Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2022, 11:28 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Defective Racor S3226T filters?

Our Racor S3226T diesel filter split along the seam, spewing fuel all over the back of our coach, and the front of our truck. This has happened twice, on each of our last 2 trips!! The first time we were in The Keys - the engine check light came on and the engine shut down. Today, we had just left home and another driver honked and alerted us to the spewing fuel before the engine shut down. We carry extra filters, so we were able to fix ourselves. Questions: 1) Is anyone else having problems with Racor filters? 2) Is there possibly some kind of pressure build up causing the filter seam to blow open?
- 2015 Newmar Dutch Star
TheMilnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2022, 11:31 AM   #2

Where is this filter in your fuel system.

Call Cummins with your engine serial number and ask what fuel pressure is at that location. Compare with the PSI ratings for the Racor filter and filter element.

Blowing two Racor filters strongly suggests an issue with your coach.
Old 01-26-2022, 01:13 PM   #3

Could high pressure from injector pump somehow surge back toward filter. Never heard of this even running Fass pump. Don't every OEM system injector pump take over after 30 second prime from the lift pump and become negative pressure on fuel filters. Then filter shouldn't be pressurized and able to split while driving after 30 seconds under normal circumstances.
Are you running Fass or AirDogg fuel pump.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 08:14 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Update: We called Freightliner, and they said there's no pressure at that point. It's suction. He then asked if both filters were from the same batch? We think so. Our next door neighbor is a mechanic for the county. He's never had a fuel filter split. He's wondering if we may be over-tightning the filter. Current filter is from a different batch. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilnes View Post
Update: We called Freightliner, and they said there's no pressure at that point. It's suction. He then asked if both filters were from the same batch? We think so. Our next door neighbor is a mechanic for the county. He's never had a fuel filter split. He's wondering if we may be over-tightning the filter. Current filter is from a different batch. Fingers crossed.

Ya, in 50 years of working on DP's and diesel powered boats, have never heard of a filter splitting.

If you still have one of the failed filters, could you post a picture?
Old 01-29-2022, 03:55 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMilnes View Post

What they should have stated is that there "should" be no pressure at the filter. It is not possible for the filter to rupture at zero to low pressure, I suspect the racor filter housing could handle up to ~100psi (although not necessarily rated for 100psi). In any case, the problem is that the fuel pressure from the high pressure pump to the injectors, or perhaps more likely the fuel "gear" pump above the filter is pressurizing the filter when it should be bypassing the filter and passing the excess pressure to the fuel return line. (or a high pressure filter is used)

I want to also make sure you are aware that while diesel is not easy to light with a match, a diesel mist under high pressure is extremely flammable and even without a spark, enough heat can ignite it. I would be very hesitant to simply change the filter again and wait and see if the problem reoccurs. If it does light up on fire, you will need a fairly large extinguisher if you even catch it in time.

I have worked on all types of diesel (and gasoline) engines over the years (not as a career) and familiar with the older systems, this is the system I think your may be and if check out page 2 it shows the gear pump and a series of solenoids over and above the filter, this "integrated fuel system module" (IFSM) is computer controlled and what I suspect is that one or more of the fuel return passages are plugged (perhaps partially) or one or more of the solenoids is malfunctioning... or the filter really is supposed to be a high pressure filter and isn't as noted below.

In any case, you should double check and see if this PDF is a match for your cummins fuel system and if so (or even if not so) I would highly suggest getting everything checked out in a diesel shop before something major occurs (fire), unless you are mechanical and can get the tools and a service manual. (I would try to get a filter from Cummins first though and try to compare it to the racor).

If you look at pages 13~14, they specifically state that the filter is a "Pressure Fuel Filter" so with that in mind, I suppose it is certainly possible that the genuine cummins filter may be designed to handle a lot more pressure than the Racor even if they are a match for the size. I couldn't find a service manual for the IFSM system, but I suspect all the answers could be found in one.

One other point, on page 5, this pdf states "The 380 psi high pressure regulator, installed in the IFSM between the gear pump and the filter, is a
safety valve to prevent damage in case of a stuck fuel shutoff valve or other blockage in the fuel lines after the gear pump."
this statement to me implies that the filter may actually have a lot of pressure on it ~380 psi.

btw, not sure why the link says "recall" in the name of the file, I didn't see anything in the pdf about a recall.

https://usermanual.wiki/Document/ISX....648997279.pdf

The fuel system developed for the Signature and ISX engine was constructed to deliver precise injected fuel quantities with precise injection timing at high injection pressures. The system consists of six high-pressure unit injectors and an integrated fuel system module (IFSM) containing actuators that provide various fuel pressure pulse widths to individually control injection quantity and injection timing, a pump and regulator for fuel supply pressure, a 10 micron pressure side filter, and various sensors for system monitoring. The system is controlled by an advanced electronic control module (ECM), which makes fueling and timing decisions based on temperature, barometric air pressure, boost pressure, exhaust gas pressure and throttle position.
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 03:08 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Oops - not a Racor

I located the pic we took of the first filter that split along the seam. This was an IGM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220130-083140.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	355264  
Old 02-01-2022, 03:34 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi - If that is one of those plastic case filters (it looks like it is) then there have been numerous reports of the cases cracking and leaking. In particular some of the off brands have many reports of failure. Take a look at the amazon page on this filter in particular. You will see the same complaint as yours where the filters have failed. Don't buy IGM filters.

Tom
Old 02-01-2022, 05:48 PM   #9

We had our filter crack for no reason, and cover our Jeep with fuel. It was a Wix brand filter. Happen last September.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote