Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #1

Depressing

I've been RVing for 25 years plus and have finally made it to a DP, which is probably why I have joined this group. If I had never owned an RV and followed these threads I probably would never buy one. It seems like they are nothing but a problem when you read thread after thread about problems. When I say never buy one, I mean "any" RV.

I say this in jest because there is just something special about the independence of being on the road and traveling. But ya all got to admit, it can get depressing in here, not to mention...expensive.

FYI, I replaced the motor in my Kwiki steps today. I didn't know they were suppose to be quiet.
lockinload is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #2

You're seeing an internet phenomenon. People that aren't having problems aren't here to post; They're on the road somewhere.

People like me like to read, learn, and have to work so can't be on the road full time so here we are
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:13 PM   #3

Lockinload,
The problem with many forums is, you only read of ISSUES, and PROBLEMS. Very, very few folks get on here or, other RV forums and report good times, easy maintenance, CHEAP TRIPS, EXCELLENT GAS MILEAGE and all the good stuff we sometimes encounter in the RV world. If one was just thinking of getting into RVing and had never had any form of contact with them or, for some odd reason had not ever seen one etc., and they're first contact was reading this or any other RV forum, they most likely would NEVER BUY ONE.

The Jeep Wrangler is one of the most popular vehicles around. And certainly very, very popular in the RV world. There's a zillion of them being towed everywhere in the U.S. by RVs. But, if you get onto a Jeep JK forum, and didn't know anything about them, and were interested in buying one, you'd also quite possibly be shied away due to the many, many issues that are reported on those forums.

But, again, there's just not that many folks that report, "hey, had a great time in our Jeep today. It ran perfect, nothing broke, I got fantastic gas mileage on a recent trip. It cost me very little to fix an issue, my maintenance is next to nothing etc". and so on.

RVing is everything and anything. Good, bad, in between, costly, cheap, headaches, fun times, BAD TIMES, meeting great people, meeting total idiots, seeing great places, learning about our great country, and a whole lot more. You have to take the good with the bad and, write off the bad. Enjoy your new toy and have as much fun as you can.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #4

What Scott said X2. 90% or more of what people post on most forums is the problems they have had and are looking for help. I do not post how trouble free our Bus has been and how happy we are with it. That would be like pouring salt into a wound to those who have problems. Also, I suspect the membership here is but a small fraction of happy campers out on the road enjoying the lifestyle.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockinload View Post
If I had never owned an RV and followed these threads I probably would never buy one.
Yeah I hear ya but...

I've voiced our opinions about this topic here before. There is a lot of folks that go buy RV's on an impulse, a whim, a dreamy thought and then 6 months or a year later, their RV is parked in an open storage area somewhere rotting away in slow motion. Then when they get the urge to go out and HAVE FUN—ut oh—stuff isn't working...what do I do. PANIC...!! Then they come here for answers.

Then there's the group of folks that come here to this forum CARE about their RV. They want it to run at optimum, or aren't happy with OEM installs and want to upgrade, or increase their luxury options, or maybe chassis handling problems, or I want to fix my fridge myself...yada, yada, yada. They want to know how to take care of their fun vehicle or their "home" on wheels.

We are FTers and travel, so our RV is our home, so our thoughts are from this perspective.

To really enjoy your RV, IMO requires:
• The need to become at least somewhat handy and be proficient in problem solving which requires patience many times
• Be willing to constantly be learning about all your systems and enjoy the challenges
• Perform maintenance on EVERYTHING religiously and keep records so you don't fall behind and forget stuff
• Understand and enjoy taking care of your RV (a labor of love, taking pride in your rig)
• Don't look at life as a glass 1/2 empty but 1/2 full
• Have a great partner that travels with you and is a TEAM player that carries their load of responsibilities
• Don't go cheap on ANYTHING. Repairs or upgrades. Get the best and learn how to take care of it
• Be thankful that you're able to do what you're doing, because there are a lot of folks that wish they could do what you do
• Have realistic expectations
• and expect the unexpected and be prepared to deal with it

In summary, learning how your stuff works and taking care of it regularly will eliminate 90% of all the negativity you read on line.

We love our RV life and will never go back to S & B. NEVER!

