RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
OP from WA State!

You can see which camp I'm in. Depreciation has never entered into my calculations when buying a vehicle.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUBBS View Post
It is called a "depreciating asset" IT GOES DOWN
True statement no argument there.......... if you're buying at full value or close to it. But not when your buying one at 25% to 30% of it's value.

Buy it right and you have some buffer before it is worth less than you paid. That is obviously not going to work for everybody. It requires a lot of research, a place to get work done reasonably and the ability to do some work yourself. BUT it can be done.

I could turn mine right now offering it considerably less than book for over double what I have into it. It could be an investment if I decided to do that but right now we want to use it and have some fun.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 11:56 AM   #17

Makes little difference.....gas vs diesel.....new vs older.....entry level vs higher end. They can all be a money pit at times. Although most of us got into this lifestyle aware of that, it can be a bit of an eye opener for a newbie.

Keep your wallet full....and credit card ready.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #18

Remember that that $350 oil change on a DP is good for 15,000 miles. How far does that $75-$100 change on a gasser take you?? A DP does cost more to maintain, but when you add back in the value of the enjoyment level boost from driving it all day, there's not much difference.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Remember that that $350 oil change on a DP is good for 15,000 miles. How far does that $75-$100 change on a gasser take you?? A DP does cost more to maintain, but when you add back in the value of the enjoyment level boost from driving it all day, there's not much difference.
That driving all day argument doesn't apply if you don't drive all day.

FWIW, we chose a new gas over a used diesel. Diesels are more expensive to maintain and they are, generally, larger. We wanted small. As I said, I don't think the gas vs diesel is as important when you aren't driving a lot. Full timers typically drive 5000 mile a year on average. The pleasure isn't derived from the driving but the sitting. Sitting is just as enjoyable in a gasser as it is a diesel. Fancy wood, marble floors and etched glass don't really add a whole lot to the experience, IMHO.

But if you're driving a lot for whatever reason, maybe the diesel experience is worth the downsides. You need to consider your use of the coach, your desire/ability to make repairs and perform maintenance, your budget, what kind of amenities you want, etc., etc., etc.

Floor plan trumps engine type. So does size. You virtually can't get a sub 35 foot coach in diesel. if you want something over 38 feet, you're looking at diesel. If you buy a coach with a floor plan that you hate, doesn't matter what engine you chose. Find a coach that you like first then worry about what's under the hood.

And to answer the original question, I wouldn't worry about depreciation. Especially on an older coach. They've taken the biggest hit and are leveled off or nearing that point. Very far down on the list or concerns.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #20

I would spend 10 - 15 minutes considering (including worrying) about depreciation with respect to the purchase equation. IMHO, any more time devoted to this issue will suck the joy out of what is (hopefully) intended to be a pleasurable adventure and/or lifestyle. "Investment" and "RV" do not belong in the same sentence or county. BTW, if you don't have an emergency cash fund of approx $10k after all purchase costs for unanticipated repairs, at some point down the road you will probably regret the purchase.

Happy trails!
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:59 PM   #21

I don't mind a project to a level! HAHA I'm pretty mechanically inclined. I own my own body shop! I think we can handle the service part of it. TIRES??? I know I can buy them but installing is another concern?
I just want to get a higher quality coach that has much more life in it, that has been serviced and prove it with receipts and taken care of! That if I need to sell or have to sell in a couple of years I can at least pay the loan off if it already isn't paid off!
And I know you can't predict the future! I just want to be able to travel safely!
Wright1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #22

Everyone has their priorities. We started in a couple of gassers, but needed more capacity to tow our toys. Try pulling a 12,000# enclosed trailer with any gasser. We're back to an open trailer now, but still over 8000#. We financed three of our DP's but only for two years, so depreciation wasn't important to us. Dan is correct. Once you are parked, the experience is the same. We put on about 10,000 miles each year traveling between homes, but only sleep in the coach less than 4-5 weeks. We have what works for our needs/wants and a DP is what we need to fulfill our priorities.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote