Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2020, 07:33 AM   #1

Detailing Your Coach

When I was young (50's), I took delight in washing and waxing all of my personal vehicles. About 10 years ago I tried a detailing service to do the motorhome. They did a great job and called them back the next two years. @ $10/ft, it was adding up for my 43' MH, so I took it on myself the next year. I was pooped when done, but felt richer for doing it. Then three years of a husband/wife team did it. It was easier to write the check. Last year, I felt ambitious again and took my time, a little bit each day for four days. Worked out ok. Today, I will finish it again for this year, but yesterday I realized that as I approach 80, my knees do not like going up and down a 14' step ladder several times to do the top 5'. Then a friend told me of an acquaintance doing the same thing fell off the ladder and was killed. With that bit of info along with my knees, that $430 each year seems like a bargain. This WILL be my last year for detailing our coach. Age has a way of telling us when to quit. I'll just get the checkbook out and be happy.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2020, 08:00 AM   #2

Good decision paying someone to do that. I have numerous friends that injured themselves falling off ladders. One of my clients broke an ankle coming down off the last rung! I purchased the GP Logistics ladder for my MH and it’s now in my garage because it just seemed unsteady in certain site conditions. Have the Little Giant Velocity ladder in my MH. Takes up more space but I feel much safer when using it. As one of my friends that injured themselves falling off a ladder told me, “I didn’t realize how fast gravity works”.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:20 PM   #3

I hear you on the step ladder. Last year I bought a Baker scaffold at Lowes. It has lockable castor wheels for moving it around. It made the ladder obsolete as far as working on the sides of the coach.

It was a great $200 investment, and it breaks down into small pieces for storage.
RichardE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #4

Spent all day waxing. Great idea using a scaffolding. Going to get one for the next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3AA7511-9EE7-4BD9-B50E-F533BF7055AE.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	527.2 KB
ID:	296430  
Jgeib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:54 PM   #5

I would pass on the $10.00 per foot. But I was visiting a friend in AZ and got us a few days for free at the resort he was staying/working at. The resort authorized 3 wash companies to do business there. They provided their phone numbers. So I asked my friend which one he would suggest. Just so happen the one he suggested were doing the coach next to me. I asked the cost to wash and hand wax the coach and was quoted $120.00 My reply was "When can you do it?"
They did wash the roof but did not wax it. Two of them took 5 hours to complete the job and it looked great. Competition is a great thing. Might have to visit that park yearly.
I did give each of them a generous tip. Made me a Happy Camper.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #6

I bought a used scissor lift and it has been great and very safe, downside is storing it.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I’ve washed and waxed my coach three times each of the last three years. Just today I sealed the roof, after washing it yesterday. I’m beat. Plus I’m not that happy with the result, since my body didn’t allow me to do as good a job as I’d like.

I used Mop-N-Glo the first year and Zep Floor Wax last year. Neither held up well. Caulked really bad. This year I used the pictured product. Hopefully it lasts.

I’m in good shape for 63, but cleaning and waxing the roof in the morning sun, is getting harder. I may contract it out going forward. Then I don’t have to worry about falling.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:06 PM   #8

In Yuma Az, Pappy’s detailing will wash/wax your coach for $120. Toed wash included. He has not raised his price for 8 years I’ve had him. Usually he will pull up to my coach before I’m set up at Fortuna Del Sol. Wax job lasts full year.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #9

The scissors lift is a great idea. My son has a powered one for his business. His home shop/storage building that I use has a concrete floor and is plenty wide to run the lift in and alongside the coach. I could lift myself to the height needed and drive it from up top. I would never have to get on a ladder again. Thanks for the idea. Guess I will be polishing it again next year the easy way.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:17 PM   #10

We do our own washing and waxing. For waxing scaffolding is the only way, you stand on a very stable plate from and can use buckets hung off for putting wax rags and buffer. I have it for business but use it for the MH.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #11

I have used a scissor lift for the last 4 years and it’s the only way to wax a large rv. My garage is large enough to get down both sides with ease and I keep it in the garage all the time. Also works great for cleaning the windows especially the windshield.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44B
Becromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becromer View Post
I have used a scissor lift for the last 4 years and it’s the only way to wax a large rv. My garage is large enough to get down both sides with ease and I keep it in the garage all the time. Also works great for cleaning the windows especially the windshield.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44B

Could you possibly post a picture of the scissor lift. This could be a great Christmas gift for me to give DH.

Thanks
GonetoRaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #13

Impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
When I was young (50's), I took delight in washing and waxing all of my personal vehicles. About 10 years ago I tried a detailing service to do the motorhome. They did a great job and called them back the next two years. @ $10/ft, it was adding up for my 43' MH, so I took it on myself the next year. I was pooped when done, but felt richer for doing it. Then three years of a husband/wife team did it. It was easier to write the check. Last year, I felt ambitious again and took my time, a little bit each day for four days. Worked out ok. Today, I will finish it again for this year, but yesterday I realized that as I approach 80, my knees do not like going up and down a 14' step ladder several times to do the top 5'. Then a friend told me of an acquaintance doing the same thing fell off the ladder and was killed. With that bit of info along with my knees, that $430 each year seems like a bargain. This WILL be my last year for detailing our coach. Age has a way of telling us when to quit. I'll just get the checkbook out and be happy.
I am really impressed, I’m 67 and can’t do it.. But listening to my wife, it’s best for me to leave it to the pros, cause it’ll cost just as much if not more if I would do it myself. What with Doctor bills and all. (LOL)

In fact it pisses me of that I can’t even climb the ladder to get up on the roof any more....

My mom use to tell me “You gotta be strong to get old” Boy... she wasn’t kidding, and you gotta have the money to get people to do what you can’t anymore...
Chuckdee is offline   Reply With Quote