Our 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gracie-and-toad.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	218625  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #6

We actually did have a thread going on the Newmar forum where a number of us posted about how boring our coaches were.
It took a week before someone got butthurt about how HE had problems so obviously we we're all mocking him (somehow).
Out of that thread I got the only three people I ever blocked here. It appears that two of them took their ball and went home. I occasionally see the third one as "Spoiler alert".
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
EXCELLENT GAS MILEAGE
Scott, I agree with everything you said, other than this bit. Somehow Ive never experienced that LOL.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #8

Ha, I get it and I understand and agree with most of what you all have said. I too come here to learn. I used to scuba dive... a lot. I would go to the forums and read about diving accidents because I wanted to learn what NOT to do or, and I hate to say it like this but, to learn from others mistakes.

Like I said, I've been doing this for a long time. My kids best memories are camping in the Cab Over in Yosemite year after year.

I'm not really depressed but I feel some of the pain of those with problems. Hey, the good news is, my steps are quiet now. It's all good.

Also, I am ecstatic to get 10mpg, from my (new to me) DP. Pulling a toad no less. My last Winnie was 8.5.
lockinload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo-tek View Post
You're seeing an internet phenomenon. People that aren't having problems aren't here to post; They're on the road somewhere.

People like me like to read, learn, and have to work so can't be on the road full time so here we are

2X! I cant tell you how many times Ive fixed minor issues because I saw the fix here first. I read and dream of a day not far away when well be on the road more. Being a DIY person, all those little problems are to me what puzzles and books are to others... [emoji16]
Smhutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #10

Just to chime in, I started a “I don’t have any problems” thread in the National RV group specifically because it seemed all the happy campers were staying quiet. Just for folks to pipe up that things still work and it’s going well or whatever. It doesn’t take away from the knowledge and support.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #11

Might be more of a dont want to jinx myself by saying nothing is wrong. I did that once with a minivan I had. Right after I said it, the thing blew a timing belt. SSSSHHHHHH. Working on these things is part of owning one. If you arent prepared to do the work, or pay someone else to do it, rving is not for you.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #12

For those of us that have been a DIY type for decades, RVing is a frame of mind. We pretty much know that they're man made which, means anything can break, at any time and, we'll just have to handle it when it happens. For those that are not or, never have been a tinkerer or DIY type, it can be a rude awakening when you purchase one of these rolling gymnasiums and all hell breaks loose on your first trip or, pieces and parts start breaking as time goes on.

There are folks that have had great luck with their coach from day one, used or new. And there are some, that had the coach break on the way home from purchase. As Marjoe stated so brilliantly, GET TO KNOW YOUR COACH, PERIOD!

If it came with books, GET THEM OUT AND READ THEM! Even if you don't understand what you're reading, read it anyways and, then ask on here about what you're reading and you'll definitely get help. The more you read, the more you'll understand and, that may help you in a situation where you'd not know anything about previously. Even a slight amount of knowledge of a given system can make you more at ease when something pops up.

RVing is fun. It can be a pain. And, RVing is not the same to all who do it. for some, it's out in the boonies with the bugs. For others, it's in Palm Springs CA (or any other higher end RV Resort) with your own ownership of a high end RV Resort spot, complete with a cabana with a laundry room and more.

It's very, very hard to educate in advance, ALL who are thinking about purchase, or have purchased an RV, about all the bennies and pitfalls of RV ownership. And we all know about how incorrect information from less than capable salesfolks mislead many, many new RVers and that makes things worse.

So, those of us who are on this and a couple of other RV forums, are aware of the potential of issues, past and present and, can either fix them or at least ask for help. But, the ones that never have been nor ever will be a member of an RV forum, quite possibly will have a considerably harder time in the early stages of RVing, if they're not the DIY types, and due to no regular communications with folks that are willing to help.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You guys have a good point. There is no need to ask a question for something that works just fine. Imagine the thread "my absorption fridge works great all the time".
Old 09-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
You guys have a good point. There is no need to ask a question for something that works just fine. Imagine the thread "my absorption fridge works great all the time".
I am a fairly new member and like to read the threads and posts so I can identify and solve possible problems before they leave me stranded along side the road. This forum is great for that. It is a wealth of information and knowledge and people that are willing to share it.