Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2021, 08:14 PM   #1

Deflated air bag suspension

While driving up Cedar Mt., UT, all of a sudden the ride become rough. First thought was a rear tire blown. No blown tire, but air bags for the suspension were all deflated. On further inspection I don’t see any ruptured air bags or broken air lines.
Checked air leveling valves (removed rods and manually moved them) on the front axle, they seem to be ok. Soap tested lines, bags and fittings.
I do hear an air leak behind the rear axle (left side of coach in the frame rail). It looks like there is a valve of some sort in the frame rail. Due to it location I haven’t been able to spray it with soapy water to see an air leak. Looks like an air line from the valve goes over to the exhaust brake valve. Air gauges zeros in about 5-6 mins. when the engine is shut down.
My question is, are these 2 ( air bags and exhaust brake) tied together or could it be something else causing my problem?
mswdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Deflated air bag suspension

It might be a blown brake chamber diaphragm in rear. I had similar symptoms getting ready to leave on a trip in our driveway. Would not build air pressure and leaking back through brake valves.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:25 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If the brakes lost air, wouldn't the coach be immovable?
Old 08-05-2021, 08:53 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If that's a valve on the frame rail, chances are it's the air suspension dump valve. No telling what caused it to open up, but it could be a false signal from another source or a failed valve.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
If that's a valve on the frame rail, chances are it's the air suspension dump valve. No telling what caused it to open up, but it could be a false signal from another source or a failed valve.
That happened to our MH, dump valve would not close even though it had not been activated that day. Luckily I was stopped at a Camping World; a mechanic replaced the dump valve in the parking lot.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:43 PM   #6

Follow up on my air bag suspension. So there is a small air tank in front of the rear axle. It has two 1/2” lines, one on each end of the tank, that supply the air bags and there are two 1/4” tee fitting coming out the side of the tank, that supply the levelers. Teed into the 1/4” air line is a 1/2” line that goes over the differential to the valve (a dump valve ?, don’t know) that’s located in the frame rail (that’s behind the rear axle, on the left side), that supplies air to the exhaust brake. I disconnected the 1/2” air line at the tee and capped it off for now, to get us home home with a smoother ride. The air bags inflated and ride height is again achieved. I will follow up on the identification of the valve when I get it replaced. Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions.
mswdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:31 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Glad you figured out a workaround to get you home. Maybe this will help identify what you are looking at. This is the dump valve on our Power Glide chassis. Yours may look different but the function is the same. Apply power to one side to open the valve, then to the other to close it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirDumpValve.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	338647  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:10 AM   #8

This might help. The small air tank in front of axle is the accumulator tank for rear air springs. It has a manual water drain valve, which is a radiator petcock. There should never be water in this tank BTW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	compressed air plumbing.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	338648  
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, suspension