drivers trying to make a living and have the same problem. EPA could easly allow the system to be over riden in the ECM until a better system is engineered. I am told the failure rate on these systems is 2%. I would consider that an unacceptable failure rate. The tow truck driver that towed my MH to the shop said his truck had been in the shop 5 times for the same thing. (Peterbilt truck) Just my thoughts!

I agree 2% failure is too high. I wonder if there is a reasonable way to verify that figure?
Old 08-05-2022, 12:41 AM   #8

A EPA -approved software modification has been proposed, is awaiting final approval and diesel engine mfgrs to modify their software for distribution to dealers.
In the meantime there is a workaround.https://defsim.myervin.com/canbed-rp...nsor-simulator
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:51 AM   #9

The 2% failure rate was quoted to me by the manufacture. Sure hope Boeing does not accept a 2% failure rate!