Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2018, 11:38 AM   #1

Delay in generator starting

I have a Onan 4kw microlite generator in my 1998 fleetwood. My issue is there is a delay in the generator turning over after I press the start button. The delay can be as much as 5 to 7 seconds. I have the same voltage at the house battery in the engine as I do at the generator solenoid. I don't think it's a priming function as the gen is to old to have that feature. It does not make a difference if I use the aux switch as well. Still turns over slowly. Cables appear clean. I have a Volt meter on the dash and it goes down to 10 volts when I energize the gen start. Seems like a big voltage drop for a small engine with fully charged batteries. DO starters wear out?

Thanks in advance
Graydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Is this a diesel gen?
Old 04-12-2018, 11:50 AM   #3

No it is gas.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graydude View Post
DO starters wear out?
Yes, starters do wear out and starter solenoid contacts get burned to the point they don't pass amperage very well.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
In these day of "smart" generators, there is often a delay between the push of the start button and the generator cranking. This is in the software. But my 2003 Onan is not so configured, has no software, and cranks when you push the switch. Is it possible this has been repowered? If not, then you need to be standing by the unit while someone hits the button, and listen to what happens. A click might indicate a weak solenoid or a tired starter. If no noise, add the switch and wiring between to above. Do you hold the switch until cranking commences or do you have to keep hitting it?
Old 04-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #6

If your generator is drawing down good batteries to 10 volts, there is a good chance the starter is bad.

A bad connection or arcing solenoid contacts, wouldn't draw the volts down to 10.

The only other thing, could be partially seized bearings in the generator end.

Can you turn the engine by hand somehow ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Is it any different if the coach is running and the charging system is in play?
Old 04-12-2018, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Can you turn the engine by hand somehow ?
I can pull the spark plug out and see if that makes a difference.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzag03 View Post
Is it any different if the coach is running and the charging system is in play?
No difference if the motor is running or not
Old 04-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #10

I would agree with starter is starting to give up. You could always take it off and take it to a parts store and have it tested.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graydude View Post
I have a Onan 4kw microlite generator in my 1998 fleetwood. My issue is there is a delay in the generator turning over after I press the start button. The delay can be as much as 5 to 7 seconds. I have the same voltage at the house battery in the engine as I do at the generator solenoid. I don't think it's a priming function as the gen is to old to have that feature. It does not make a difference if I use the aux switch as well. Still turns over slowly. Cables appear clean. I have a Volt meter on the dash and it goes down to 10 volts when I energize the gen start. Seems like a big voltage drop for a small engine with fully charged batteries. DO starters wear out?

Thanks in advance

They sure do!!!!!
Baron Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #12

Update

Genset is working great now. Replaced the starter. Apparently the windings went bad. Kinda sad for a genset with only 570 hours on it. 3.5 hours of tech labor and I supplied an OEM starter that I paid $107.00 for on Amazon. Thanks for all the comments!

Tags
generator