RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Lockinload,
The problem with many forums is, you only read of ISSUES, and PROBLEMS. Very, very few folks get on here or, other RV forums and report good times, easy maintenance, CHEAP TRIPS, EXCELLENT GAS MILEAGE and all the good stuff we sometimes encounter in the RV world. If one was just thinking of getting into RVing and had never had any form of contact with them or, for some odd reason had not ever seen one etc., and they're first contact was reading this or any other RV forum, they most likely would NEVER BUY ONE.

The Jeep Wrangler is one of the most popular vehicles around. And certainly very, very popular in the RV world. There's a zillion of them being towed everywhere in the U.S. by RVs. But, if you get onto a Jeep JK forum, and didn't know anything about them, and were interested in buying one, you'd also quite possibly be shied away due to the many, many issues that are reported on those forums.

But, again, there's just not that many folks that report, "hey, had a great time in our Jeep today. It ran perfect, nothing broke, I got fantastic gas mileage on a recent trip. It cost me very little to fix an issue, my maintenance is next to nothing etc". and so on.

RVing is everything and anything. Good, bad, in between, costly, cheap, headaches, fun times, BAD TIMES, meeting great people, meeting total idiots, seeing great places, learning about our great country, and a whole lot more. You have to take the good with the bad and, write off the bad. Enjoy your new toy and have as much fun as you can.
Scott
I have had little to no problems and I get great gas mileage. Cheap trips...ok you got me on that one. That's a no
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2018, 10:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
You guys have a good point. There is no need to ask a question for something that works just fine. Imagine the thread "my absorption fridge works great all the time".

TexasTom,
In actuality, a thread like that is fairly informative. There are folks that are not all that schooled on how RV stuff works. So, if you were to post a thread about how nice it worked, and the reasons, like, you always get your coach as level as possible, you don't leave it on while you're parked unlevel, even for a very short while and, maybe in an effort to pre-cool it in getting ready for a trip, you throw a block of ice in the bottom of it which, assists it in bringing down the temp of a warm fridge seriously faster. It might not be the type of thread we're all used to but, to some, it might be a bit of knowledge and encouragement for them to practice in their RV. Who knows?

Besides, I wonder just how many on here actually KNOW how an RV "Absorbtion" fridge actually works?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
TexasTom,
In actuality, a thread like that is fairly informative. There are folks that are not all that schooled on how RV stuff works. So, if you were to post a thread about how nice it worked, and the reasons, like, you always get your coach as level as possible, you don't leave it on while you're parked unlevel, even for a very short while and, maybe in an effort to pre-cool it in getting ready for a trip, you throw a block of ice in the bottom of it which, assists it in bringing down the temp of a warm fridge seriously faster. It might not be the type of thread we're all used to but, to some, it might be a bit of knowledge and encouragement for them to practice in their RV. Who knows?

Besides, I wonder just how many on here actually KNOW how an RV "Absorbtion" fridge actually works?
Scott
I do but that's because when mine didn't perform properly I got educated on how to make it work better. Ultimately that education led me to a conclusion I did not want an absorbtion fridge.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 12:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Don't go cheap on ANYTHING. Repairs or upgrades. Get the best and learn how to take care of it
Be thankful that you're able to do what you're doing, because there are a lot of folks that wish they could do what you do
Cheap and proud of it!

So let me comment on this. I try to spend as little as possible and seem to find better quality. Paying more does not mean you will get the best.

Before retiring did not own a RV for more than 30 years unless you count owning boats. I paid very little for my boat big enough to 'camp' because I was not sure I would enjoy sailing on a bigger boat. Thirty years later I am sitting on the water with the same boat. The MH is parked in our yacht club campground.

Same story with going full time in a MH. First HR gasser was under $10k because we did not know we would love it.

So I am thankful that I did not wait to start doing because it was too expensive.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:06 AM   #19

Did I get my self in trouble with the last post?

There are two things that I have no expectation of working on a regular basis. HWH leveling jacks and slides. But I have getting good at trouble shooting.

Usually it is just a dirty contacts. After checking fuses for the jacks, took it apart and cleaned the contacts. Turns out it was a cheap 'on/off' switch. Only lasted 20 years.

I think I have the same issue with the slide. It was working today.
followingsea is offline   Reply With Quote