Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #15

Calculating / Estimating Depreciation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
... I am asking this on the Class A forum because more of you have bought/sold motor homes. ...
When I started researching motorhome prices I ran into a depreciation calculator in Excel. I can't remember the source. It has a few variables to estimate the depreciation cost, such as New MSRP and cost of driving off the dealer's lot. The yearly PERCENT Depreciation Numbers are from numerous sources including NADA, it claims.

I've used it as a reference with a couple of tweaks, depending on the perceived brand value (slower or faster depreciation), to arrive to the current year value price of a gently used coach. Close enough for me.

See attached a photo of a sample calculation in the Excel file. Can't attach it here but happy to email you a copy if interested. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Depreciation.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	139500  
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just because you buy factory direct doesnt mean your saving. It just means the company is pocketing what would go to the dealer and salesperson. Rv's normally depreciate 20% the first year and thats from invoice not from msrp. So if your new motorhome has an msrp of 140k with an average markup of 30%, that means a year later, its worth 78k wholesale. 10 percent depreciation every year thereafter until it starts to slow down. Again, wholesale figures.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius View Post
When I started researching motorhome prices I ran into a depreciation calculator in Excel. I can't remember the source. It has a few variables to estimate the depreciation cost, such as New MSRP and cost of driving off the dealer's lot. The yearly PERCENT Depreciation Numbers are from numerous sources including NADA, it claims.

I've used it as a reference with a couple of tweaks, depending on the perceived brand value (slower or faster depreciation), to arrive to the current year value price of a gently used coach. Close enough for me.

See attached a photo of a sample calculation in the Excel file. Can't attach it here but happy to email you a copy if interested. Good luck!

Pretty much on target with what I said.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
And then there are those that think you can walk in and buy a high end motorhome and get 30% off sticker. Doesn't work that way folks, there isn't that much extra built into the high end units. You might get 10%.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 01:32 PM   #19

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. It will depend on the make, but discounts of 25-35% can be had on clean deals with no trade. Entegras are consistently advertised at 25% off and negotiations will get closer to 35% depending on the dealer. Tiffin and Newmar are closer to 25% after negotiation.

As to the Excel depreciation calculator, it would depend on the source of it. Anyone can put together a spreadsheet that claims the numbers are correct, but there are so many factors involved that the best anyone can do is come up with a rough general range of how much a unit may depreciate.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Buy USED.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #21

Seems the 2017 DX3 is going for 215k-220k right now from the larger dealers. Seen a few used 2015s out there going for around 170-180k.
Aim High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
I'm going to disagree with you on this one. It will depend on the make, but discounts of 25-35% can be had on clean deals with no trade. Entegras are consistently advertised at 25% off and negotiations will get closer to 35% depending on the dealer. Tiffin and Newmar are closer to 25% after negotiation.
Spot on.
marknpeg is offline   Reply With Quote