Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2021, 08:00 PM   #1

Def low with full tank and Home button nonop

On my way to the dealer to have the new Black tank sensor installed. The night before I get the Coach out and connect it to the jeep do the typical walk around checking all fluid levels and potential leaks everything looks good.
Next day with a plan to leave a 06:00 still dark I start the coach do another walk around check lights on toad. Wife comes out and I prep the radio and seatbelt, turn on the headlights and find that the glass display is so bright I could not see through the windshield. I selected the user configurable display and scrolled down to the display brightness and turned it down to a manageable level hit the home button stepped on the brakes released the parking brake and Check engine came on with LOW Def. Now both the display and the tank say half full. Went to look at the diagnostics and the buttons on the steering wheel will not work.
What I did:
Checked the quality of the DEF
Contacted Freightliner 24/7 Road Side Service (RRS)
RRS said perform the 2 hour key on ECM reset, no change.
After I found the problem with the steering wheel controls I again contacted Freightliner 24/7 Road Side Service (RRS)
This time he said to turn the batteries off for 8 hours to do an ECM reset, no change. However, He also said it sounded like a communication failure.
Has anybody else run across this type of a combination failure?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2021, 08:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
First thing to do is identify the fault codes. None of these timed re-sets will do anything or make any difference. They are just the tech folks grasping at straws. Chances are your codes are the big three because you have a DEF head failure. How far do you have to drive to get to the service center?

If you are currently in Orangevale there are some options. First, Sacramento Truck Center is a good, reliable, honest Freightliner shop. Second they are close enough that you can get there without much concern about derate. Third, since its an errant low def issue, it will be covered under the emissions warranty.

If you dan access the diagnostic trouble codes, post them here. In the mean time schedule an appointment with Sac Truck Center as soon as possible.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #3

There are several threads about the DEF head failures and one has a workaround to get you back on the road. Even the EPA approves of this "homebrew" workaround so hundreds of truckers are not stranded. You must check DEF level by eyesight as it disables the remote level functions.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
There are several threads about the DEF head failures and one has a workaround to get you back on the road. Even the EPA approves of this "homebrew" workaround so hundreds of truckers are not stranded. You must check DEF level by eyesight as it disables the remote level functions.
I read through a massive amount of Def head Failures on this sit as well as others. However, I did not run across a workaround.

I currently do not have a code reader and since the Home button on the steering wheel went non op at the same accessing them onboard will not work.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:18 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
youíre still well within your emissions warranty and if you are in Orangevale, you're only 15 miles from Sacramento Truck Center (Freightliner shop) and they have a separate dedicated motorhome shop.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
youíre still well within your emissions warranty and if you are in Orangevale, you're only 15 miles from Sacramento Truck Center (Freightliner shop) and they have a separate dedicated motorhome shop.
Sacramento Truck has serviced all of my MHs. They are a very good shop and I know the RV Manager personally when he worked at Cummins in West Sac. The problem at Sac Truck is that when I called they said that even if I went into De-rate they would not accept the towed vehicle because they are completely full. Luckily I have an appointment Dec 1 which I made in September when I got the TRP for the fuel rail.

I called another good friend who also left Cummins and works for Allison in the Bay Area to see if he has a code reader. I told him what was going on and I mentioned that Cummins has an update to the ECM that allows the vehicle to be operated while awaiting for parts. He requested my engine number and got back to me stating that my MH qualifies for this update.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:16 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Well thats good news and not too long to wait, I had a similar delay - about a month to get my DEF pump replaced under warranty. And by then they will probably have the parts you need.

Im sure you've read plenty about this situation but in case you haven't heard, ignition cycles speed up the derate process, so don't start the engine until the day you drive to Sac Truck.

Not sure if that includes just turning on the ignition and not starting the engine so I wouldn't do that either unless you can confirm that it wont contribute to the derate countdown.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:26 PM   #8

DEF sensor simulator for those NOT under warranty.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:04 AM   #9

I case anybody is interested I just got my coach out of the shop. When I took it to the shop I did use the DEF Simulator I Built to avoid Derate. Thanks to Vic and the Group who did the research to build the DSS Units. Good job!

The DEF Head was replaced and the service was performed. However, The Steering wheel controls were not working when I dropped it off but when they called me and said they could not find a problem and ask me to come down and exactly show them what was going on. When I got there the Manager and I went out to the coach and I started it up and all of the systems were operational. I explained to him what happened and he said Freightliner has some recalls for ComModules but not for my coach. He said let me contact Freightliner and see what they say.

A week later they called and said the coach was ready to go.

What they found Front PDM Terminal corroded and 30 amp fuse corroded and signs of arching. Fuse for Steering motor located front left compartment under drivers seat. Terminals cleaned and fuse replaced.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:24 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Glad to hear you had a great response from your shop, and all is now well.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:15 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
What chassis do you have?
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 04:34 PM   #12

I’m glad it all worked out ok.
I was driving down to Florida on Christmas and I get an alert on my dash
“Radar Comm Failure”
Called Freightliner 24 hr number and they told me that the dash software was flashed in March 2020 to remove that alert since my MH doesn’t have adaptive cruise or collision avoidance.
I told him I guess it wasn’t flashed because I have yellow lights all over my dash.
He said bring in on in when you have a chance, lucky me it didn’t affect my 2500 mile trip.
I just had to put up with the yellow idiot lights
I still can’t figure out why it just happened now, since I’ve own this RV from March 2020 and drove it 28,000 miles without the idiot light going on.
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank