Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
If you pull in going the right way, more to the middle of the island as any driver would the hose has always been long enough to reach my fill from either side.....never had a problem with it....only the option but having said that, I have seen truckers pull any which way they can and I have never seen anyone made to back up yet. Though I don't log that many miles to be the best onservant of that. The right way or wrong way seems dependent upon the station.....a little common sense to know which way you should be pulling in goes a long way.

WDK

Willandjane: are you saying that the DEF hose, if on the drivers side, is long enough to pull around the back of the DP and forward on the passengers side so as to reach the DEF tank there??? That would be cool if so ...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
He is not talking fuel. He is talking DEF tank. Mine is on passenger side also and the truck stops have the DEF nossel on the drivers side. My RV is the same way. Leave it to an engineer. They need to get into the real world.

Ranger smith: no flames please. Seems to me that the DP's were designed with the DEF tank on the passenger side BEFORE the trucking industry normalized on the drivers side for the pumps. It takes a long time to re- engineer something like that. Give it time and my bet more DP designed will put the tank on the drivers side (some already are). (For the record, yes, I am an engineer. :-). )
Old 12-12-2015, 08:20 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
... Give it time and my bet more DP designed will put the tank on the drivers side (some already are).
The Newmars we looked at still have the tank on the curb side, but they've run a fill hose from the street side. There's a "fuel" door just ahead of and above the radiator, behind which there is a capped DEF fill access point.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Alternatives

I can not back in with a toad.
Most truck pumps isles are filled. Coming in from wrong direction is unsafe and ticks off others.
I do not want to carry another 15 gal = 120 lbs. Plus pumps etc.
Using the next over DEF isle hose there is always another truck there.
My solution is the simplest least weight least expensive .
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #19

I have the same "problem" DEF on passenger/right side. I carry a 10 gallon fuel can and keep it filled, when DEF is low will use fuel can to fill DEF and then refill it when at a fuel stop.
CCFROMFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
Ranger smith: no flames please. Seems to me that the DP's were designed with the DEF tank on the passenger side BEFORE the trucking industry normalized on the drivers side for the pumps. It takes a long time to re- engineer something like that. Give it time and my bet more DP designed will put the tank on the drivers side (some already are). (For the record, yes, I am an engineer. :-). )
I spend my whole life in maintenance, picking on Engineers and then one comes along that makes sense and I have to like him . . .
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I only have to refill the DEF tank twice per year. The throwaway 2.5 gallon jugs work great for me. I always carry a spare.

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:06 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Couldn't a person use the DEF pump in the next island. Pull the hose around the back of the pump and fill. Maybe the hose is not long enough. Be worth a try. Jim
Old 12-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #23

Can't a person carry a can with a spout, walk to the pump, fill the can and then dump into their coach? I don't have this EPA requirement on my MH so unfamiliar with it.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:08 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
Can't a person carry a can with a spout, walk to the pump, fill the can and then dump into their coach? I don't have this EPA requirement on my MH so unfamiliar with it.
That's exactly what I do. No big deal.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimmy View Post
Couldn't a person use the DEF pump in the next island. Pull the hose around the back of the pump and fill. Maybe the hose is not long enough. Be worth a try. Jim
As I said in an earlier post, this is the way I do it. The hose is long enough.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:26 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All i do is get the 2.5 gallon jugs. I have 2 of them and I just use them to fill the DEF tank. I refill the jugs at a truck stop.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #27
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
FYI, when I was at Freightliner, I noticed that there were RV chassis’ being built with the DEF tank on the driver’ side. Of course I asked about it and was told they build chassis’ to RV builder’s specifications.

I also asked about a ‘kit’ to move the DEF fill to the Driver’s side. But it’s not practical since it would be dependent on the RV builder’s design, which varies by model and Freightliner has no control over the design.

And I agree with the former Truck Driver, DO NOT PULL THRU THE FUEL ISLANDS THE WRONG WAY. I’ve seen what truck drives have done to RV’ers at the pumps when they think they’ve been wronged in some way, and it ain’t pretty.

John,

The DEF pumps I’ve used all had hoses on a spring loaded rewind reel, the ‘spring’ is always trying to rewind the hose, making use ‘interesting’. I’ve never tried to extend the hose very far, but it’s long enough to get to a tank on the driver’s side, or to a container.

gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:04 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
The Newmars we looked at still have the tank on the curb side, but they've run a fill hose from the street side. There's a "fuel" door just ahead of and above the radiator, behind which there is a capped DEF fill access point.

Interesting design choice. I wonder how this arrangement avoids the risk of overfill/overflow while filling? Are you expected to meter the amount of DEF you pump???

Tags
tank